Notices

10 day itinerary, weekends in Istanbul

Old Jul 24th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 day itinerary, weekends in Istanbul

We are planning our 10 day trip in September this year, arriving Istanbul on a Friday ( early evening) and flying out on a Monday, a week later. Looks like with the current itinerary we will be in Istanbul over the weekends mostly and I am bit worried about the crowds and delays in entry to some sites. Is there any other way we can plan this ? Any other suggestion related to the trip is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Day1, Friday: arrive Istanbul
Day2, Saturday: Istanbul
Day3,Sunday: Istanbul
Day4,Monday: Istanbul, PM flight to Izmir
Day5,Tuesday: Pammukale -Hieropolis
Day6,Wednesday: Ephesus
Day7,Thursday: AM Fly to Cappadocia
Day8,Friday: Cappadocia
Day9, Saturday: Cappodica, PM flight to IST
Day10, Sunday: Istanbul
Day11,Monday: Fly out
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 05:36 PM
kja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The alternative, I think, would be to push on from Istanbul to one of your other destinations immediately upon arrival in Istanbul, if that proves possible in terms of flight times. If it works, doing so would also cut down on one change in hotels. BUT that would only work if you won't need a car immediately upon your arrival anywhere, as it is extremely dangerous to try to drive before your body has at least a day to adjust to the change in time zones.

I'm sure you realize that your plan gives you very little time in either Cappadocia or Istanbul....
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 07:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like a great plan! However, I think is kind of packed, especially the one day in Pammukale and Ephesus.
The time you have in Istanbul should be enough to visit most popular sites.

How are you getting to Pammukale from Izmir? Ephesus and Kushadasi are close by but Pammukale isn't.
One full day is enough for Pammukale, but you should include travel hours too.
Ephesus as well, there are so many things to see and you will definitely spend most of the day there, but luckily it's closer to Izmir so you will have less travel hours.

3 days for Cappadocia may be challenging, but the best would be to book the Green tour or the Red tour so you will get to see most. They take most of your day, but it's worth it when you don't have the time. If you want to do the hot air balloon ride, you need to be very lucky to get a tour for the two days there, since they can not always fly (depending on weather conditions).

Anyhow, if that is the only time you can allow yourself than you should enjoy yourself, no matter how tight the schedule is!

I wish I can do that tour all over again
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 06:26 PM
kja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe one needs to take a tour to explore either the red or the green route. Of course you can, if that's your preference!
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks kja and katepcoss for your suggestions

Wish we had two weeks for this trip, but wont happen this time.
I made a small change: I am looking into flying out on day 5 morning to Izmir and directly go to Ephesus from airport. Then have day 6 for a day trip to Pamukkale.
We will go around Istanbul on our own. On touring the other sites, we would like to do it at our own pace, some we may skip -some we may want to linger a bit more. So wondering what is the best way.- may be a guide and a car with a driver (we dont want to drive). Looks like for Cappdocia either we have to join a tour group or take a private tour. Are hotels the best options for these arrangements?
Thanks again for your kind suggestions.