Turkish Tour Guide Recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my husband and I were in Turkey several years ago our visit was complicated by my husband becoming seriously ill. The story had a good ending with him recovering and our eventual safe return home. During his illness we were helped immeasurably by the young man who at that time was the manager of Esbelli Evi, the hotel in Urgup where we were staying. At that time, he was studying to become a licensed tour guide.

We have stayed in contact with this wonderful man and he recently told us that he is now an official licensed guide. His name is Ramazan Kacar and while we did not use him as a tour guide I do not hesitate to recommend him if you are looking for a guide who will be honest, interesting, interested in what you want to see and learn and who will share his love of his beautiful country. Ramzan is based in the Cappadocia region but can advise on all areas of Turkey. His English is excellent and he has had years of experience in the tourist business both through his time at Esbelli Evi and other experiences. He has told us he would be pleased to consult and advise as well as offering direct guide experiences.

Ramazan can be contacted by mobile at 90 536 988 80 79 or by email at [email protected] or [email protected]. Believe me when I say that this is a unique and talented man and that I believe your visit to Turkey would be enriched by having him as your guide.

Maggie
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 05:40 AM

He is really a nice boy I agree however contracting a guide directly and taking a tour with, ( without an agency) is illegal in Turkey and Ramazan can get in trouble doing so.....
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi Proper travel,
Sorry that I wasn't clearer in my message. Ramazan is working through an agency. And like all licensed guides in Turkey he has completed the proper education and knows the law. I know he would not do anything to jeopardize his career or his guests enjoyment of beautiful Turkey.

Sorry that I didn't make this clear. And as you said he is a really nice man!
Maggie
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Excuse me!!! Contacting a tour guide in Turkey without a travel agency has never been illegal...According to the law a guide can get his customers by means of internet,museums,etc .and he/she does not need a travel agency at all as long as he does not make some hotel bookings,etc.but guiding is completely legal...And if you need licensed guides you may check this website out. www.istanbulprivateguide.net
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Excuse me,Proper Travel, the tour guide is not a boy,,but an adult.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:59 AM

Thanks for letting me know he is not a boy but an adult
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 02:03 AM

Calledman007; I owe you an update; according to Tursab ( Turkish association of Travel Agencies ) if the guides service also incvludes hiring a vehicle it becomes illegal. If someone hires a guide at a gate of museum or hires services for a tour while having own rental car or hires him or her fopr a walking tour it is not considered as illegal.

However from another point of view; when the client pays the guide and do not receive an official receipt it already becomes illegal

Happy travels with or without a guide....

Murat