Search

Trying to Logically Split Our Travel Days

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to Logically Split Our Travel Days

Hello,

The Mr. and I have 17 days (including travel days) so actually 15 days 'on the ground' to explore.

I probably went about things all wrong when I initially booked our trip, so to those of you who are more seasoned European travelers, I'm sure you will think my itinerary is all over the place. #TrueThat

We booked our trip on AA miles and tried our best to avoid flying on anything but AA metal, which isn't easy. Most options wanted to route us through LHR which meant a *free* ticket became a 200 plus dollar ticket. That's how we ended up with tickets flying into Zurich. While Switzerland wasn't initially on our rader, it seems a shame to be there and not see any of it. I've allocated 2 nights in Lucerne.

Somewhere in my planning someone mentioned the Black Forest to me. After doing some research, we'd like to see it. So I'm scheduling 3 nights in Gengenbach. We plan to use Gengenbach as a base to explore Gutach, Triberg, Alpirsbachu, Wolfach, and Schitach before heading to Strasbourg.

I have four nights planned in Strasbourg. In addition to seeing the highlights of Strasbourg, we will take a Pearls of Alsace tour that will take us to Colmar, Equisheim, Riquewihr, and Haut Koesnigsbourg Castle. On our own we will rent a car for a day and visit Le Struthof, Obernai, and Mont St. Odile.

After that the plan is to head to Amsterdam (our original target city) and spend seven nights. While there is a lot to see in Amsterdam, I'm wondering if maybe I'm a little lopsided in our allocation of days. Plus, I have a strong desire to see Paris. We were there in 2014 and I'd really like to revisit her. I am half-way toying with the idea of adding two days to Strasbourg and taking an overnight trip to Paris. My thoughts were to leave the majority of our luggage in Strasbourg and just double book us into a budget hotel in Paris. We did that when we took an overnight trip to Bayeux from Paris. The convenience was well worth the extra Euros. Another option would be to just skip Lucerne and use the days for Paris, but then we wouldn't get to see Switzerland. #Sigh

I don't want to be one of those CRAZY people who try to pack too much into too little time, but trips to Europe are expensive (even with *free* airfare) so I want to get the most out of our trip.

Our flight home will be with BA from AMS through LHR. I couldn't find a way to avoid it.

I would love to hear some of your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

I intended to tag Germany & France too. What did I do wrong? Can anyone tell me how to add these tags?

Thanks!
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 06:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Drop a note to the editor by clicking on the triangle

I think you are missing out on the benefits of Strasbourg and Alsace region, you do not mention a serious wine tasting, or a visit to the concentration camp, the Ballon d'alsace etc. Have a look at
http://www.tourisme-alsace.com/en and keep digging

Amsterdam, I'd look at public transport and other areas besides the city. for instance http://krollermuller.nl is one fantastic place to visit, while if you look at the google map of Holland and type in "museum" you will be amazed and what pops up, let alone the pleasures of a pub.

I'm not that excited by the Black Forest but hey you'll love it.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take the train from Strasbourg to Nancy for at least an overnight (but I am a big fan of Art Nouveau) and then the train to Paris. I have no idea why you would leave your luggage in Strasbourg, as you can take a train on to Amsterdam from Paris. (See seat61.com for train info) I would take days from Amsterdam for Paris.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 07:07 AM

Are you using trains? On the segment where you are starting from Strasbourg then ending up in Amsterdam, Paris as a day trip is counter productive. It is simpler to get to Amsterdam from Paris than from Strasbourg. When you expended time and resources to get to Paris, why return to Strasbourg?

Bayeux as a trip from Paris would be different. I don't think starting from Bayeux added any leverage to the subsequent leg over starting from Paris?

Allocation of days based on mechanical "so many places so many days" rule might not satisfy your need. Many people use this method, however.

You can also approach the planning from network optimization. You don't start from pieces but ask what you get out as a whole within constraints: usually time and finance. You don't start from fixed "so many days at this city" buckets, but rather allocating different number of days along the way and ask your self, "what can I do with this allocation that satisfy my, not someone else's, interests?" Then compare against other allocations.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to "see" Switzerland you would do better to head for the mountains. I would definitely spend time in the Lauterbrunnen area in preference to the Black Forest, although it would be more expensive.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 07:58 AM

Given your interests I find 7 nights in Amsterdam a bit too many. You may cut one or two nights in order to get your time for Paris.

A trip from Strasbourg to Paris sounds reasonable - the train ride takes just 2:19. You can even do it as a daytrip. Otherwiese, you can leave your luggage in your hotel in Strasbourg.

You should not miss Luzern - it is a picturesque town, offers scenic boat trips on the lake and a quick'n'easy high mountain experience on Mount Pilatus. The train from Zürich airport to Luzern takes just 1:02, so I would directly ride from Zürich zu Luzern. There you can leave your luggage in the hotel and relax on a boat ride until your room is ready. In the next morning you may ride up Mount Pilatus and in the early afternoon you can take the train to Gengenbach (3:16), so one night in Luzern will be enough.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 08:41 AM

I don't know why 7 days in Amsterdam, that seems really lopsided, as you put it. I would not want to spend a week there, although I'm sure some people do, but you don't have the time. It's a little out of the way, but you could go from Strasbourg to Paris and spend a couple days in Paris, then take the train from Paris to Amsterdam, instead of just doing one night while double-paying a Strasbourg hotel. That's what I'd do, probably. There are trains direct from Paris to Amsterdam (no changes), that take only 3:20 hours, after all. That isn't that long. You could easily spend 2-3 days in Paris instead of a week in Amsterdam IMO
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I hear you all and appreciate your advice/suggestions.

