Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which is better - Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted earlier about my trip to Italy, and the response was that I had too many places planned. I need to decide which one to eliminate from my trip - Cinque Terre or Positano or Sorrento at the Amalfi Coast. Thought I would pose the question to you experienced travelers - which one do you prefer?
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM

It also depends on how many days you have. The Cinque Terre are good for about 2 days. If you want to explore further on the Italian Riviera, like Portofino, Camogli, even Genoa, add more days.

But around the Amalfi coast, there are so many must-see's: Pompeii and Herculaneum, Capri, Naples, Paestum, as well as the towns on the coast itself. I'd think a minimum of 4 days, depending on what you want to see.

As for preference, I like both of them.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Conundrum here.. Been to both and have to say Amalfi is/was touristy but awesome beauty. Cinque terre...different trip altogether..Started in Levanto, stayed @ Hotel Garden, took the train (a sort of hop on/hop off) to Rio Maggiore steep climbs,(I'm 76) excellent coffee, Mucho rain but still outstanding. Walked to Manerola.(easy, easy, easy) Took the train back and froth to Levento. Ate @ "3 cantinas" and then off to Firenze. Had a car and the hotel had free parking, good breakfast and free internet.. The train was cheap, the location/towns were outstanding and I loved every minute. All this happened @ end of Oct/07. Amalfi was totally different..More towns, more people more$$$. Again much up & down but I think I'd go back for more Cingue.Hope you have a wonderful time.Also this all depends on your itin. If you are south don't miss Amalfi..North/cental don't miss CT.Both may be too much unless you are there a fair piece of time and I don't know how much time that would have to be.. Again have a wonderful time.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 06:47 AM

If you aren't going to go to Capri while on the Amalfi Coast, I'd go to Cinque Terre.

That said it really depends on what you like to do. Hiking from town to town in Cinque Terre is something you will never forget. It's gorgeous. Jumping in the Mediterranean after a long, not so easy hike is quite an amazing experience.

If you're not into hiking, go to the Amalfi Coast. It's more resort like, but the towns are still quite quaint and beautiful.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 07:02 AM

If you're young and on a budget, go to Cinque Terre: more people of your own age, considerably less expensive.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
JBX

Cinque Terre vs. Amalfi coast
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34973406

Amalfi Coast vs. Cinqueterre
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34946304

Above are a couple links to other threads discussing the CT versus AC choice. As for myself, and having been to both places, it's as others in this thread have suggested -- different experiences and choosing one over the other depends on what you'd enjoy.

An additional consideration is the time of year you'll be going to Italy. If you'll be there during winter season, then Amalfi Coast (further south & a warmer at that time of year) may be a better option.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 09:59 AM
ira

Hi A,

What's the rest of the itinerary and how many days for either the CT or the AC?

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your responses so far. Very helpful!

To answer some of your questions - we will be traveling the first two weeks of May probably, but are flexible. My rough itenerary WAS as follows: probably Flying in midday Saturday to Venice. A few days there then on to Cinque Terra, Florence, small towns in Umbria like Assisi & Spoleto, Rome, then Amalfi Coast and fly out from Naples on Saturday.

The feedback I have gotten is that is too much to do in two weeks. So I'm at least cutting out either Cinque Terre or AC.

Thanks again,
A
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Look at your map---the choice is obvious. You have to want to get to the AC and having gone to spend 3 days minimum.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Your route is all over the peninsular map and you are mind-bogglingly ambitious for 2 weeks- If you are fixed on starting in Venice and ending in Naples, it makes sense to cut Cinque Terre, which is totally out of the way for you.

You will also be veering all over the map (without direct fast highway or rail connections) to go from Florence to Assissi-Spoleto.

Venice - Florence - Rome - Naples and Amalfi with maybe a couple of small tuscan town stops in between or as trips from Florence seems like a pretty big chunk to bite off.

re Amalfi vs. CT - the hiking from village to village in Amalfi etc. is fantastic, wonderful. You should really enjoy a visit to that area in May.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:43 AM
JBX

Weatherwise, it's 6 of one / half-dozen of the other for that time of year (May). If you haven't bought your plane tickets yet, then flying into Venice, out of Rome would be your best option for including the Cinque Terre region. Alternatively, if you're leaning towards passing on the CT and including Amalfi Coast area, then you definitely want to depart out from Naples.

Back to your main question . . . CT vs. AC .... I'd go with the Amalfi Coast choice. Like I said in my earlier post, I've been to both places. They do offer different experiences; I found the AC more interesting as to things to see/do.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 07:00 AM

I've been to both also and would say hands down the Amalfi Coast. I loved Cinque Terre but there is a much better variety of sights and things to do on the Amalfi Coast. It is slightly more crowded but equally beautiful. We made our base Sorrento and did side trips to Positano, Capri and Pompeii.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM

