question about e ticket from tgv europe site

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My heart was beating furiously as I followed the directions on how to use the tgv site instead of rail europe for much cheaper tickets. then i prayed as my fussy printer sputtered out the 3 tickets to avignon....actually they are "e-ticket confirmation" tickets. Here's my question: Do I only need to show this e-ticket confirmation to the conductor or do i have to take it to a ticket office and have it turned into a ticket? I also understand that I don't have to composter the ticket either. They are PREM tickets by the way. Thanks to all whose advise gave me the courage to try this and more than that...save money!
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 06:08 PM

Somewhere you must have the option to print out the tickets themselves. If you are worried about your printer, save them first as PDF files before printing them. You'll recognize them as tickets because your name will appear as background on the ticket as if it were a repeated watermark.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 06:19 PM

You print out the tickets. Make copies and store the copies somewhere different from where you carry the ones you want to use...just in case. Make sure you have a photo ID with you and the cc you used to buy them online (though you won't need it unless there's a real issue). You do not need to composte your tickets. Just get on the train. Be prepared to show your ID to the conductor to make sure it matches the name on your tickets.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 09:11 PM

I bought 5 different tickets for our trip in May and June, all "print at home" tickets, and they were not all the same. Some were the e-ticket confirmations and others looked more like actual tickets with a watermark.

If it prints on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper, and can be foldeed in half width-wise, with the pertinent information (name, date, car number, seat number, etc.) then it's a ticket. As I recall, the e-ticket confirmations had QR codes on them (those funny square boxes).

You can print them out over and over again, so if in doubt, go back and follow the link in your confirmation e-mail again.

If they are "print at home" tickets, you do not need to compost them or do anything at the ticket counter. The conductors are very familiar with them.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 03:38 AM
ira

Hi G,

Bring your confirmation - it has a number on it, your passport and the CC you used to buy the ticket. The conductor will handle all of the paper work.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

thank you all. one less thing to worry about.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM

Congratulations on doing everything right. The trip is going to be fun! And it is nice to see a post from someone who has done his/her homework.
A few tips. Refreshments tend to be pricey; take your own. Since you are going to be travelling at high speed -- grande vitesse -- the trip will be short enough you can probably survive without a full meal. The luggage shelves over the seats won't hold big bags but there is space at the end of the cars. Look for your car number on the side of the train. If confused, ask somebody; in my experience travellers on SNCF tend to be helpful and often well-informed.
To prepare yourself for the big stations, take a look at the very helpful www.parisbytrain.com which gives photo tours of the major terminals.
Now get ready to enjoy a special travel experience.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:26 PM

gaelle:

<I>My heart was beating furiously as I followed the directions on how to use the tgv site... </i>

Is there a thread with directions on buying etickets from SNCF? I know how to maneuver through choosing the train. But I don't know how to do seating, final purchase, or printing ticket.

Can you give me the link to the thread you used? Thanks.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 02:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yesterday at the service desk in Avignon, a man showed the employee how his e-tickets came out blank when he printed them. (The advertising and stuff were there, but not the name, route or the flash code!) The employee just verified his name and birthdate and printed up new tickets for him.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:46 AM

what does it mean to compost the ticket?
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:59 AM

<i>what does it mean to compost the ticket?</i>

There are yellow or orange machines found near the entrances to the departure platforms. One places the corner of his ticket into the machine which prints a date of use on it making the ticket invalid for refund or other use. If you board a train without validating the ticket (composter in French) it theoretically could be both used and then submitted for a refund. On board inspectors will want to see that you properly validated your ticket.

iDTGV or PREM tickets are non refundable so validating them is not necessary.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:47 AM

You do NOT composte PREMs tickets that you already printed out on your own printer.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 06:33 AM

JeanneB:
Use www.tgv-europe.com and choose an English-speaking country other than the US. Same as SNCF but all the instructions are in English. Read each page carefully so as not to miss the button-clicks for such things as seat choice.
The site I recommended above, www.parisbytrain.com, includes illustrated step-by-step instructions for on-line purchases.