Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre

Old Feb 19th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre

I have been to Cinque Terre and never been to the Amalfi Coast.

This may seem like a foolish question, but are they very similar or dissimilar?

If I have been to CT, have I kind of gotten a flavor of AC?

Trying to determine if I want to include AC in my September trip or go elsewhere.

Thanks
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 08:36 AM

The towns in the Cinque Terre are very small. On the AC the towns are bigger, the hotels bigger and fancier.

I can't imagine staying more than 2 days in the CT. Walking between the towns is about all there is to do. Whereas the Amalfi coast area has all sorts of sights: Capri, Pompeii and Herculaneum, Sorrento, Mt. Vesuvius, Paestum, Naples, in addition to the towns on the AC. A visit to the AC could easily fill up a week. There's also more to do there if it rains, unlikely in September.

Both places are crowded in the high season and even still in September. But there's more space, more places to go on the AC.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 09:10 AM

Nothing alike---AC is much more upscale.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 11:48 AM

Have been to both. They are quite different, except for the fact that both offer lovely views of towns and water.

I think you will find a richer history and more significant art on the Amalfi Coast, if that interests you. The cathedrals in Amalfi and Ravello are both artistically significant, with great works of art (bronze doors dating to the 11th and 12th centuries, lovely mosaics on ambos/pulpits). You can get away somewhat from the crowds on Amalfi by venturing on some trails and into smaller towns.

Food is somewhat different, too. I remember the most wonderful plump (not shriveled) anchovies from the CT. Also had great pesto with trofie (a rolled pasta). On the Amalfi, I remember some great calamari, mozzarella, pizzas, and pasta ai frutta di mare.

So, no, they are not substitutions for each other. Like most of Italy, they have something unique (food, wine, art, history)to offer you.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 01:04 PM

They're not at all alike; of the two areas, I prefer the Amalfi Coast. The Cinque Terre is very overcrowded except in the dead of low season. I would go there only for the hiking, but a lot of the lower (less challenging) paths are closed because of the danger of landslides. The higher paths are lovely, and the hordes of tourists never go up there, but they require a fairly good level of fitness and adequate shoes.

The Amalfi Coast also has some good hiking, but it has much more to do apart from the hiking.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 04:04 PM
kja

You've gotten some great info already. Let me just add that I think 2 or 3 nights would suffice for most people for the Cinque Terre. Visiting the Amalfi Coast takes closer to a week, depending on what exactly one wants to do. Since the sites are SO different, I would think a good guide book should give you some invaluable information.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 05:27 PM

You ask: are they very similar or dissimilar? The answer is - it depends. There are some significant differences as pointed out above. BUT - compared to some other sea side places - the coast of Maine, a Caribbean island, a Greek Island - well then they are very similar. The scenery is a bit more dramatic in the AC, but really pretty similar to the CT area. The CT villages themselves are tiny, and maybe a little 'run down' compared to the towns on the AC - Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, Capri, Sorrento.

Here's my photos of both.http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/ital...ligurian_coast
http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/ital...aples__pompeii
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the input!

I think I am going to save AC for another time.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 06:35 PM

They are nothing alike - unless you go to the AC, stay in one of the small towns and do alot of hiking.

That is your limit in CT. In the AC there are a million. other things to see/do - and yes, it is more upscale and more expensive.

IMHO no comparison - other than being cut into cliffs above the sea in Italy
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks NY! from a former NJ!