***Trenitalia- Inaccurate seating arrangement ***

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone guide me through? Just purchased train tickets (2pax) from Florence to Venice via the website, I selected seats 8C & 8D (frontal seats - facing upward), when I received the confirmation email, it indicates 7C & 7D , which are facing backward! I have a tendency of having dizziness and migraine if I have backward seating, I tried to change online but there isn't any option, can anyone tell me how I can get this fixed? If I need to email Trenitalia, what should the email be? Any charges?

Thanks!
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 03:23 AM

Maybe the seats you asked for weren't available?

Go to a ticket window in the station when you arrive in Florence. The staff there have been very helpful when I have had a problem despite limited English on their side and very limited Italian on mine.

Do not even breathe the idea that any modern country would allow seat changes from 4000 miles away. I assure you that it will not go anywhere toward solving your problem.

Meanwhile, don't obsess.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

The seats were available upon booking, or else I wouldn't be able to click on it and the seats changed from green to red.

If they are kind enough to assist, the seat change can be done via email and I believe the distance will not be an issue.

By any chance, do you know what's the email address for Trenitalia ?
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 04:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It doesn't matter which direction seats you pick because you don't know which direction the train will be heading. Trains pull into stations and back out. There is no way to determine that in advance from an online seat diagram.

I imagine someone else was booking tickets at the same time you did and completed the process faster so your selection was no longer available.

I've never felt a sense of traveling direction. Most of the seats on these trains are four seats facing four seats with a shared table in between.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ssainterno.jpg
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

I went back and check, 8C & 8D are still available, anyway thanks for the info about the train, as suggested by Ackislander, perhaps I can approach the staff for help upon arrival.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 05:15 AM

I don't speak a word of Italian, and I have had an awful time trying to find any train personnel who speak English. Certain people on this forum claim that train stations in Italy have a piece of paper that shows train/track info for the day, and every Trenitalia person I asked either shakes their head no or doesn't understand a word I said, even at the customer service counter.

I don't like driving backwards either, but there's absolutely NO WAY to avoid it on the trains that go from Florence to Venice. No matter what seat you pick on the internet, the car at some point in your journey is bound to go backwards. Trains don't travel in one clean line. To enter and exit some cities, they have to exit the main track.

The same forward-facing seat entering Venice will be a backward-facing seat on exit, because Venice is the end of the track.

You can try to explain your issue to a Trenitalia employee, but you will be met with crossed eyes. There's no way to accommodate you. If you're lucky, someone may advise you to take a plane.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 05:24 AM

For others reading this post with a fear of traveling backwards, if only one of you have this problem, one way to solve this with certainty is to book face-to-face seats. One of the seat ALWAYS faces forward.

However, my wife has this "problem", but now realizes after numerous trips to Europe, is that the fear came from riding frequent stop-and-go and turn around city buses. She inferred the same fear to high speed trains, which was unfounded. These trains don't do stops and goes, don't toss you around at curves, and you can't even focus on scenes flying by. If you don't or can't look outside, you can't even tell which direction these trains are going.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 06:18 AM

A case of overplanning here..

Go to the station and/or ask in the train if people are ok to exchange seats or go and seat on other seats - trains are rarely totally full (except the one I was on this morning )

Have good trip.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 07:21 AM

It doesn't matter which direction seats you pick because you don't know which direction the train will be heading. Trains pull into stations and back out.>

kybourbon gives good advice, as always!

Like in say Bologna perhaps it is a dead-end station (not sure just an example) - so train will reverse direction - Greg's solution is good - get seats facing each other then you will always have one seat going in one direction.

In Florence itself trains go into the dead-end terminus and then go out the other direction.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 07:39 AM

Trains don't reverse direction between Florence and Venice, but KyBourbon is correct in saying that you can't tell which way a seat will be facing from the diagram on the website, because it will have reversed in Rome and Florence if it started in Naples.

I don't know anyone who has ever been bothered by riding backwards on a high-speed train. As Greg says, it's a very different experience from riding in a bus or taxi.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 07:49 AM

Wesley, there are large printed schedules in every train station, labeled "Arrivi" for arriving trains and "Partenze" for departing trains. However, they don't have the information for the day. They have the <b>usual</b> track number. No printed sheet could have accurate last-minute information, even if it were printed that very morning. Sometimes the tracks need to be changed, if, for example, a train on track 7 is running late, the train that was supposed to arrive after the late train may be moved to another track to keep things flowing smoothly.

