Turkey Itinerary

Search

Turkey Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey Itinerary

We are planning a trip to Turkey in the middle of October. We want 3 nights in Cappadocia, 3 nights in Kusadasi and 4 nights in Istanbul. We'll be flying to each of the locations. Our night flight, non-stop from Boston, on Turkish Airlines gets in at 4:25pm. We have the choice to take an 8:50pm flight to Cappadocia, getting to our hotel very late, or extending our 10 night trip by one night and staying in Istanbul the first night before flying on. Any recommendations?

Our tour company, Argeus, is recommending the Blue Hotel in Istanbul and Serrin House in Urgup, anyone know them?
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 03:14 PM

I'm confused....
"Our night flight, non-stop from Boston, on Turkish Airlines gets in at 4:25pm. "
If a night flight from Boston, how come you land in Istanbul in the afternoon?

Flying out to Cappadocia the same night might depend on what "we" means. Adults only? If so, you know your stamina and how jet lag affects you. Small children? I would stop in Istanbul and rest...

We did not stay at Blue Hotel, but we saw it and I think it's well located. Read reviews on TA for other details.

In Cappadocia we stayed in Goreme, and drove through Urgup. We were happy with our arrangements, Goreme is smaller and closer to sites, even though some regard it as more "tourist-y". Urgup is a real town, and bigger, so decide which one appeals more to you.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Our flight leaves Boston 11:45 pm and with the time change gets in at 4:25pm. No children traveling with us, but yes concerned about stamina.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Our flight leaves Boston 11:45 pm and with the time change gets in at 4:25pm. No children traveling with us, but yes concerned about stamina.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 03:45 PM
kja

Going on to Cappadocia the night you fly in has some advantages, including the time you'll save since you won't need to get from the airport into Istanbul and back. And you'll be tired either way, so why not?

But if you can extend your time, you might want to consider doing so. 4 nights is not very much for intriguing Istanbul.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 05:16 PM

I agree with kja - if it's only the 2 of you, push to Cappadocia the first night, sleep in the first day and extend the trip. 4 nights/3 days is the minimum for Istanbul, you will not regret it.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 05:20 PM
kja

"4 nights/3 days is the minimum for Istanbul" -- actually, I thought 6 full days the bare minimum for Istanbul! At least some of us can get there by direct flight, though, so returning is more viable than it would be for other parts of Turkey.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 05:26 PM

If you can extend by one night so you do not lose any time in Cappadocia, then stay the night in Istanbul.

We did what you are thinking of doing, direct flight from DC and on to Cappodocia. We actually landed earlier than you and got a 6:00 or 6:30 flight onward. We felt OK when we landed in Istanbul and were happy with our decision, but by time we got to Cappadocia, we were absolutely shot. Had we been going someplace like a beach simply to relax, it would have been OK, but we wanted to sight see. We enjoyed the area, but would have enjoyed it more if we had not started out too exhausted to think, and would not do it again.

I would grab a taxi (or the cheap shuttle, if you can arrange it) and go straight into Istanbul for a nice dinner and walk around the Blue Mosque area. I know it means two airport trips and another check into and put of hotel, but you will feel more alive to experience it. Just my opinion and experience.