Turkey itinerary for Oct-Nov

Jun 28th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Turkey itinerary for Oct-Nov

We're thinking [2 couples] of going the end of Oct for approximately two weeks. We're planning an itinerary and would love some input. Here's what we figure so far: 5 nights in Istanbul [maybe Ritz-Carlton].
Fly to Kayseri and take bus to Goreme. Stay at Anatolian Houses for 2 nights.
Fly to Izmir, take bus to Selcuk or Sirince, stay for 2 nights.
Fly or drive to Bodrum, stay for 2 nights.
Should we get private guides [there are 4 of us]? Where do we need guides?
Any suggestions for adding to or changing this itinerary, and hotel suggestions would be much appreciated. Is this a good time of year to be visiting, weatherwise?
Jun 28th, 2007, 05:53 AM

This is rather late in the year and out of the tourist season. I don't know about Turkey but on the Greek islands, tourist shops and sites can shut in mid-late October. Weather can be cold and very wet then. I would say being the tour ahead a month or more.
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:10 AM

I see "Ritz Carlton" and I sort of tune out. There is probably nothing of interest I can impart to you as I would see spending all that money on a place to sleep as a complete waste of resources. Lots of really nice, cheaper, less anodyne places to stay.

I agree that end Oct is not the perfect time. My first visit to Turkey was in early Nov and it was bitterly cold in Istanbul. It snowed. I had no fixed itinerary - just bought a flight - but realised I did not have the gear to hit the high plateau.

If you do - then fine.

I flew Istanbul to Antalya. Bus to Izmir; day trip to Ephesus; and boat train back to Istanbul.

Does that appeal? No need for a guide.
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:32 AM

You might want to pull up the post, "THINGORGUS SLEEPS IN THE STRAW". I'm pretty sure that he stayed at The Ritz in Istanbul. It's a wonderful post with lots of excellent information.

We're going next week, and decided to stay in Sultanahmet since it's our first visit to Turkey, and we want to be closer to the main sights.
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:33 AM

How dare I?? I misspelled his name! It's "THINGORJUS SLEEPS IN THE STRAW." Sorry about that!
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Here's the exact post to pull up: Turkey In The Straw: Thingorjus Sleeps in Istanbul.
Jun 28th, 2007, 10:44 AM

At that price bracket I might recommend the Four Seasons for its location closest to the major sites in the old city...of course there are many other good places with far lower prices but since you mentioned the Ritz...... I was there in mid-October two years ago and the weather was excellent although we did have light rain one or two days... Light jacket was all that was needed at that time of year..

In Sirince I recommend Nisanyan House.
Jun 28th, 2007, 11:21 AM

The gap between Rits and season is bigger than you might thought ekscruchy!
Bouchet: If you are able to spend extra dollars on Ritz Carlton, please do not waste time on buses. (I see you are spending exttra dollars elswhere too
Coming to Kayseri, take a shuttle of the flight company at least or ask you hotel to give courtesy to arrange your transfer. Same story for Izmir. Take a private transfer to Selcuk or Sirince or to Kusadasi, can not be more than 80 Usd. ( 4 persons 1 hour drive, its worth it) You can not fly to Bodrum than, so you need to drive. Its fun and lots to see on the way historically or naturally. Or there are also tons of outlet stores passed Kusadasi....

Ephesus; get a private guide, avoiding the ones awaiting for you at the gate, pre arrange! Take my advice.

October is still lovely to travel as a traveller......

Happy travelling,
Murat
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:07 PM
BKD

I second staying at Nisanyan House in Sirince. It's only about a 15 minute drive up the mountain from Selcuk. Sirince is much more charming than Selcuk and the inn was wonderful. We stayed in the Platform Bed House. Nisanyan House has the best restaurant in Sirince, too. Also, Melissa at the inn picked us up at the Izmir airport. We paid a transfer fee but it was reasonable considering the drive.

Melissa also hooked us up with a wonderful guide for Ephesus. His name is Nail (pronounced Na-eel)who is an archeologist and knows Ephesus backwards and forwards. He made the place come alive for us. If you can get him, do so. You won't be disappointed.

In Cappadocia, Aysin at Murat's company set us up with a full day private guide and driver. Again, I can't imagine touring without a knowledgeable guide. Yunes, also an archeologist, was terrific. Aysin also got us rooms at the Marmara in Bodrum at rates better than I could find on my own. (This isn't an advertisement for Murat's company, just the facts. They were very, very nice to work with and did a great job for us.)

We rented a car and drove to Bodrum. It's a relatively easy drive ( I was not as scared as my wife and children) and lo and behold there was a Starbuck's about halfway there where it seemed like the middle of nowhere. I know it probably sounds replusive to some of the readers here, but for my two teenage American kids, it was nirvana. The staff there was just as happy to see us Americans.

