Search

Turkey itinerary revised - Pls help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey itinerary revised - Pls help!

Hi there,

We have narrowed down itinerary below and need advice for last leg of the journey. I have included 1 travel day to each leg below.

Is it worth our while to go via Fethiye for day trip to Rhodes & Daylan given the drive from Kusadasi will take 4 hours to Fethiye? We will fly to Istanbul from Dalaman which will only be an hour ride back to airport from Fethiye.

Also, what accomodation do you recommend...Secluk or Kusadasi?

Is Cesme worth staying overnight or just a day trip?

Cappadocia - 3 days
Selcuk/Kusadasi/Cesme - 5 days
Fethiye/Rhodes - 3 days
Istanbul - 4 days

Thanks,

A-L
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:22 AM

Cesme is a toney beach area. There is a yacht basin and some expensive hotels. And I would spend at least 5 days in Istanbul, it is a fascianting city witha great deal to see, especially if you are a walker.

We stayed at the Nisanyan House in Sirince, nearby to Selcuk. It is on an impossible road, the meals expensive, and the accomodations were a bit disappointing considering what we read.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 02:32 AM

The program for your trip is great. According to me, it is better to stay in Kusadasi. It is wonderful resorts with high class hotels and the prices are really good, and you will have the pleasure to enjoy some fantastic beaches. I'm not sure that 5 days will be enough to visit all the attractions , which the amazing city of Istanbul can offer you, but you can try. If you need professional guide or accommodation you can check here http://istanbul.turkeyhotelstours.com/. Have a nice trip
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:38 AM

As a turkish myself, I would stay less in Capadocia and more in Fethiye or Kusadasi. This recommendation is biased in the view of having a *summer* holiday and getting lazy. If you are interested in cultural sights, then I would save that day for Istanbul. But you definitely should not repeat what all other tourists do. Yeah, see hagia sophia, blue mosque etc. but definitely save time for visiting beyoglu, istiklal caddesi, nisantasi, bebek, istinye, dolmabahce palace and adalar. Adalar is an island which is an hour away fro istanbul by ferry and you can buy your tickets in istanbul very cheap. you can have a special tour around the island with a special type phaeton and see turkish rums living there with beautiful houses and gardens.

Not many people could know about such places but as a homeland-er, I believe these places are worth to see!
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:42 AM

ah and definitely have dinner in Dogatepe Restaurant where I went there with my girlfriend for our first meeting. It is a restaurant overlooking Bosphorus and delicious Turkish cuisine, not just kebabs as known.

http://www.dogatepe.com.tr/english/
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

thank you for all the responses so far...

We have cut out Fethiye/Rhodes given the time & cost and based on your advice, now adding extra days to last two legs of the trip below.

Cappadocia - 3 days
Ephesus/Selcuk/Kusadasi/Cesme - 7 days
Istanbul - 5 days

Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It is really a toss up and depends on your interests.
August is going to be quite hot and humid in fethiye and probably at Rhodes also.

Although both locations are intersting, you may feel too lazy to move because of the heat. Also, the weather at cesme area is usually cooler because of the frequent breeze.

If you wish for a taste of a Greek island, Chios is less than an hour from Cesme.

I already recommended staying at kusadasi. I will expand on that. Stay on the beach to the North of Kusadasi town where it will be somewhat cooler. We like Kismet hotel which is on a promontary but you need to climb down to the sea and swim from a pier. I do not remember too many other hotels in the area although we stayed at Kusadasi 4-5 times in the past, but most will provide you beach time before and after daily forays to historic locations.

Kusadasi market days are Tuesday + one other day. Selcuk market is Saturday. There should be markets in Cesme and Alacati areas too.

Cesme-Ilica area, combined with the trip to Chios is worth an overnight if for nothing then for its beach clubs at Aya Yorgi area or at Ilica and the excellent restaurants at Alacati. However, this is bsically a resort and if you are more interested in major historic and natural sites, replace cesme with the Fethiye area.

We recently stayed at Ece Saray hotel at the Marina in Fethiye and liked it. Visiting Olu Deniz by car and Butterfly Valley by boat is fun and Tlos is a great antique city which is not far from Saklikent Canyon. There are also jeep safaris (where you use water pistols and get wet) some rafting and slope parachute (which i find too dangerous)

if you go there, eat at the fish market, by buying your fish and prawns (even morrel mushrooms if you're lucky) at the stalls in the middle and taking them to one of the restaurants for cooking. The restaurant will charge you 5TL per person for the fish including enough bread and salad for everyone and an additional 5TL per each type of extra item like mushrooms or prawns (total and not per person)