I did Venice, Tuscany (Sienna, Florence, Montalcino, Montepulciano, San Gimignano, Volterra, Chianti Region and Pienza, with a car of course) as well as Cinque Terre in 2 weeks.
4 nights in Venice, 2 in Montalcino, 3 Siena, 3 Cinque Terre (Manarola), 2 Florence. Flew in and out of Florence and rented a car for the 5 days in Sienna/Montalcino. It was perfect. we did Florence right at the end and didn't want to go to museums etc. so we saved time but not hitting those major sites. I am currently planning our second trip which we knew we would take one day while planning on honeymoon. this trip will also be 2 weeks and cover the two major areas we didn't get to go to on the last trip. Rome and the Amalfi Coast - visiting Naples, Sorrento, Pompeii, eraclano, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Paestum and Capri/Anacapri. While planning my honeymoon is made more sense to see Cinque rather than Amalfi based on really wanting to go to Tuscany and Venice as well. Amalfi was just too far south to make it all work out. good luck!
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Positano gets my vote. Prettiest place ever been.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM

I have been to both and would choose the Amalfi Coast over the Cinque Terre particularly if you've never been to either. However, pleas know that this choice is not by a wide margin.

The Amalfi Coast is a fairly slick touristy destination. It is also strikingly beautiful staying in, say, Sorrento (my choice twice), and taking tours from there down the coast to Amalfi, Positano, and the Isle of Capri (pronounced "COP-ree"), etc. All the lemons, views, Mt. Vesuvius, wide open and accommodating restaurants, cafés, shops and little lanes running in and out. It's all very intoxicating (maybe due to the limoncello --- haha).

Conversely, the Cinque Terre is much more rustic and rough around the edges; and while infinitely interesting requires a lot of walking up steep hills -- it just has a more closed in yet intimate feel. Of course there IS the hike between the 5 (cinque) towns (terra) that is quite rewarding albeit very taxing if you actually do the whole thing on foot (you can partition it up with a train or boat ride).

So yes, overall I'd say the Amalfi Coast is what I would pick by a small difference if I were forced to. I'm also now 50 and since I've now "done" the Cinque Terre which requires a not-small amount of exertion and is frequented by a lot of very young people, this may also be coloring my choice.

I feel for you that you have to choose when you would unequivocally enjoy either. But you asked and so these are my thougths....
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:39 AM

I expected to love Positano based on all the things I had read, and i have to say that I was underwhelmed. Granted we were early in the season, being there the first week of April, but I wish we hadn't stayed there. The value for the hotels is abyssmal- I've never been anywhere where you get so very little accomodation for so much money. And the winding streets were overrun with tourist shops. I would recommend a visit, but an overnight stay is not necessary in my opinion. Walk through, and pictures from the beach of the town hanging from the cliffsides- that was wonderful. Perhaps if I had much lower expectations of Positano my visit would have been better.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM

Both are sublime. However, I agree with mbow. While Positano is pretty I was underwhelmed and glad that we did not stay longer than one night (wanted to give it a chance - many places are best experienced in the evenings after many tourists leave). Sorrento, while lovely, does not grab me and tug at my heartstrings as the CT does! There is just something about CT that is so magical (not to mention less busy).

If given the choice to fly to either tomorrow my pick would be CT. I love walking from village to village. Although touristy it feels less touristy to me than the AC (we've been to both a couple of times - in May and end of September). I find the CT to be less resort-y (we avoid resorts like the plague! and more atmospheric).
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM

oh and I am based to the Cinque Terre I guess because I haven't been to the Amafli Coast yet. Cinque was absolutely breathtaking, like nothing I've ever seen or experienced before. Being able to go to the beach and hike, having amazing food and views. while also feeling so far away from everything and in your own perfect little world was incredible. I would go back there anytime! Hopefully I love the Amalfi Coast just as well! Choose whichever fits into your travel plans best and go back to Italy again!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM

I meant biased not based!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Hi adesign --

I definitely agree with Bob's comment above. Mapping out your two potential travel routes will help you see your options more clearly. If you have the flexibility (not sure how far along you are in your planning) to change your starting/ending points, then you'll have more freedom to choose between the CT and AC. I have been to both and have pros/cons and opinions of each to share:

CT - The CT felt a bit more laid back and real to me. The towns were very easy to get between (either by foot or train). In general, food and lodging was less expensive (although not by much) than the AC. Full of amazing views, incredible food, and plenty of things to do (hiking, beach, general exploring of each town). Food highlights include pesto, olive oil, lemons, and the local wines (white CT wine and dessert wine sciacchetra). The big con might be weather at the time of year you are planning to go.

AC - The AC felt more glamorous in general. It also felt more crowded (we visited both at the same time of year). We loved traveling by hydrofoil to visit Amalfi, Capri, etc. Each town (especially Ravello) was unforgettable--full of amazing views, flowers, and gravity-defying architecture. The bus rides were scary, but memorable. The weather will probably be more appealing here in May. When we visited in July, it was incredible--sunny and gorgeous every day. Major cons: Definitely expensive (hotels, shops, and food). Getting out to dinner each night in Positano was a bit of pain as we had to get rides b/c of the way the town is laid out. Getting to the AC in general was a real hassle. From Naples, we took the slowest train I have ever been on to Sorrento, followed by a bus to Positano. The journey seemed never ending, although the payoff was great.

Basically, we really loved both places, but they have differences when it comes to accessibility, cost, and weather. The atmosphere differs slightly, as well. You can't go wrong with either, so deciding based on time of year and how it fits in with the rest of your trip is the best way to go.

Good luck!