Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Istanbul Eats Walks, which one to take??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading many a post on this forum, and trip advisor reviews I am excited to take one of the Istanbul eats walking tours. The problem is they all sound Great!!!! Has anyone taken these and which ones did you like?? Thanks for your help as always. Kim
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM

I am interested in this, also. We arrive on a Friday late afternoon/evening and I thought to perhaps take the Kebab Krawl the following night for an early introduction to Istanbul -- give me some basis for reference for the following two weeks.

But I don't know if that's a good plan or not.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

We arrive early Sat am the 27th of October, I was thinking the same thing might be a fun way to kick off time in Istanbul. Wasn't sure if it was better to do the night or daytime walk. I only have 6 days
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 09:42 PM

I am going to piggy back on this thread. This is on my to-do list for mid-sept turkey trip. I havent found anyone who has taken a culinary tour with Istanbul Eats, and like kmh7 mentioned they all sound interseting.
I even emailed them to get the differences and which one is (more)appropriate with a 15 month baby, but the reply contained the standard text available on their website.
Kebab Krawl would be great if you a true blue meat (esp. lamb) lover, and I think 'Culinary Secrets of the Old City" gives a wider choice including the baklava and other pastries from one of the best shops in istanbul.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Istanbul eats update, I have just booked the two continent tour with Istanbul eats. They do not tour on Sunday and are not touring on the 29th because of holiday. So we are going on the 30th. This tour isn't listed on their website but Ansel recommends it highly. It crisscrosses the bosphorus for eating in both European and Asian side. Sounds like fun, I will post review after we have recovered from the gluttony!!
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the update kmh7.
they still havent responded to my request for a tour on 16th. But I will send them another mail for booking for 17th considering they dont tour on sundays.
also, we were considering going to the asian side on our own to eat at Ciya Sifrasi (highly recommended restaurant). perhaps doing the Two Continents tour would be more comprehensive than the Culinary Secrets.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:43 AM

We're also taking the Two Continents tour. I think it's less popular, because we gave them a span of days and the Secrets tour was all booked up.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 05:02 PM

How long did it take to get a response from Istanbul Eats? I emailed a request two days ago and haven't yet gotten a response. But maybe this is normal for them? (Guess I like instant gratification ;-))
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Purdue, looking back at the email string, they got back to me within 24 hours.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Purdue,I heard from them in 24 hours as well. Then I had a question and heard within 12 hours. You may want to try again. Because we are there over holiday they couldn't get us in until the 30th of October but still looking forward to it.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 08:42 AM

shwets,
Having done the Istanbul Eats Old Town tour, I can tell you that I personally would rule out bringing along a 15-month-old child on that one. It was very hard navigating both the crowd and though pavements in areas, and the general progression of the tour is generally uphill over the three to four hours. In addition, many of the places that one eats in require more or less squeezing past people and objects. So strollers and kid backframes would not work well. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:01 AM

I heard back from Ansel the morning after I asked the question above and have had regular correspondence since. We arrive on a Friday night, my thought was to take the Kebab Krawl the next night (Saturday), which would give us a day to recover our bearings and be an early introduction to Turkey. However, they don't do a KK on that Saturday night, and Ansel instead recommended the "Culinary Secrets of the Old City" which starts that Saturday at 9:30 AM and continues into the afternoon.

The owner of the apartment we're renting highly recommends IE, and this tour, so we've decided to do that -- might as well jump right in! We'll have been in Turkey for a whole 16 hours by then... Ansel tells me that we could probably wait until we're there to decide if we want to do a second one (the two continents one appeals -- but once we're there we can probably figure out much of this on our own) as there is still plenty of availability for October. I would assume that this holds for first-timers, too, unless they have a soft spot for repeat customers.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Purdue, I too thought about doing the same tour on that Saturday. Our problem is we are arriving in Istanbul via a sailing cruise early that morning and couldn't figure out what to do with our stuff and had some concern we would have a hard time getting there by 9:30. I would certainly rather "jump in" the way you are. Have a great tour. Kim
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Thanks, Kim. We've found that going for the gusto (as it were) gets us integrated into wherever we're visiting prety quickly, and besides, what's a little jet lag when baklava is waiting? ;-)

Hope you have a great trip, too! I see that MinnBeef is just back and I'm anxious to hear about his adventures.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Purdue, I think we are there at the same time maybe we will run into each other in the streets. You have a good trip too We are staying at the Hotel Anemon Galata, All the books say it has the best terrace in the city. I am sure we will be there most nights over a glass of wine, join us if you are so inclined. Kim
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for butting inbut just discovered a tiny baklava shop at Sirkeci, somewhat across from the entrance of Hocapasa street where we had stopped at Sehzade Cag Kebap for lunch, called Baklava Diyari, where they have their baklava flown in from Gaziantep daily.

We bought only about half kilo of the special square and the shredded wheat types and I managed to devour a goodly proportion despite my diabetes. Although it was not as good as that of Imam Cagdas at Gaziantep it seemed to be possibly better than Gulluoglu at Karakoy which I always thought was the best in Istanbul.

Just a note while watching the setting sun reflect on the window panes of Scutari from our balcony this lovely evening and listening to "Summertime Time Blues" by Eddie Cochran from my wife's collection of my nostalgic music pieces.

Will soon change my profile photo from starter fusion plate to a table set-up and then in a few days to a "view from balcony"

I am almost as excited about my trip to NYC and drive through foliage season to Niagara and thence to Chicago through Detroit as you are about your visit to this neck of woods.
Just changed most of our hotel reservations because of better deals through AARP and new special at Hertz. Must still get theatre tickets for Broadway, arrange to get a free meal from Aduchamp. have already bought two carpets, lots of spices and olive oil soaps as presents.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Kim, we arrive in Istanbul on October 19, and then have four nights in Sultanahmet, after which we go to Cappadocia for four nights. We then return to Istanbul on October 27 for five nights in Beyoglu, in an apartment on Turnacibasi. Google maps shows that to be about 1.3 km from your hotel, so we will definitely be in the same neighborhood!

OC, you have a wonderful trip, too. What Broadway show are you planning to see?
Becky
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM

can you give me the web page for the Istanbul Eats? sounds very interesting.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 05:27 PM

sumplanner, its http://istanbuleats.com/. They also sell a little handbook of "best" out-of-the-way restaurants that has nice photos and descriptions.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

OC, Enjoy your trip. Thank you for all you wonderful information it will certainly enrich our time in Istanbul. My DH will be excited to hear about baklava tip I have a feeling this won't be our last trip to Turkey.

Purdue, We arrive on the 27th as well for 6 days/5 nights. Would love to share a glass of wine with fellow fodorite if you are so inclined. Safe travels to all..Kim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -