Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Austrian WWII concentration camp....anyone been?

Sep 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

May sound like an odd place to visit on holiday, but I've always wanted...have felt I 'had to' for some reason...visit & since we'll be in Austria, thought that perhaps Mauthausen would be one to see.

Has anyone been & can let me know if there is a bus/train that goes there from a smaller town?

Thank You..
Sep 24th, 2007, 12:31 PM
ira

Hi im,

Have you seen www.gusen.org and www.mauthausen-memorial.at ?

It's about 2:30 hr from Vienna to Mauthausen.

Sep 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you so much! I had read some about Mauthausen, but not Gusen.

This would be travel by train or?? Are there actual tours, so to speak, with guides, do you know?
Sep 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM
ira

Hi im,

By train. See www.bahn.de

Can't help with the camps.

Sep 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM

I'm sorry I can't help you with directions. We drove there several years ago. It's very heartbreaking a place to see. My wife's Uncle was a prisoner there and she was unable to visit for more than a short while.
Sep 25th, 2007, 06:35 AM

The closest town for Mauthausen is the town by the same name.
The camp is still several kilometers ( 3-5 )from the train station- best by taxi
No bus service that I know about.

I have visited by car.

Visit Mauthausen much more to see - Gusen only with a museum and limited things.

Much signage at Mauthausen also in english to provide good information- books also.

For trains

www.oebb.at

the austrian rail website - just enter the town where you depart and Mauthausen.
Closest larger towns- Linz and St. Valentin.
Sep 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM

While Mauthausen is pretty tough to get to without your own vehicle, it is so very worth it to try and get there. It is an immensely moving place (as I'm sure all camps are) and I will never forget how I felt, walking around and knowing the horrors that took place there. They give you an audioguide to listen to while you walk around and it is available in English. i don't think they have guides.
Sep 26th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Mauthausen is arguably the most poignant of all the death camps you could visit. It is far less frequented by tourists and the feeling you get when visiting there is one of 'aloness' and a more intimate closeness with what happened there. The camp is about 3 miles from the town but quite easy to get to by taxi. If you arrive by train the station is tiny and there may not be an attendant to phone a taxi for you. Directly across the street is a small Gasthaus (good for a lunch or dinner) and they will call a taxi for you. Get a card from the taxi driver so you can phone from the camp when you are ready to return to the village. If the information center is closed when you decide to leave the camp there is a phone stand at the entrance to the new parking area to the right as you face the camp.

Watch an excellent full length video produced by the Austrian Interior Ministry here http://www.mauthausen-memorial.at/db...dex.php?l_id=6

In the menu on the left pane select "Rückkehr unerwünscht" ("Return Undesireable"). Choose one of the 3 options under 'full version', 'broadband' works best. When the video begins you can right click and select 'zoom' to view full screen. The quality of the video and the content is superior. All of the videos are good and the 'Survivor Testimonials' in the home page pane are well worth watching, also.
Sep 26th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Per123...thanks so VERY much for the details, it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all who have offered their advice & knowledge on this subject as well....
Sep 26th, 2007, 11:51 AM

We visited Mauthausen March 2005, when it was unusually cold and snowy. Only one other person in our group wanted to go, so we hired a driver out of Vienna and took a little tour there and back. The cold and snow made for a very miserable day, totally appropriate for visiting the scene of so much misery. I don't think words can express my emotions as we stood in the room with the ovens, walls lined with photographs and memorials of the people who perished there. There were almost no other visitors, so the quiet and solitude allowed time to contemplate that terrible time in history.
We inquired at our hotel about a driver, and were very happy with his services. I believe there is a train, also, depending on where you will be based.