Trenitalia troubles. Please help

Jun 12th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Trenitalia troubles. Please help

Hello Folks: I made 3 reservations on Trenitalia. Luckily I got the 3 PNR numbers for my tickets. (Ticketless travel option was chosen). However yesterday on my 4th reservation, my account got locked out/blocked. I have heard from this news group that Trenitalia will not respond to emails or faxes but can someone please tell me that my original 3 PNR numbers are OK even if they blocked/locked out my account? Is there any way to verify that the PNR numbers issues to me are still VALID after they blocked my account? Thanks in advance
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:15 AM
ira

Hi andy,

Your 3 reservations should be good.

Go to www.trenitalia.com.
Click "Customer area".
Click "Change ... reservations"
Enter the codes from your email.

Also check with your CC company. It is likely that the computer blocked your account because of unusual activity.

Jun 12th, 2006, 06:36 AM

When I made my trenitalia reservations in March, I found out my credit card was cancelled when I went out to dinner that night!!! I had already notified USAA re my travel dtes to Italy and Belgium but it still hit the fraud department. One phone call later (and an embarrassing few minutes at the restaurant) I was back i business. lynclarke
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Ira, Thanks. trenitalia is a interesting website. I tried what you suggested but unfortunately - the english website takes you to blank page and the Italian website takes you to login. When I try to login - it gives me the same error - Your account is blocked . Looks like I am out of luck. I sent a email and a fax to ask them to unblock my account - but I Have read other horror stories where they dont respond for 45+ days. I will keep on trying to reach them
Thanks
Anay
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:38 AM
ira

Hi andy,

I just followed my directions to you and came to a page that asked for "Reservation Code" and "booking change code".

If you click "Verify..." you get the log in.

The reason I sent you where I sent you was that if your reservations are still good, you will be able to change them - not that you want to.

If they are still good, you can create a new account, with a different email address, and buy another ticket next to the 3 you have.

Jun 13th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira,
I know that thats a good way to check if PNR is good. The problem is when you get to login - I put my username/password - and it says "Attenzione l'utente risulta non abilitato . Contattare l'helpdesk al numero 892021 "

I tried to get a new account and look up the PNR number from the older blocked account - and it says "No Such PNR number" in Italian .

Basically only way I can verify the PNR number is for them to unblock my account where the PNR number was issued.

I just found out from my CC company that Trenitalia did charge me for every transaction (Even when they did not send the email PNR numbers). Plus a bonus - They blocked my accounts.

And looks like the only way out is to to travel to Italy to talk to them on why they charged me but still blocked my accounts.

Only thing I am glad about the whole experience is you can get 80% refund if you were to cancel 1 day before the trip.

Thanks for all the help though..
Andy

FYI: for folks in USA

Basically the trenitalia process for me worked out like so..

1. Started new account - ok
2. Choose the shedule (In Italian)
3. Book the Family ticket with good prices.
4. Get visa transaction screen. Fill in the information. Visa Security pops up security code window - Type that in. Visa says succesful transaction.
5. Trenitalia says
“Autorizzazione negata - l'utente e stato disabilitato – Acquisto non riuscito, Nessun addebito effettuato”
6. Transitalia also sends a email to your account email saying - Gentile Cliente, La informiamo che per motivi di sicurezza la sua utenza e' stata disabilitata. RIABILITAZIONE UTENZA Per richiederne la riabilitazione puo' contattare l'helpdesk del sito Trenitalia.com ai seguenti recapiti:
Telefono: 892021 opzione 5
Fax: +39 06.43622593
7. If you check your Credit card company. They say trenitalia charged you for the transaction.
8. You realize that 892021 can only be called from Italy and you cannot login to your account because " Attenzione l'utente risulta non abilitato . Contattare l'helpdesk al numero 892021"
9. Then you can either go back to step1 until you run out of email addresses -or- use one of the options below

1.travel to Italy to get tickets which may or may not exist. (Does increase the excitement factor!).
2.dispute the charges and cancel with Transitalia hoping you can get your 80% back.

This has been quite a learning experience for me. Key learning for me - Avoid Trenitalia at any cost if you are not In Italy or close to Italy where you can take a quick train in/out to talk to customer service.

I have 1 advice to folks who are in the USA based on this - Use the US based travel agencies booking tickets and go to Las Vegas where I think the odds are a little better on hitting 3 cherries.

Jun 14th, 2006, 01:39 AM
ira

Hi andy,

>“Autorizzazione negata - l'utente e stato disabilitato – Acquisto non riuscito, Nessun addebito effettuato” <

This means that the purchase did not go through.

Your card should not have been charged.

Also the fact that your PRN doesn't show up also means that the purchase did not go through - at least Trenitalia doesn't think it did.

Send that info to your CC company and tell them not to honor the charge. You will get your full amount back.

How much time will you have in Italy to purchase your tickets?

What are your routes?

You might not have to buy in advance at all.

Jun 15th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira, Checked with the CC company. Each and every transaction went through correctly. Payment was made to trenitalia's bank. I will try to dispute charges but BofA says that these are valid transactions so I may have to talk to trenitalia first. LOL. This is getting more hillarious day by day. I guess I cannot get any money until I talk to them. I have send the PNR information which I got to trenitalia to CANCEL my tickets (20% charge for cancellation). Lets see if they even bother to cancel the tickets.

I am reaching Italy in Peak August. Tickets were booked from Milan to Venice and Venice to Florence. Partial for Florence to Rome. All bookings were on EuroStar+ 1st class.

I dont have many days. Just 2 days in each place. Then a long stay in florence and Rome
THanks
Andy