Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip in 3 weeks - Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reposted on behalf of another poster from another thread:<BR><BR>We're traveling to Italy during the next three weeks; Venice, Rome, Naples (Pompeii) and Tuscany. Would you recommend Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast during this time of the year. We'll be driving so we're flexible. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 05:05 PM

No question--the Amalfi coast. You will be at Naples anyway and it is warmer further south--but you knew that.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:56 AM

I love the Amalfi coast, but in March it will be very cool, only in the high 50 (F). There is a more than average chance that it will rain. Many of the best hotels and restaurants close until April when it starts to warm up. Much of Capri will be shut down as well. The sights will be just as pretty, but don't be under the impression that it will be warm and sunny. Also, the ferries may not be running as regularly. Cinque Terre is more of an all-year destination, so you may want to consider this. I personally would save the Amalfi coast for when it is at its best in late Spring or September.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:58 AM

I don't know when you are arriving but the weather in Milan is unusually warm - I live in Milan and it is in the high 60's - Southern Italy is 10-15F warmer. Since you are already going to Naples, I would definately recommend driving to Sorrento, Positano, Amafi and the others. Chinque Terre is in Northern Italy (near Genoa) and is 8 hours driving North from Naples.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:00 AM

The Amalfi coast will normally be a few degrees warmer than 5 Terre. But neither will be very warm unless there are (as noted above) unusual weather conditions. Should be good temps for sightseeing. Enjoy.<BR><BR>I prefer the Amalfi coast overall--just as beautiful, if not more so, and much more to see and do. 5 Terre is no longer undiscovered and untrampled.