Honfleur restaurants - weather

Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Honfleur restaurants - weather

Hi,

Am heading to Honfleur for a relaxing week on 19 May. Would love some recommendations for some restaurants. Can anyone help?

Also, I know the weather is unpredictable, but assuming that the days are warm - would you need a jacket for the evenings? I havne't been to Normandy before.

Thanks, Laura
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:44 AM

Without question, one of the best meals of our summer trip was in Honfleur at Au P'tit Marayeur. Food and service were superb-- I quote from my trip report:

"We had the MOST WONDERFUL meal of the trip on our second night at Au P'tit Mareyeur. I can't sing this restaurant's praises enough. The food was outstanding, the service was impeccable, and the prices were unbelievably modest. I write in my diary for that evening...
"I had the Bouillabaisse de Honfleur, and it was simply the best I've eaten. The saffron-based soup was extraordinary, and so much was in it, I couldn't finish it-fish (salmon, mackerel, white fish), langoustines, mussels, conch, and some other stuff...and the toasts and butter that were served with it were SO good. Michael had the 21 euro menu, with pork medallions and potatoes-a small dish, but superb. Came with an amuse-bouche, oysters (delicious), cheese (camembert) and dessert. With a 5-euro supplement, he had the gateau with pistachio ice cream-HEAVENLY! I had a little extra - apple sorbet with calvados- I couldn't finish the calvados, but it had an interesting taste. Finally we finished off with a coffee-and the total bill was 54 euros! Can you tell how much I loved this meal? And this doesn't even give justice to the service, which was perfect-not hovering, but still attentive. "

We don't drink much, so you can add a bit more to the cost if you order wine, but that dinner would've been worth it at twice the price (or more).

Paule
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:50 AM

I would pack a jacket or sweater for the evenings-channel weather changes constantly.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM

Evenings by the water can get chilly, even if the day was hot. Just keep a jacket handy -- you may not need to wear it.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:42 AM

We had one of our bet meals in France at L'Absinthe in Honfleur( www.absinthe.fr) Both the setting and the food were memorable.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:07 AM

Two restaurants directly on the Old Harbor, with ables on the quay, are worth a mention, the Vieux Honfleur and the Bisquine. (The Bisquine will take dinner reservations up to 7:30 p.m. After that hour, it's by chance. ) These are the best of the bunch right on the Old Harbor, in my opinion. The rest are good for mussels, French fries and the view. Other serious Honfleur eateries are off the Old Harbor, and a couple of good ones have been named above. We are told (but haven't verified) that the Absinthe lately isn't as good as it was. It used to be very good indeed.
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:23 AM

The owners of our B&B in Honfleur recommended Le Bouillon Normand, and we loved it. Very local--small, menu on chalkboard, delicious bistro food; we needed reservations in early May ('05) and saw many being turned away w/o them. Reservation was made just couple of hours ahead, so no need for days in advance, etc.

We were about a week + ahead of you and definitely needed jackets in evening, and I would not say that it was "warm" in the daytime either. But as you know, it varies widely, as does most every place. Have fun!