is it ok to wear pants in istanbul

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Istanbul next week, and thought that since women are supposed to keep their limbs covered in islamic countries, pants would be the way to go. A woman who goes there often just told me that out of respect women should wear skirts.
any thoughts--what are women wearing there
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:59 PM
cmt

Pants are perfectly acceptable. The only clothing-related rule that you may find unusual is that you must take your shoes off when entering a mosque.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Agree with cmt. We were there several years ago. And your observation about Muslims preferring their women to be coveted is correct. I also have a vague memory of being somewhere about to enter a religious place in a crowd where the women who were wearing sleeveless tops were given scarfs to cover their bare shoulders. But, maybe that was Italy <smile..
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:40 AM

Pants are just fine. In Istanbul you will see women wearing full veiling and just as many in tiny tops and tight jeans. And young women who wear a headscarf that reveals only their eyes+nose+mouth, but at the same time below the scarf is a tight blouse and those hip-hugging, belly-bearing jeans. Middle-aged women wear similar clothes middle-aged women wear just about anywhere.

Entering a mosque you take your shoes off, cover your shoulders and legs, and also your hair. Usually there are scarfs that you can borrow if you donīt have your own.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:17 AM

Long skirts or trousers are fine.

You will need long sleeves, covered shoulders and hair to go in a mosque.(and no shoes).
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:28 AM

jtrandolph: "your observation about Muslims preferring their women to be coveted is correct . . ."

I have a feeling you meant "covered"! That's one of my favorite typos!!! Shows what one little letter can do!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:27 AM
sandi

You can certainly wear slacks. In IST you'll find women wearing everything from abbreviated Western garb, to being completely covered. And those in the latter category, especially the younger girls and women, are wearing abbreviated attire beneath... jeans, crop tops; plenty of face make-up. You should also check out what the lingerie and high fashion sold in shops. A stop at Vakko for one of their silk scarves is a must... some of the most beautiful silk you'll find anywhere and reasonably priced.

As in many countries, it's simply a matter of being aware of customs - here it's a scarf if in a mosque (though some don't require this of non-Muslims), removing shoes when entering a mosque, no bare arms or legs in a mosque.

Turkey isn't Saudi Arabia, but even here, women there are Westernly dressed below their black coverup.

Istanbul is fascinating, you'll enjoy your visit.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I am off to the airport with my slacks, long sleeves and scarves.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Certainly it's much preferred over women wearing nothing at all
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM

We carried a plastic bag in which to put our shoes while visiting mosques. We carried the bag with the shoes in the mosques and didn't have to return to the entrance shoe pile to look for our shoes.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 02:15 PM

It is fine to wear pants. Turkey manufactures very high fashion jeans (the most famous company is Mavi..you will find them in high-end stores in US and Europe as well) and you will see many women wearing them. In Istanbul, anything goes outside of mosques.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 02:22 PM

I was there in 2003, and was surprised to see school girls in classic shorter pleated skirts, and women wore everything under the sun -- from the head-to-toe coats to the European fashion that you'd see in Paris.

Wear whatever you like -- I took a scarf to put over my head when I went into the Blue Mosque and even that wasn't required, but I could tell it was appreciated.

The Turks are remarkably friendly (the friendlist of all the people I've EVER met, and that's saying something), and open to us Westerners. You'll find if you're open to talking with them, they'll ask a lot of questions as they are very curious about us, especially anywhere outside of Istanbul, where they at least see more tourists than other areas in Turkey.

Happy travels.

Jules
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM

I suppose it depends on whether you are a man or a woman.