Trip Timing Advice, Please & MaxJet

Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Trip Timing Advice, Please & MaxJet

I also posted this on the Germany board; trying to decide where to go on our August/Sept. trip. Would love some advice about timing please.

What about Scotland & England during that time. Would it be best to save these areas for a better time weather & crowd-wize?

We thought of circling thru areas of London, Bath, York, Edinburgh, Inverness, Broadford, Glasgow. Of course, haven't looked at Ireland yet - how is southern/central Ireland during that time?

With all of the horrible things happening in the world, it is wonderful to have such a problem as deciding where to travel!

Has anyone tried MaxJet? Any info to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks, Julie
Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM

That's about the best time in the UK weather wise in England although there might be problems with midges in parts of Scotland.

September isn't that crowded as the kids have gone back to school.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Ok, nona1, I bite - what is a midge? a little gremlin?

Thanks for the info. Sounds great that this is a good time for weather.

Julie
Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:00 AM

I'm going to be in England & Edinburgh in September so I guess I'll have to bite as well about the "midges".
Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:56 AM

I haven't personally tried MaxJet, but it's one of the most intriguing deals in the sky. I would encourage you to try it ... and to report back!

I really think we need to encourage and reward airlines that offer reasonably-priced tickets with something other than the "cattle-car" experience of international coach.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:01 AM

Re Maxjet, try Silverjet instead & get a flat(ish) bed

Midges are small mosquitoes that eat you alive - even repellant doesn't
Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:39 AM

Yikes -- midges don't sound pleasant. I'm going to be in Edinburgh primarily. Are the midges more of a Highlands thing?
Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...atures/midges/ - follow this link for more midge info. Mainly a Highland problem.

Don't be imagining huge great mosquitoes - they are actually very tiny flies. It's just that they go around in great big gangs and yes, they do bite.
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Our family is a HUGE fan of MaxJet! The price is very resonable for the superb service! The beds recline to 170 degree, the food was tasty; a portable tv-dvd player had about 2 dosen movies, different cartoons for the kids, games etc. We just booked a round trip London- New York for $1049 per person for August through a company Flyaway travel (on the web directly it is about $200 more). They also offer great breakfast in nearby hotel (Renessance I think) and use of their gym. For those who are checking in only in afternoon, it is great opportunity to eat and relax before going into the city. If you fly Continental or Virgin for the same dates it is around $1000, BUT Economy class. To sum up: we love it and use MaxJet for ALL our trips to London.
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:22 AM

<<< I'm going to be in Edinburgh primarily. >>>

If in August the midges might be preferable