There are electronic monitors that display the latest information. The printed schedules are useful for giving you an idea of where you should hang around waiting for the track to be announced. They also show the intermediate stations, which is helpful so you can see the stop before yours, and know when to start putting away your laptop. If you know the geography of Italy fairly well, and haven't already bought your tickets, you can use the printed schedules to see if there's a train going your way that makes fewer stops. The printed schedules and the electronic terminals show the final destination of the train, not necessarily the station you're going to. You need to refer to the time of departure and the train number to find the train for which you have bought a ticket.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 08:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Another issue -- I know you said you prefer to face forward because of dizziness/migraines. I tend to prefer facing front as well. But NOT on high speed trains. I find that the scenery racing at me at those speeds can be disconcerting. I have discovered that on fast trains (I'd never been on one till I started visiting Europe), facing to the rear lets my eyes adjust to the view out the window easier. The view receding seems better than it rushing at me.

So front facing might not be the best option (unless you already have experience w/ this and know what works for you)
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 09:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>there are large printed schedules in every train station, labeled "Arrivi" for arriving trains and "Partenze" for departing trains. However, they don't have the information for the day. They have the usual track number.<<<

Yes, as bvlenci points out, certain trains tend to have certain tracks where they should be departing. You can't be 100% certain until a track is announced on the monitor though. Last minute problems can cause a change of track.

I would do as Greg suggests and book seats facing each other. On the Trenitalia seat diagrams, the tables are denoted by a gray oblong.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 09:58 AM

At congested stations like Florence SMN it is not unusual IME of platform changes due to late arriving trains schedules perhaps for the same platform. You can usually tell when a last-minute track change takes place when all the folks waiting for the train en masse make a mad dash for the new platform - I usually just follow the herd.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 10:39 AM

I've only once experienced a track change (in Bologna) after the track had already been announced. It's happened to me a lot less often than gate changes at airports.

A change from the usual track is fairly common, though. Most Italians don't go to the track until an announcement has been made, either on the monitor or on the PA system (if you can understand it).
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 01:04 PM

The simplest solution is to ask someone on the train to switch seats with you. Even if you don't speak Italian, it is likely someone will, and even if not, you can usually make your "problema" understood. Look up a few phrases and words on Google -- like "face forward" and "nausea" and "big headache". If it turns out you feel worse facing forward, ask to change again or just go find another seat on your own.

For those who have never heard of anyone feeling ill on the high-speed trains riding backwards (or forwards), I myself often feel uncomfortable (nausea, or headaches) on the hour-long Milan-Bologna hop when the train hits its highest speed and sustains it for more than half an hour. So now you know somebody.

Anyway, it's silly to tell somebody who has this any kind of personal reaction like this that "I never felt that" or "I don't know anybody who felt that."

Finally, I am in and out of Bologna often as much as a dozen times a year, and there are often track changes announced at the last minute.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 01:53 PM

sandra - is Bolonga a deadend terminus or a station where trains go straight thru - if I recall it's the latter so trains will not switch directions en route Florence to Venice - the fastest trains that is.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the details again guys, appreciate that, i will try to reach there earlier to sort the things out.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 05:44 AM

>>there are large printed schedules in every train station, labeled "Arrivi" for arriving trains and "Partenze" for departing trains.<<

Now the "printed" schedules are "large," which suggest they're poster size, possibly mounted, possibly only one, hanging somewhere inside the very large train stations. What fun it is to search a large, busy train station, with all your bags on your back, looking for printed info that doesn't seem to exist or is very difficult to find. I've asked customer service at three major train stations in Italy where to find this "printed" information, and all I got are shrugging shoulders, crossed eyes, and heads that roll no.

On previous reading, I got the impression that "printed" meant a standard piece of paper folded in three, like numerous schedules and brochures. No matter. With luggage in tow, I've decided to stop searching for this printed info. The information on it is not worth the trouble to find. Knowing the "usual" track for a specific train doesn't make you a smarter, more efficient traveler unless you can hear and understand the announcements.

Like 99.99% of train users, I've decided to travel with less stress, and wait for the track info to appear on the board before I proceed to a track. That way, if a track change occurred, I won't know any difference. I'll go where the board tells me to go. Thanks anyway.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 06:40 AM

Bologna is a thru station.

The "poster sized" schedules are often on yellow paper, about 3' x 4' and are mounted behind glass in a freestanding metal display frame near the end of a track near the middle of the station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -