Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are your fondest memories, favorite places you visited, purchases you made in Turkey, experiences you'll always remember about a trip to Turkey?

Search

What are your fondest memories, favorite places you visited, purchases you made in Turkey, experiences you'll always remember about a trip to Turkey?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Jean

I would love to hear from any of you who have traveled to Turkey about any of the things I mentioned. We are planning a trip there approximately mid-April for 2 weeks, and are trying to map out our itinerary and our priorities.<BR><BR>Thanks so very much!,<BR>Jean

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Sarah

sleeping in cots on roof tops under a full moon in Cappadocio, swimming in the Roman ruin pool in the hotel in Pamukale (sp), Fetia just hanging out.<BR><BR>favorite thing to buy, pottery.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Sarah

oh yes exploring turkish food at the many buffets in Islanbul. Shopping was also at the souk in Istanbul.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Paule

Dear Jean,<BR>In addition to my earlier comments about Cappadocia, I think the best thing we did was hire a private guide for two days while there. We were able to stop and talk to local people because of him. We saw 2 women and a young boy baking something in an outside kiln-like oven and stopped and spent time with them. We were able to take wonderful photos because our Turkish guide engaged them in conversation and so, they were comfortable with us. <BR>Overall, having him take us around gave us a more intimate experience than we would ordinarily have, even driving on our own.<BR><BR>Miy feeling about Turkey is in the smaller, intimate experiences of interacting with people; at the same time, history just smacks you in the face with the amazing sights (ancient ruins, medieval buildings and structures, contrasts of the east and western cultures that exist there). <BR><BR>In 2 weeks, you can really see a lot betweem Istanbul, Cappadocia and the coastal region. <BR><BR>

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 09:04 AM
jenviolin

The two days we spent in Assos. We stayed at the Yildiz Saray hotel on Kadgira beach (sp?) and there was no one else in the hotel (pre-season) and we were completely spoiled. The ocean water was cold but swimmable (we are diehards) and the wildflowers were just coming out at the end of April. We hiked from the hotel to the town of Assos - there was sometimes a path, sometimes a goat trail - along the incredibly blue sea and had lunch in the harbor of Assos, then hiked up to the ruins where Pliny and Aristotle once lived. We were rewarded by a perfect view to Lesbos and completely deserted ruins. It was breathtaking! We hiked back down the other way and took the inland road back to the beach hotel, where there was a boat waiting to take us out fishing. The motor conked out about 500m from shore and we spent a hilarious hour yelling and waving sweatshirts to attract help. We were finally towed in and seated in front of the fire in the hotel with a bottle of wine. There's nothing like 'off the beaten track' Turkey for some adventures!

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Sarah

I was in Turkey for one month. I traveled around the coutry using public transportation. I was two weeks with a female friend and two weeks alone. This country is absoblutely accomodating to tourist. Enjoy don't feel like you have to take a tour. A little reading you can explore on your own.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Danielle

My cousin and his wife honeymooned in Greece and Turkey two years ago. I have to say the most beautiful thing they brought back were hand-woven tapestries. Although they were expensive, the value in America is at least three times what they paid. And they are exquisite. My cousins have them hanging on the walls in their home.