Bilboburgler, the wine tasting is tied into our tour with Orphous' "Pearls of Alsace" tour. It's a 9 hour tour so it covers a lot of what we hoped to see and do. We will visit Le Struthof, Obernai, Mont Sainte Odile Convent, and any thing else I can squeeze in on another day when we rent a car.

Traveller1959,my current plans for Lucerne include a trip to Mt. Rigi via boat to Vitznau, the Red Cogwheel Train, Cable Car to Weggis and the boat back to Lucerne. The other 1/2 day (arrival day) would be spent just wandering the city. I really didn't want to eliminate that, so yes. Lucerne stays in the itinerary. :0)

I like the idea of going from Strasbourg to Paris and Paris to Amsterdam with a couple of days in between. I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the long train ride from Strasbourg to Amsterdam anyway. It just seemed like such a waste of time.

Thank you for helping me sort things out. I'm going to rework my itinerary.

I most likely will be back at some point to 'pick your brains' again. ;0)

Thanks!
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 09:29 AM

If you are interested in Amsterdam's rich museums, plus want some time to understand the city itself beyond the museums, 7 days is perfectly understandable, especially if don't like to rush through museums, or pack in several a day.

If museums are not your interest in going to Amsterdam, then figure out how much time it will take you to enjoy what attracts you to Amsterdam, and allocate the time left over to other destinations.

I never visit wineries or concentration camps in my travels, so I personally wouldn't be allocating days somewhere to do that.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insight Sandra.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 01:31 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ite-things.cfm

Just love Amsterdam my favorite city - this is a thread started several years ago and updated but many things remain timeless - that said 7 days is too long for the average traveler though there are some neat day trips to be done - maybe cut off 3 days and put them into Amsterdam, only 3.5 hours by Thalys train away.

And be sure to but the National Museum Card for Amsterdam and Holland in general - a few major museums makes it pay off and you can then go in dozens that you would not normally pay to enter and end up delighted - like some I mention in my thread - which has valuable inputs from others, especially local Amsterdammers.

http://www.amsterdamtourist.info/tip...s/museumkaart/

Note some of the dozens of 'museums' covered are not your traditional museums but the Botanical Garden - the Dutch Resistance Museum- the Lord in the Attic Church - the Ship Museum, Rembrandt's House, etc.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 02:02 PM

Teacher91, why do you want to go to Mount Rigi and Weggis?

Rigi is not the highest mountain of Luzern. The highest mountain is Pilatus (2,128 meters) with Alpine feel and a fantastic view over the whole mountain chain of the Alps and it is easily accessible either from Luzern or from the lake. If your time in Luzern is limited skip the Rigi and go for the Pilatus. It is much more rewarding.

BTW, if you are in Gengenbach do not miss the Vogtsbauernhof Open-Air-Museum. It is the main attraction in the area.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link PalenQ. Is the National Museum Card similar to the Museumkaat? I plan to purchase that card. The Dutch Resistance Museum, Our Lord in the Attic, and Rembrandt's House are on my lists among a few others.

Traveller1959, I chose Mount Rigi based on advice I received on the TA Lucerne board. Now I am just confused! #Haha

The Vogtsbauerhof Open-Air-Museum is definitely on our list and something we look forward to seeing. :0)

Thanks for sharing your insight and experiences.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 03:18 AM

Haven't read it all but I would cut the time in Zurich and Lucerne and add it to Paris. You'll save money not "doing" Switzerland. I agree if you are going to see anything in Switzerland, go directly to the mountains for a day or so.
Too long in Amsterdam also. I'd suggest 3-4, depending on what you want to do.
Put 3-4 days down for Paris and work backward from those numbers for other places.
You have a goodly amount of time over all--pare down to compact areas and then move on.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gretchen!

I'm working on figuring out what our *must dos* in each city are and making an itinerary to fit all the various scenarios.

We visited Paris for a week in 2014, so we have seen some of our *must dos* there, but definitely left some 'unfinished business' in Paris. While many travelers are shying away from Paris, the recent events just makes me want to visit her more. In one plan we will have three nights in Paris and only one in Lucerne. The other keeps 2 nights in Lucerne and gives us 2 nights in Paris. In all cases I have pared down the time in Amsterdam. Even doing so, I still was able to leave our last day in Amsterdam *open* which gives us some flexibility. I won't get to do EVERYTHING that intriqued me about each city, but I will definitely get to cover my *must dos*... or at least I think I will. The rest can go on an 'unfinished business list' for a future (hopefully) visit.

Thanks for chiming in with your insight. It was greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 04:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"While many travelers are shying away from Paris"

slight blip in November (for good reason) but gone now.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 08:16 AM

I love the mountains of Switzerland but find the cities sort of "sterile"--of course, not uninteresting, but just not where I'd spend the time.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

I'm glad to hear it Bilboburgler!

I guess the pics I've seen of Lucerne are the *best* of it?
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are only going to spend a couple of days in Switzerland I would head straight to the Berner Oberland, passing Luzern. I like the city and the lake but for spoectacular scenery it cannot hold a candle IMO to the BO.

Seven nights in A-dam? yeah, I like it too but...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -