Amalfi or Cinque Terre after chathedrals and museums

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd trip to Italy late spring (May/June). After the "culture" of Rome or Florence, would you recommend Amalfi or Cinque Terre for 4 days of loafing, and sunning and no stress side trips. We are flexible and like hiking, shoping, historical sites, eating, small town exploring. Arrival to and departure from teither of these areas will be by train. Thanks FOdorites. I know I can count on your help!

Rolo
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM

Well you can;t do the Amalfi coast by train because there is none. You would have to take a train to either Naples, change for local train to Sorrento then bus down the coast. Or train to Salerno and bus up the coast. Or - you could take a ferry from either, but it might be a pain with luggage.

We've done the area several times in May and loved it. but we had a car that we used to see Naples, Pompeii and drive along the coast to the various small towns. Just took a ferry to Capri.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Rolo- We have stayed in the Cinque Terre in Montorosso.
We loved it.It is very relaxing and laid back.
It seems more accessible to me than the Amalfi coast.
Don't get me wrong we have been to Sorrento,Capri,Pompeii and Positano. The Coastline to me along the Amalfi is extremely steep, especially for walking.We bused in and out of Positano. Granted we did not walk all the paths to each village of the Cinque Terre but the train made it easy to get around in the C.T.. They are noted for being late, but we relaxed in the Train Station and had Gin & Tonica's until they arrived.
Each coastline is equally beautiful,I don't think you will be disappointed in which ever you choose.
I'm not sure but the Cinque Terre may also be more affordable to stay in.Do your research and choose a village--we chose Monterosso because it is more active than other villages and larger, more restaurant choices,etc.
I would have to dig deeper to find where we stayed but I could do that, if you're interested?!?!
Ciao Sally
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 07:41 AM

I would head to the Lighurian coast and base in Rapallo or Santa Maria Lighure. Beautiful area, relaxing and enjoyable.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:29 PM

It rather depends on where you are beginning and ending: flying into Pisa or Firenze and heading for Rome? Then perhaps you should keep going to the Amalfi. Or starting in Rome and ending up in Firenze? Then maybe you should go to le Cinque Terre.

How much do you want to be around tourists? Both areas get jam-packed with them, and yet the Mediterranean is a verrrrrry long coast, with several islands, including some just off Tuscany.

People come to Liguria and pack into le Cinque Terre, which are very tiny towns, and there is much more elbow room in the towns that surround Lerici, and much better food in Chiaviari, more cultural attractions within reach of Genova. Likewise, there are island off Tuscany for relaxation and all-Italian fun, or lesser known but gorgeous places around the Amalfi area with delicious traditional food and very few affluent foreign tourists.

If you look at pictures and do a little more research, you'll begin to get a sense of the different feeling between the sybaritic Amalfi coast and the more rustic Ligurian coast.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Actually "Chiaviari" is spelled "Chiavari", just mentioning the correct spelling for anyone that wants to research this city and the surrounding area. And the area east of Chiavari is quite interessting and rather an area where you don't find tourist very much although one would need a car to explore it.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Yes, thanks for correcting my finger slip!
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Ciao!
Just returning from Italia and having experienced both locations you mention, I would say without reservation, Le Cinque Terre. It's more diverse, has plenty of unique towns, accessible via various forms of transportation, full of adventure, beauty and memories.

Amalfi, while picturesque and also amazing, is not as diverse and even a stop in Capri, is a one-day adventure, where you will have 5 little towns in Le Cinque Terre.

If you were to stay at the Porto Rosso in Montorosso al Mare, you would fall in love with the experience and want to return again and again.

Take the train, walk to the towns, eat your self silly on delicious seafood and pesto everything. Then wash it down with ... well, you get the idea.

A presto!

LL
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank You all for your great help and comments. I am weighing the time and benefits of visiting both places.

TO NYtraveler, I should have been clearer in my post. The plnn is to train to Naples from Venice and take the Circumvesuviana Train to Sorrento. Operate out of there for Amalfi "tours" by bus or boat.

TO Zeppolle, Thank you, I see your advice regularly posted and always enjoy your suggestions. I am still firming the flight details. Plan is to fly into Venice and depart from Milan. Thinking of a late train from Venice to Milan and on to Sorrento for Amalfi operations. Back to Rome to visit the sights we did not get to the last time (May 09) and on to Cinque Terre and Milan.

To Long Legs, I like your style. Again still firming plans but was leaning toward staying in Levanto as the "base of operations" I will reconsider Montorosso