Trying to plan a 3 week honeymoon to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m trying to plan a 3 week honeymoon itinerary to Italy. My soon to be wife and I are both 30 and would welcome any suggestions. We are both very active and love doing activities outside. We are leaving March 11th and have 3 weeks. We want to visit Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Venice, Pompei, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, Capri and Positano and want to stay in mid-priced hotels.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 02:47 PM

Nice weather in le Cinque Terre really doesn't kick in until early May. You will even be early for guaranteed-good-views along the Amalfi coast (which includes Positano) and in Capri, but at least you have a better chance.

Does your love of outdoor activities include castle and hill town climbing and some hiking in the steps of St Francis of Assisi? Spending a week in Umbria might work for you, or in the wine country of Tuscany. Lots of flowers.

Bed and breakfasts are often more charming than mid-priced hotels in Italy. If you were to do a week in Rome, a week in Umbria/Tuscany and a week on the Amalfi coast, you could get a very good deal on apartments in each place, and spend the spare change on a car rental where it makes sense to have one (in central Italy and for a few days on the Amalfi coast so you can see Pompei and I hope you will add a day trip to Paestum).
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 04:59 PM

It's awfully early in the year for several of the places you want to go. March can be pleasant or can be chilly and rainy - and it's not the time for a beach resort - many paces will be closed for the season.

As for hotels - please give a specific amount per night. I know what I mean by moderate (about 250 to 300 euros per night) - but not what you mean.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

do you think we should postpone our honeymoon and go later in the year? We aren't interested in going to the beach resorts, but if the places we want to travel are closed for the season that could pose a problem. As far as the hotels go, we are interested in staying in quant bed and breakfasts when possible and the ideal price would be up to 250 euros.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

yeah, we know March isn't great, but ideally wanted to go on our honeymoon after our wedding. We are interested in staying in bed and breakfast along the way if you have any suggestions. Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 08:56 PM

Regarding whether March is good weather-wise, we've gone to Italy for the past 5 years in March. We start in Rome, and then work our way up through Umbria and Tuscany to follow the beginning of Spring. We love this time of year, and find that we often "have the place to ourselves" (both towns and lodgings). Also no lines in often-crowded places.

So it really depends on what you like. I do not like the heat, and love cool weather for lots of brisk walking and hiking.

Regarding the places you want to stay, I think (and I'm sure others will pile on here soon) you are doing WAY too many places for 3 weeks. It's not that there are so many really, it's that they are spread out too far to make this a relaxing trip. For a 3 week trip, I'd recommend no more than:

Rome
Umbrian base with hill towns day trips
Tuscan base with hill towns day trips
Florence
Verona (not on your list, but a personal favorite).
Venice

In general, I guess my recommendation is to either pick Rome and then north, or Rome and then south.

Also, when not staying in a city, I recommend staying in an agriturismo. There are so many charming and great ones. We actually plan our trip each year around staying in our favorite one outside of Florence. Staying in the countryside allows you to do some hiking as well.

When you narrow down your itinerary, please let us know so we can give specific recommendations. Knowing whether you're renting a car or not would help as well.

Congratulations in advance!

LisaG
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like March would be a great time of year to go. We enjoy the cities, site seeing, but also like the outdoors and hiking. We were hoping to get to Cinque Terra because we have heard such great things about it. We were also planning on flying from Venice to Naples when we start our amalfi coast trip to save time on traveling from the northern part to southern part. I agree its a bit much, but we want to see as much as possible.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 12:55 AM

If the possibility of getting to the Amalfi coast and Capri and not being able to see views won't ruin your whole time, then take a chance on March in the coast. But if you think you will be very disappointed if you get mist and fog or rain and you can't really enjoy the scenery -- or sitting outdoors for meals -- then go after the second half of April.