We had a private guide in Istanbul for one day, which was a very good idea. Just too hard to get around to some of the outlying areas without one. He was very knowledgeable as well and took us to places that were not touristy at all. If you don't go north beyond Beyoglu say to Ortakoy or Levent or Nisantsi (sp!), I think you've missed the real Istanbul.

Hope this helps.

Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM

Chimani, that is the worst kind of reverse snobbism. Just because bouchet MIGHT stay at the Ritz Carlton, there is nothing of interest you can offer?

I was considering staying at the RC myself because I have POINTS aplenty and can stay FREE. Does that make me wasteful and unworthy of assistance??
Jul 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you 'HappyCheeseHead.' Everyone spends their money differently. We happen to like really nice hotels. I don't see why an appreciation for a country should be inversely related to how expensive your hotel might be. If we can stay in a nice hotel, well lucky for us. Enough of this. How do I find Turkey In The Straw: Thingorjus Sleeps in Istanbul? What airlines might go from Cappadocia to Izmir? We can't go until the end of October. Should we take really warm clothes? Thank you all for your input. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Jul 7th, 2007, 01:49 AM

No one can be sure about the weather in Turkey in that mounts. Because it changes every year. You should take your warm clothes and your summer clothes. The weather can change during your stay. So warm clothes can be needed. But I guess it will be still hot at the end of October.

Best Regards...
Jul 8th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Hi there bouchet, you can find the infamous turkey in the straw thread, along with many other threads that reference it, by typing the words -turkey in the straw - in the search box above this thread and clicking search. Do not pick a country, just leave it at the default. When I do that, the Turkey in the Straw, Thingorgus sleeps in Turkey, thread comes up at #4.

The only airline that I am aware of that flys Kayseri-Izmir is Sun Express, and it does so only on Thursday, Sunday and Monday the last I looked.

If you end up staying at the RC Istanbul, I would love to hear what you thought about it! It is 150k points for 5 nights, so not cheap points wise.
Jul 9th, 2007, 05:08 AM

Happy,
Nowt to do with reverse, inverse, or whatever you want to call it "snobbism".

Just being honest. Having made three trips to Turkey I wanted to say I had info to share. But it goes without saying that someone with the dosh (or the points - same thing really) to stay somewhere like the RC might not be interested.

But as you can never make assumptions I responded anyway. And, well, there you go - I get attacked by you, and the OP has shown no interest at all.

I rest my case. Those that stay in 5 star places just have no interest in the tips given by budget travellers. We have nothing to contribute.

I guess I should have learned that by now.

Jul 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Well Chimani, if you have nothing to impart but hotel info, and where one lays their head at night, then you are right. However, lurking in the shadows of your snobbism, I see shades of something interesting. What is the boat train all about? Does it make any sense for November? And what is an OP?
Sep 25th, 2007, 09:54 PM

I know that this response maybe coming a bit late but I have been away from posting. In Feb of this year whilst visiting Ehpesus we stay in Selcuk at the Akay Hotel.

http://www.hotelakay.com/

It is located steps away from the Isa Bey Mosque and The Basilica of Saint John. As we had not made reservations upon our arrival we looked at the hotels facilities and decided to stay in the newer section of the Hotel. My preferance.

The rooms where excellent and very clean with a small bathroom and shower stall. They had A/C, TV's and hair dryers. The most important the rooms were warm and cozy with hot showers. This way important as the night before we stayed at a hotel in Marmaris that the showers were terrible.

This is also one of the hotels recommended by Tom from the Turkey Travel Planner in his travel pages for Selcuk acommodations and that was one of the reasons we choose to stay there back in Feb.
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/g...els/index.html
Sep 26th, 2007, 08:21 AM

BKD,
Does Murat have a website???
Sep 26th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Bouchet,

From what I've heard from other travellers, Turkey's weather from mid-to late October is a gamble. Take clothing that can be layered and you'll do fine.
Speaking for myself, I was there last year for 12 days from Oct 15th - 27th and the weather was wonderful. Sunny and warm enough in Istanbul for tee-shirts and cotton trousers, hot enough in Selcuk/Ephesus and Sirince for tees and shorts and bathing in the Agean Sea, and shorts/trousers and light fleece vest (and windbreaker) for Cappadocia. Only 3 rainy days out of 12 and all were in Cappadocia. Didn't stop me from touring and exploring.

And I too heartily endorse the praises for Murat's company. He was excellent with the land and air bookings I had asked for and is a great guy to deal with.

M
Sep 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Do you happen to have his website? I'd love to look it over in prep for our trip.
Sep 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM

I'm not sure that he does have a website. But if you e-mail him directly via his address that shows up near his moniker (see 8th post from the top, above) he'll be in touch with you.