Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

Hello!
We are going on our honeymoon to Italy in September. We only have a couple extra days to choose to do EITHER (wish we had time/ money to do both, but don't!) Cinque Terre, or head south and see some of the Amalfi Coast/ Sorrento/ Capri. Any suggestions/ recommendations for which area we should head to?!? Thanks so much!!!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:43 AM
ira

Hi dug,

What is the rest of your itinerary?

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM

Hi, myself and my bf spent a few nights in Manarola, Cinque Terre May '08 and absolutely loved it - it was scenic, quaint and ideal as a base for visiting the other town and/or Portofino area. It was touristy during the day but in the evening we felt like we had it to ourselves. However... we have just returned from a week in the Amalfi Coat (in a village called Torca outside Sant'Agata between Sorrento & Positano) and I think my post holiday blues are bigger and stronger than last year lol. It must be the most beautiful place in the world, no matter where u are based and will be that bit quieter in September. You can't go wrong with either but the Amalfi Coast gets my vote I can't wait to get back!!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:49 AM

For only a few days i may opt for the 5 Terre - just five tiny villages strung together - Amalfi Coast has so much to offer - places like Capri, Pompeii, the bus or car drive along the Amalfi Coast road, etc. that you may want to save it when you have more time.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM

A couple of extra days sounds like a possible two nights. I couldn't do just two nights in either place. That's like offering a kid an ice cream cone without the ice cream.

They both have tons of charm but Cinque Terre is less glamorous than Amalfi, therefore it's cheaper, too. A couple in love can find romance wherever they are. Pick what you can afford and take it from there.

If you had a bigger budget, the Amalfi offers more glamorous service choices. I love September in the south and it's easy to up the ante by spending much more than you can afford. But why tempt yourself if you really don't have the funds? There's no place like Cinque Terre. You can't go wrong experiencing either.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

ira... we will be going to Rome, Venice, Florence, and Pompeii/ Herculaneum.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:13 AM

If you are planning Pompeii and/or Ercolano, then stay on the Amalfi Coast. Were you planning to do it as a day trip from Rome if you didn't stay there? I know people do it as a day trip but that just doesn't sound like fun to me. Too much packed into one day!

Where are you flying in & out of? Do you already have the other hotels booked? We can give you better help if we had some more info.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Ya the Amalfi Coast makes good sense... you can do both Pompeii & Herculaneum quite comfortably in one day by train from Sorrento. Pompeii was great to see for the quantity and Herculaneum for quality of excavations.

Sounds like an amazing honeymoon
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 09:02 AM

We ended our honeymoon (a similar trip to yours) in Positano, it was wonderful. We liked the CT too, but overall preferred Amalfi. With your iten, I think it makes the most sense.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 10:08 AM

We did both and both are different yet great. For your trip I opt for he Amalfi Coast, Positano in particular. Albergo California is good as a 3 star and Holiday House Gilda as a Pensione. We used Positano Adventure Walks for the Pompei/Herculaneum Tour and for Capri. English speaking .