Tuscany - car rental vs. public trans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going on our 1 year anniversary trip to Italy, and will be renting a small villa in Tuscany (probably near Siena) for about a week as part of the trip.

For someone who has never spent any time in this region, would renting a car make more sense than using public transportation or taxis to take day trips? If we were to rent a car and drive to Florence (for example), wouldn't it be difficult to find a place to park it for the day?

Thanks, and happy travels!
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:16 AM
rex

<<would renting a car make more sense than using public transportation or taxis to take day trips?>>

Absolutely, in my opinion.

<<If we were to rent a car and drive to Florence (for example), wouldn't it be difficult to find a place to park it for the day?>>

Two answers: if the navigator and driver can work together to direct you to Santa Maria Novella train station, you can find good parking there (I did not figure this out, my first day trip to Florence). Plan B (which was not a bad choice for us) is that you will find parking in areas, more distant from the center (I can't tell you where we actually parked that first trip), and then bus service in Florence is easy, cheap and quick. You'll have little or no problem getting help to figure out a route that runs towards the center (they all pretty much run towards the center, as long as you get on, headed the right direction).

Siena may prove more difficult than Florence. Your landlord would be far better at advising you on Siena than I can.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:51 AM

I would definitely rent a car.
For your trip into Florence why don't you consider taking the train in from whatever town is near your villa? Parking will be simpler in a smaller town and the train station in Florence is right in the area in which you want to be.
Have a great trip!
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:12 AM

I do not know how to do it without a car--if you really want to see Tuscany.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:03 PM

As for Siena, there is plenty of pay parking lots just outside the city walls. A little further down the hill there is a spot where you can park for free and take the bus up into the city center as well. Just don't try to park in the city center.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:10 PM

If the availability of taxis is good, they'd give you more flexibility than public transport but still not as much as your own rental car and may also end up costing more.

If you're only planning on visiting larger cities, such as Florence, public transport may be your best choice. But if you want to visit smaller towns, and explore the Tuscan countryside, then I'd recommend renting a car. Also, even if you rent a car, it may be best to take public transport into Florence.

Have a wonderful time on your 1 year anniversary!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for the great suggestions. Rental car it is then!