First-time traveler to Europe again!

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First-time traveler to Europe again!

Thanks to everyone who answered seriously and nicely, and not as much thanks to those who answered quite rudely. But thanks for your time, I guess.

Next Question:

I am flying into Heathrow, and am on my own in London until my friend arrives at Gatwick 10 hours later. What is the best way to get from Heathrow to Gatwick, and what should along the way?

And for all of you who seem baffled at my naivity, we have the entire tripped planned, train and plane tickets booked, etc...we will survive. Hopefully. Thanks for all your concerns.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You probably don't want to go to Gatwick. They are on opposite sides of London (and there is nothing to do in between). Are you staying over in central London -- If so, just go to your hotel from LHR and then explore for a few hours. Your friend can go to the hotel from LGW.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM

What janisj said, just in case you need a second opinion. No reason to go through the hassle of getting to Gatwick from Heathrow, unless your friend needs you to get him/her into town for some reason. Assuming that isn't the case, meet at your hotel and spend the 10 hours in between staying awake (to beat jet lag) and perhaps doing something your friend may not be that interested in.

On the off chance you do need to get to Gatwick, this page may be helpful: http://tinyurl.com/5y624q Gatwick and Heathrow's sites also have lots of information on getting into London.

(Just a Fodor's tip: It would be a good idea to use somewhat more descriptive post titles - something like "Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick." "First trip to Europe" could reference anywhere, and people who can help you may be less likely to read it.)
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help, but I have to go to Gatwick because I'm meeting up with my friend and then meeting up with her friends who we are staying with. Anywhere specific I should go by myself? Thanks again!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Ah. Well, hopefully the Heathrow web site will be helpful. I haven't done it myself so that's the extent of my knowledge.

As far as what to do on your own, well, that depends on what you want to see and what you have planned for the rest of the week. Hard to make recommendations, since we don't know what you are interested in.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:39 PM

The least expensive way (if that's your biggest concern) would be to use the metro. It leaves right from Heathrow. I can't remember if it gets you to Gatwick but take it as far as you can to wherever the pick up would be to get to Gatwick. Anything else would be very expensive. But I am not an expert, I've been researching my first trip as well for months now and just finished a bunch of research on travel from Heathrow (we settled on using the metro).
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:43 PM

I still don't understand why you need to go to Gatwick. If you ware talking about 4 hours -- sure. But it is 10 hours. Where do they live? Is it in London? If so, get the address of your friend's friends place and meet them there (or anyplace else they recommend)

Otherwise you will either 1) have to take a bus to Gatwick and hang around for 7 hours - or - 2) go into London on the tube, hang around for 4 or 5 hours and then take a train to Gatwick.

Actually - w/o knowing where you are staying it is awfully hard to give advice -- there might be other/better options.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM

nicbur: Sorry, but the "metro" (underground) goes nowhere NEAR Gatwick. . . . . .
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM

As I said, take the metro (tube) to the furthest point they can to catch whatever form of transportation they use to get to Gatwick. Although, I agree with janisj that there has to be a better option than going all the way to Gatwick. It seems like such a waste of time. Can't all of you meet up somewhere central if not at the friend's place? Just a suggestion to simplify things for you.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM

There used to be some kind of bus that made the trip between the two airports; the word "Links" was in the title. We took it when we flew from Athens to Heathrow, and our USAirways plane to PIT was leaving from Gatwick the next morning.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM

grandmere: That is the National Express coach I was talking about above when I said he'd >>have to take a bus to Gatwick
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM

I agree w/ janisj--why not just meet your friends at their home in London? If you must get to Heathrow, you could always just take a (very expensive) cab ride! Hope you got the money thing straight now.
Enjoy your trip and safe travels
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:38 AM

Another vote for just meeting them in central London. It really makes no sense going all the way out to Gatwick, there is nothing to see out there, and getting there is going to be a pain in the butt.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 01:53 AM

The bus from Heathrow to Gatwick takes about 70 minutes, and is quicker and easier than any journey using the "metro" (not a name used in London, except for a free newspaper) and surface rail.

There are four buses or so each hour, and details are at www.nationalexpress.com.

Having said that, you have a lot of time to kill and I am sure other arrangements would be more fun.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 04:03 AM

lharv,

Where is the house you will be staying located?

It makes a huge difference in how you should approach this whole issue.

Is it close to Heathrow?, close to Gatwick? Central London? Northside? Southside? East? West? ????
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 04:39 AM

Really a total waste of your time to try to get to the airport to meet a friend and then go back to some house in London. Figure out how to get to the house and do that and see some sights in London in between.

If you have the trip entirely planned, why is this an issue and why don't you know about how to get money?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 06:05 AM

We aren't even sure the friends live IN London. They could be anywhere. Thats why we need the OP to come back and tell us exactly (or a close as s/he knows) where they will be staying.

Then we can give useful advice . . . .
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 06:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't want to sound like I'm piling on, but agreeing with everyone above, going to Gatwick makes no sense unless the friends happen to live nearby that airport. Voluntarily going into an airport one extra time (when you don't even have a flight) seems like a real big hassle, for what? Pick some other way/place to meet up with your friends. And I mean this in the nicest way
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:04 AM

On a practical note. If you can't change your arrangements or meet your hosts early I would suggest that you take the bus/coach to Gatwick details as above. Deposit your luggage (not sure what storage is available but should be info on the Gatwick website). Take the railway train into London, 2 options half hour Virgin Service (expensive) or local trains (cheaper but slower). Spend a few hours in London and then catch train back to Gatwick, retrieve luggage and friend.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:27 AM

Helen_belsize: That would be awfully expensive -- the Nat'l Express coach plus two train rides plus £6 per bag to stash things in Left Luggage -- all to net maybe 5-6 hours in London tops.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -