Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip Itinerary - Florence/Santorini/Athens

Apr 6th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Im planning a trip to Italy/Greece with a friend in May and wanted to get a bit of feedback on our itinerary so far. Right now we have plane tickets for just about everything except for the Athens/Santorini leg. Im travelling with a friend I have not seen for a while, and while I have already been to Florence, neither of us have been to Greece.

Day 1: Arrive Florence (in the afternoon)
Day 2: Florence
Day 3: Florence (travel by train to Rome in the PM to be positioned for flight the next morning)
Day 4: Fly Rome -> Athens -> Santorini
Day 5: Santorini
Day 6: Santorini (Daytrip Naxos? Is it possible to go and come back in the same day? Havent seen any ferry schedules that say its possible)
Day 7: Santorini
Day 8: Santorini -> Athens
Day 9: Athens
Day 10: Fly Athens (afternoon) -> Rome -> Train Florence
Day 11: Fly out of Florence back home.

In Florence, were meeting up with a couple of friends who live in Italy now who will play our tour guides. I have already seen the Duomo and Uffizi and have a feeling he wont want to. Our time in Florence will probably be spent strolling around, going out to eat and catching up on the past few months.

As for Greece, I wanted to focus on the islands but also see a little bit of Athens (also a buffer just in case something happens with delayed flights on the way back... dont want to be flying santorini-athens-rome the day before we return home). I really want to see Santorini, but I know the beaches arent very impressive as some of the other islands so I was thinking of doing a daytrip to Naxos if this is possible? I took a look at some of the ferry schedules and while theres an early morning ferry to Naxos, but I didnt see one returning on that same day (day 6 is a thursday).

I am also looking for hotel suggestions for Santorini as well. I know (thank you brotherleelove ) that Fira has more nightlife than Oia but is not as pretty. But how is Firostefani? I definitely know wed like to be near some nightlife but would still like to stay in a nice hotel.

Thank you in advance for all your help!
Apr 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Firostefani sounds like the best choice for you. It's charming and not crowded like Fira, but a short walk along a cliff pathway from all the nightlife. Check out the Blue Dolphins in Firostefani. http://www.santonet.com/hotels/bluedolphins/

Yes, a day trip to Naxos is possible, but you'll only have a few hours before needing to be back at the ferry port for the return. www.gtp.gr will give you the timetables for those ferries that are applicable, both car ferry and highspeed catamaran.
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Brotherleelove -
Thank you so much for all your help. That hotel sounds great, and thank you again for all you information on other threads as well! I am so excited for the trip!

Many thanks again!
Apr 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM

You're welcome, kalikiana. Please leave us a trip/hotel report when you return.
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:45 PM

We, too, are goiing to Greece in May. Did someone tell you the beaches in Santorini are unimpressive? Although, they are mostly black sand beaches, I've heard they are beautiful. I love to lay around on a white sandy beach, myself, which is why we are spending more time in Crete and Mykonos, but I had to book 1 night in Santorini to see the spectacular views and the most beautiful sunsets for myself!

For the inter-island ferries, try www.hellenicseaways.gr. Also, for Santorini hotels, try www.santorini.us/Santorini_hotels.htm.

Have a fabulous trip!