6 or 7 days in Cyclades, Need itinerary help from Athens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to conclude my trip to Europe in September with 6 or 7 days in the Cyclades. Currently, I am planning on leaving Athens on Monday, September 10th, after spending the weekend there, and flying out of either Santorini or Mykonos open-jaw back to the United States on either the following Sunday or Monday, so 6 or 7 nights. I have found flight options for both cities that will get me back to the States in one day with no overnights. I need help configuring those 6 or 7 days. I have never been to Greece before, and I know I want to visit at least 2 islands. My boyfriend and I are looking for sun, beaches, water activites, food and drink, as we are definitely wanting to go out a few nights. Would like to see Mykonos and Santorini, with maybe a day in Paros or Naxos or Ios, or a day trip to Delos from Mykonos.

Also, heard that the traditional ferry into Santorini is amazing for photos (versus the high-speed cat from Athens), should I go to Mykonos first then down to Santorini or vice-versa, would Mykonos be fun for going out on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, versus the weekend?

We will have seen lots of historical sites in Athens, so we are looking for fun and sun and great photo ops, though I think a day-trip to Delos would be interesting. Thanks in advance for advice!
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Santorini is peaceful, whereas Mykonos is more lively (esp. near Mykonos Town) - both are very beautiful. Santorini is breath-taking. I think you'll find better beaches in Mykonos - we rented a scooter and drive around the island and stopped by the different beaches. The beaches in Santorini are nice but a little more rocky - black sand, red sand. Mykonos Town is very upbeat and the music is playing until very late into the night, whereas in Oia (where I stayed in Santorini) it's very calm and still during the night. Based on what you're looking for, you can divide the time up accordingly. We did a flight from Athens to Santoroni, then a ferry from Santorini to Mykonos, and a flight back to Athens just b/c we were short on time. I've heard taking ferries all around is a good option if you have the time. Have an amazing trip!
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 08:44 AM

With only 6-7 days, you have no time to see more than Mykonos and Santorini -and of course if you wish you can take a boat trip around caldera and to Thirassia islet from Santorini and/or visit Delos as a side trip from Mykonos. Ferry shedules do not work out for day trips to other islands and please do not underestimate time needed to travel on ferries among the islands and of course from mainland to islands! Piraeus to Santorini is a good 6-8 hours ride on the slow large ferry (this is what you mean "traditional" I guess)... Usually Santorini to Mykonos is 2 and a half hours on fast catamaran ferry. Personally I think that the whole hip about arriving on Santorini in a ferry is a bit overrated. If you are coming on a cruise ship, I see some reasoning on this. You have no worries ship will continue its trip before you disembark, you do not have to care about laggages and so on.. But if you are traveling on a regular ferry, you get a glimpse of caldera from a dostance, but as you approach the island, you will soon have to go down, collect your baggages and wait by the garage door to disembark. So not really lots of time to enjoy the views! Of course you have more time to appreciate the scenery when you leave the island on a ferry, although connecting to Mykonos you'll have to use a fast ferry! lol Flying Cats are a far better option that High Speeds on this route. HS are totally enclosed, the are not very stable in case of waves, and last couple of years they are known to have some mechanical problems every now and then... FCs are also weak on winds, but are usually a tad bit larger and some of them have a couple of outside areas, although usually you are forced to stay in the inside area when ferry departs.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 09:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Disembarking passengers on the large ferry to Santorini were all told to go down below as we approached the island so after looking forward to the views, we never saw them except from a distance.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I think it might be better to go maybe fly to Santorini, and then take the ferry out to Paros or Mykonos. Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 01:15 PM

If you go to Mykonos first you can take the 10am morning highspeed ferry to Paros (40 minutes) and catch the large Blue Star car ferry when it stops at Noon on the way to Santorini. This method will actually get you to Santorini earlier in the day than the FlyingCat4 as well as giving you the unique pleasure of first entering the caldera from the deck of an open ship instead of through the hazy, salt-encrusted windows of the highspeed.

If you're travelling to Santorini on any large, open-deck car ferry you do not have to go down below until you have enjoyed the view entering the caldera. For that matter, you can wait until the ship has docked if you don't mind being one of the last passengers to leave the ship.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

@brotherleelove thanks for your comments, I was considering your suggestion, but I know Mykonos has a better reputation for nightlife than Santorini, so I was thinking about spending the latter part of the week in Mykonos to take advantage of the weekend there. So, I also had questions about whether the nightlife in Mykonos would still be active on Monday through Wednesday nights.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 03:06 PM

I do not think the islands are so much of a weekend destination. Maybe some islands very close to Athens such as Aegina or Hydra that Athenians go to, but not so much the Cyclades. International travelers obviously do not take weekend into account, and September is not a very busy period for Greeks anyway.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM

Smithgardner, don't sell Santorini's nightlife so short. Mykonos may have the reputation, but Fira is full of bars, clubs and discos that will be full of partyers at night in September.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Great thanks! sounds like I cannot go wrong!