Search

Turkey - Men's attire

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
ss
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey - Men's attire

Going to Turkey late September. Can / do men wear longer, nice khaki shorts, or just pants to tour Istanbul, Capadoccia? I read a thread where American women wore longer skirts or lose slacks. No longer length capris? Is it pretty warm mid to late September there?
Thanks for the tips on slip on sox and scarves.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:48 PM

I would wear slacks and open neck shirt on clear days.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
sjj

My wife and I were in Istanbul during the first two weeks in May. We didn't see any men wearing shorts. Neither of us can remember if we saw any women wearing Capris. The people we saw, both locals and tourists, were dressed conservatively, particularly in mosques.

As far as weather goes, go to this web site:

http://www.worldclimate.com/

As a last tip, if you're not in a tour bring good maps and a pocket compass. The old city streets are not in a grid, and it's hard to find street signs.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 09:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You can wear almost anything that you would in Manhattan NYC.
in the modern areas like Taksim, Istiklal, Nisantasi, Sisli and so on. In the touristy areas men can wear shorts and women also except for when going into mosques. Capris can be worn anywhere, although they do not seem to be fashionable these days. Both men and women can and probably should wear shorts on the longer Bosphoru tour, if it is a hot day.

Cappadocia is a touristy place. You do a lot of hiking and walking there. wear whatever you feel comfortable in, but definitely non-slip sneakers or walking shoes or boots (depending on the weather) and with socks against the loose dirt.

If you are going to the famous supper clubs, Sortie, Reina, etc. at Ortakoy-Kurucesme on the Bosphorus, wear smart casual.
If they are designer, jeans, t-shirts and shorts for women are fine.

Older men would wear an open collar shirt, rather than a t-shirt in the evenings, going to an upscale restaurant.
(note: we are residents and world travelers)
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry missed yor last question:

The temperatures are currently 16-29 Centigrade
So, it looks like mid September may get down to 14 at night and up to 27 in day time, in Istanbul.

Cappadocia may be slightly warmer in daytime and cooler at night.

It is a good idea to take a light windbreaker (hoody, against rain)and a sweatshirt with you.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:15 AM

Hi

September is quite warm and a great time to visit Turkey. During the day I wore very casual clothes - shorts, short sleeve shirt and walk sandals. In the evening it was smart casual.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 05:11 AM
ss
Original Poster

Thank you all for this information, we were just worried it would be too warm for slacks, both for my husband and myself. My husband lives in conservative shorts until it gets cold. We're not tee shirt fans - unless we're at home gardening, ata the beach or doing sports where I think those shirts should stay! Thanks for the info on Cappadoccia looks like we need to bundle up on the balloon rides.