where to leave car outside of Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be renting a car in Tuscany but do not want to drive to Florence bcz of all the parking/restricted driving issues. where is the best place to leave the car (not overnite) outside of the city? thanks!!!
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Piazzale Michelangelo is south os the river and therefore outside the area with restrictions. It is a large free parking lot and scenic overlook.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM

We just got back from a week in Tuscany with cars. We drove to Siena one day and it was a nightmare. After some consideration, several days later we left the cars in Greve (nearest town to our farmhouse) and took the bus to Florence. It worked out beautifully. Had we decided to take the cars, we planned to park in the Piazzale Michelangelo.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the helpful tips! is it usually easy to find parking in Piazzale Michelangelo? mamcalice, do u have any sights in tuscany that you would definitely recommend or advise against? we would be very grateful for the tips! why couldn't you park your car outside of Siena? what made it such a nightmare?
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Are there any problems regard theft, etc with leaving your car all night at Pza Mick - Is it guarded?

You could also park it at the Florence-Rifredi train station's parking garage, a few miles north of Florence, like many locals do when going away by train; the area is connected by the tram to the town center - Duomo area.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM

We parked at the garage below the train station in FLorence. Crowded but easy. Piazza della Stazione, the parking lot was easy to see -- marked by the big blue "P" sign, and a ramp going underground. Remember pay before you go the get the car.You get a ticket at the entrance, and then before you go to your car to leave, you put the ticket in one of the self-pay machines to pay, and then after you get your car, you insert the paid ticket to leave at the gate.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM

Siena
Parking ideas: http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/parking_siena.htm
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 06:29 PM

We did eventually park outside Siena but the traffic was a nightmare and we wasted over an hour parking and walking to the center. And, unfortunately, someone hit our car and caused a minor scrape while we were parked. Since we didn't know who hit us, we were responsible. The trip to Florence by bus was so much more relaxed. We had a lovely time and I would recommend visiting Florence, Siena and Greve, the small hill town of Montefioralle and the small town of Panzano very near our house. We had a winery and garden tour at Vignamaggio, the villa where Kenneth Branaugh's "Much Ado about Nothing" was filmed; visited the Abbey of Sant' Antimo outside of Montalcino; had a Brunello tasting in Montalcino, had dinner at Ristoro di Lamole (highly recommended). I don't think there is anything we did that I would advise against. I'm not sure what time of year you are going but the end of September was wonderful with flawless weather. Have a fabulous time!
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM

If you are considering parking at the station lot in Florence, do be careful of crossing no drive zones. I myself would be worried.

I have seen people waiting turns for spots at Piazzale Michelangelo. It is really protected by guards, but it is very public. I would rather find a manned garage or lot on the outskirts, if I were leaving luggage in the car.

Siena may have been a parking nightmare if it was a Wednesday. Wednesday is market day in Siena, and while it isn't a great market for visitors, it is hugely busy and popular with locals. Parking can be more of a problem at that time.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 03:43 AM

We had no trouble parking at the Piazzale Michelangelo at 9ish in the morning, but it was packed when we came back late in the day. Ditto parking outside Siena. The lot was just outside the walls, near the church that has St Catherine's head on display (the contents were more memorable than the name of the church). There is a good parking lot in Greve, also. I think the secret is to go early, and the idea of driving in the centro historico of any of these towns is madness.

If you are staying in a place with bus access, mamcalice's advice is excellent.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 07:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Ackislander - San Domenico.
http://www.basilicacateriniana.com/index_en.htm
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Thank you, kybourbon! I think I might have to have an Old Granddad in your honor!
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM

San Domenico would be good, it's on the 7 bus route into Florence and there's a bus every 15 minutes. Tickets cost 4.80 euro for four trips.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Where are you staying in Tuscany? In general it's better to take the bus or the train from a nearby town than driving to the outskirts of Florence.

I have fond memories of parking in Barbarino di Mugello, walking across a bridge over the river into the main square, buying bus tickets at the Jolly cafe, and busing into central Florence. In particular, the bus trip home in the late afternoon/early evening had magnificent scenery.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 08:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh no! Not Old Grandad. Make it Elijah Craig (my ancestor), but you will have to choose between 12 year and 18 year.
http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/2...bon_review.php

I've stayed at a convent beside/behind San Domenico several times.