Reload this Page >

Trip to Madrid area

Search

Trip to Madrid area

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:23 AM
geoff

Trip to Madrid area

My wife and I are going in March to visit our daughter who is doing a semester abroad at U of Salamanca.<BR>We have never been to Spain and am hoping to spend a few days in Salamanca and 7 days 'touring' either by train or driving.<BR>We are looking for someone who has ideas or has had a similar experience with visiting Salamanca and surrounding areas north or south<BR>Thank you!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Rex

In addition to this forum, make sure you visit www.madridman.com and ask your question there (not just for Madrid!)<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:18 AM
topping

to the top, for Geoff<BR>

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Graziella

I would drive. There are several options because there is a LOT to see.<BR>One option would be going South <BR>Salamanca,Caceres, Merida,Sevilla,<BR>Cordoba, Madrid.<BR>Of course fantastic places are being left out, such us Granada. But it is not possible to include everything.<BR>

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Maira

Geoff--- try to do a search for Maribel's past postings on Salamanca. She is one extraordinary contributor on Spain travels whose advice can turn your trip from good to amazing. <BR><BR>From personal experience, Salamanca is a wonderful, wonderful city. Very walkable, it has probably one of the most beautiful Plazas in Spain. For hotel I strongly recommend NH Palacio de Castellanos, walking distance to all mayor sights including the university. The price is very reasonable, we paid $100/double, no breakfast included, but you are so close to many restaurants (even a Pizza Hut within walking distance). They have parking, and I mention this because you may want to drive at leisure to nearby cities such as Segovia, Ciudad Rodrigo, Avila, and why not?, even visit Portugal for the day. Train/bus travel is a good option as well. I also strongly advise you make reservations for the Palacio (or any other good hotel like Hotel Rector) way in advance. Salamanca is one very busy city and hotels vacancies are rare. <BR><BR>I am so jealous, you are going to one of my favorite places on earth!! Have fun planning!!

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:36 AM
maira

Maira,<BR> Thank you for your assistance and post.<BR>Thank you Rex and Graziella also!<BR>Geoff

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Rex

You're very welcome, Maira<BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Graziella

Hi Geoff, you are welcome, speaking for myself you can do something for me,<BR><BR>when sitting at la Plaza Mayor in Salamanca, please think of us....