Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trenitalia site--where do I find the available seat map?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Is there a diagram on the site for "seeing" which seats we have?

Last year when I booked, after I selected the train, the # people, & 1st class, there was an auto displayed diagram of 4 seats (2 facing forward, 2 facing backward) & I selected 2 facing forward & 1 facing backward on the aisle.

Today, I did not get the diagram & could not find it. So, I was auto assigned seats 41, 42, & 44. My last year's notes = "even #s faced forward from Venice to Rome", so if that holds true this year, we're doing good. But I don't know if 41 is aisle or window.

It's not going to make or break the trip, but just wondered & would be nice to know for next time hopefully there will be a next time!

Julie
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Download this:

downloads.raileurope.com/pdf/2005_usa_version/premier_trains/es_italy_product_description.pdf

If this is on the main Naples - Rome - Florence - Milan/Venice route, you'll be on the ES500, which is on Page 4.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:02 PM
J62

Trains from Venice to Rome change direction in Florence, so if you start out facing forward you be facing backward for the final 1/4 of the journey. (through Tuscany)
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

J62, that's real interesting! Now that you mention it, I remember changing directions in Florence. I thought we were going back the way we came & asked about it!

rkkwan, page 4 shows that we are NOT sitting together in a 4 seat configuration like last year! That is not good!

Anyone know how I go about SELECTING our seat assignments? Seems strange I could do that last year on the website, but not this year!

Thanks, Julie
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM

You can no longer choose your seats. You can only specify window or aisle and the computer assigns the seats.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM

You never choose your own seats. You only "request" the type of seats with that little diagram.

Anyways, you have two people sitting on one side of the aisle (41 and 42), and another sitting across (44). After you board the train, just ask the other persons if they want to switch. Unless those three other people are traveling together, I don't see why two of them won't switch with you so 3 of you can be on the same side.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Well, SusanP, that's a bummer that we can't choose our own seats any more!

rkkwan, something is wrong here. I am reading from my ticketless tickets -
#9469, 1st class, COACH 3, seats 42, 41, 44. On page 4, ETR 500, 1st class, coach 3, NO 41 or 42!!!! Oh-oh. Someones are sitting on top of the train!!?

Help! Julie

do you think the 2 sitting off to the side are facing each other or back to back? Wouldn't like back to back - not good for chatting.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Since my seat #s are not on the chart, do you think I should call Trenitalia?

If after I talk with DH & DS, they want the 4 seat config we had last year, do you think calling Trenitalia would result in a seat change?

Or, do they have an onsite customer service that I can email?

Thanks again, Julie
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Don't worry. That downloadable chart is pretty old, and from RailEurope. Not from Trenitalia. It's just for reference.

You will have your seat, and it'll be like the other cars. 41 and 42 on one side, 43 to 46 on the other.

Stop letting small things like this bug you. You'll all be fine on the train.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan, you sound like my husband & son! While greatly appreciating that I do all the work, they laughingly ask me from time to time - "Are you micro-managing this trip?" Luckily, I have good humor & am not sensitive.

I waited up just to see if you would answer. Glad you did - now I'm no longer concerned & can go to bed!

You are correct. I'm sure when I discuss this tomorrow with hubby & son (hubby is snoozing in bed right now), they will say, "Those seats are fine! After all, we'll be in Italy!" Sometimes, I think that is all that is important to them - everything else on the trip is great!

You are such a big help on this forum. Thanks again, Julie
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:17 PM

You can hubby can have 41 and 42. Your son can have 44, next to that hot Italian girl in 46.