Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

munich to salzburg by coach! can you plz help me?any sites for on line tickets or info,timetables

munich to salzburg by coach! can you plz help me?any sites for on line tickets or info,timetables

Jun 14th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

hello to all , my name is Natalia and i am from Greece from I am visiting Munich In December and i am looking for a cheap way to visit also Salzburg for a few days . So I thought that by coach is even more inexpensive than by train but i cannot find anything on the internet ...can you help me?
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:15 AM

Topping this for you. I'm not sure that a coach would be any cheaper given the possibility of special low-cost train tickets which i am sure someone here can tell you about.
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:02 AM

>So I thought that by coach is even more inexpensive than by train but i cannot find anything on the internet ...can you help me?

First, using the Bayern Ticket for 18 Euro (1 person) or 26 Euro for up to 5 persons for the whole day is hard to beat, even if there were coaches. But, as the rule of thumb in Germany, wherever there is a train connection there is no coach/bus parallel to the route.
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:15 AM

agree with altamiro.
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:04 AM

You cannot beat the Bayern Karte for low price. There are some restrictions on when you can leave and on which trains you can ride. Salzburg is served from Munich by the Deutsche Bahn, so it is included in the validity area of the Bayern Karte.

We bought one one year and rode to Salzburg on a slow train, but I think the delay was like 30 minutes.

Also there are restrictions on how early you can leave. As I recall, the departure time during the week was 9 am.

But price/economy is good because the ticket is valid for several hours after you buy it.
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:15 AM

>But price/economy is good because the ticket is valid for several hours after you buy it.

Actually for the whole day, in all of Bavaria. On a weekend there is no 9am restriction. Even on a weekday, taking a train that departs say 8:45 and buying a single ticket till the first station this train arrives at after 9am is going to save a lot of money and time.
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I could not find anything in English on the Bayern ticket.

Just in case you can read German, I included the German text.
In case you cannot, here is my amateur translation. I am sure there are some pros out there who can do it better, but just in case none of them are looking, here is my attempt.

When is the Bayern Ticket and Bayern Ticket Single valid?
They are valid for one day. Monday through Friday they are valid from 9 am until 3 am the following day.
On Saturdays and Sundays and Bavarian legal holidays they are valid from 12 midnight until 3 the following morning for many trips.

Tickets are valid for single travelers or for groups up to 5 people.

How much do tickets cost? Tickets for groups bought from a ticket machine cost €25. If you buy from the ticket window, the cost is €2 higher.

Single tickets are €18, or €2 more if you buy from the ticket window.

I might add that the tickets are good on these trains: IRE,RE,RB und S-Bahn
That rules out the IC, EC and ICE trains, which are the express trains.

The end result is that you travel more slowly, but for less money particularly if the group is as large as 5 people, or if it is a large family group of parents and children.

Here is the German text.

Wann gelten Bayern-Ticket und Bayern-Ticket Single?
Sie gelten einen Tag, und zwar montags bis freitags von 9.00 Uhr bis 3.00 Uhr des Folgetages. An Samstagen, Sonntagen und den in ganz Bayern gültigen gesetzlichen Feiertagen sogar von 0.00 Uhr bis 3.00 Uhr des Folgetages für beliebig viele Fahrten.

Bayern-Ticket und Bayern-Ticket Single wer darf mit?

* Das Bayern-Ticket gilt wahlweise für Einzelreisende
* Gruppen bis zu fünf Personen

Was kosten die Bayern-Tickets?
Das Bayern-Ticket gibt es für 25,- EUR an Automaten und Fahrkarten-Shop in unserem Fahrkarten-Shop sowie für 2,- EUR mehr auch in den DB Reisezentren und DB Agenturen. Das Bayern-Ticket Single und das Bayern-Ticket Nacht gibt es für je 18,- EUR an Automaten und im Internet sowie für je 2,- EUR mehr auch in den DB Reisezentren und DB Agenturen.
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:01 AM
MaureenB

I also recommend the Bayern Pass. It is cheap, and so convenient. No need to buy it in advance. Just go to the train station. Be sure to take a print-out of the return train schedule, so you don't mis the last train from Salzburg back to Munich. It is about a two-hour train ride and very pleasant way to go.

Jun 15th, 2006, 07:13 PM

The absolute latest train at a reasonable time from Salzburg back to Munich leaves at 21:18, virtually midnight, and arrives in Munich at 23:13. There is a previous departure at 20:13 for a 2 hour, 5 minute journey.

There are faster trains, an IC and an EC, but the Bayern Ticket prohibits your taking these unless you pay extra, which defeats the purpose of the cheap ticket.

Jun 15th, 2006, 07:39 PM

I just realized that no one has given you the Deutsche Bahn website:
http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en

There is a dropdown box in the upper right corner for different languages.
Dutch, English, German, Italian, French, and Spanish are included.

You can get ticket prices, timetables, and, more importantly for the Bayern Ticket, the type of train, e.g. is it an IC or an RB?