Search

Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey

Hello, is it safe at this point in time (over christmas for about 3 weeks) to travel to Turkey bearing in mind the troubles in the Middle East, I fancy the archaeolocial sites around Gobekli Tepi and surrounds and then back to Istanbul flying out from there (apparently it's mid winter in Istanbul so could be cold and wet (even snow!)

I would appreciate your advice,
Thanks
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

A bit more information - we won't have a car but dislike tours, so public transport is the way we shall travel, any tips?
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
travel by public transport in that area is easy enough.

what nationality are you?
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 09:23 AM

Turkey is not directly involved in the wars in Ukraina, Armenia (both neighbour countries) and Palestine
But the Turkish president is extensively commenting these wars and tells his population over all TV channels who are the good and the bad guys.
For the moment, the Turkish army is "only" occupying illegally parts of Cypurs and of Syria.
I suppose you plan to fly via Istanbul to Sanliurfa or via London, Frankfurt or Munich to Gaziantep.
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 06:54 PM

Winter I believe is a decent time to go to the southwest. It might be a bit cold though in certain areas. Places like Nemrut might be unreachable though. I took buses between places, and a car with a driver around Urfa( my GH owner) which worked well for me.
This region has always had issues, but I haven't heard anything too drastic recently, so might be worth checking out.
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 02:43 AM

ı live around there...şanlıurfa is the warmest region of turkey...so snow and winter conditions will not affect you...you can visit göbeklitepe and other historical sites....if you are very interested in archaeology, I can recommend you a person who lives in that region...he has very good articles and research...he is also a kokartlı guide and has been introducing the region to foreign guests for years...he is also a person of the region and has very good archaeological writings...
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by apricot44
ı live around there...şanlıurfa is the warmest region of turkey...so snow and winter conditions will not affect you...you can visit göbeklitepe and other historical sites....if you are very interested in archaeology, I can recommend you a person who lives in that region...he has very good articles and research...he is also a kokartlı guide and has been introducing the region to foreign guests for years...he is also a person of the region and has very good archaeological writings...
Excited about the warm weather in Şanlıurfa and can't wait to explore Göbeklitepe and other historical sites. Your friend sounds like a great contact for my archaeological interests. I'd love that recommendation whenever you're ready to share!
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 04:51 AM

check ur private message box...ı alreday sent links that u can contact with him..
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 10:58 PM

If you type the following phrase into the google search engine...you can reach him...'erhan yildirim guide'