Trenitalia EuroStar Carraige Number

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to book seats in advance on the www.trenitalia.it website for a EuroStarAV from Rome to Naples and then on regular EuroStars from Naples to Florence and Florence to Venice. I've decided to pay the bit extra for 1st class even though 2nd if very nice, but I want to make certain I get non-smoking. There does not seem to be a choice for that, though they do ask you what Carraige number and Seat number.

I've not been able to find any maps of the trenitalia trains. Which carraige and seat number should I ask for to get non-smoking. Note, also, on the AV train, I'm booking 4 seats on their 2-1 deal. I have to do this in two separate transactions, and I want to get the seats near each other. Should I do this by requesting the same seats for each order? What is a good seat number in the middle of the train car?

Thanks for any help! I'd call trenitalia, but there is no number from the US, and I've not gotten a response to an email. -John
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:07 AM

All Italian trains are non-smoking.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Almost all Italian trains are non-smoking - i believe the EC trains running between Italy and Austria/Germany allow smoking or at least were the last ones. They may not now - many Italian smokers were reportedly taking these trains for Italian portions since they could smoke.
But this may have changed, hopefully, as nearly all trains in Europe are now non-smoking.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:43 AM
ira

Hi jg,

As GH says, all trains are non smoking.

You buy one pair of tickets.

You will get a confirmation showing carriage and seat numbers.

You then book your next 2 tickets and fill in the number where it says "Seat near to".

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:46 AM
ira

PS,

For your Naples/Florence trip, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy 2-4-1 from Naples to Rome and then regular ES* tickets from Rome to Florence?

All of the trains go via Rome.

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, and especially Ira. Your solution is so obvious once I read it that I feel kind of dumb.

Also, I have considered booking the two tickets. I haven't priced it yet like that, but given that we'll have luggage, having a single seat all the way (which would not be guaranteed booking two trains vs. the one), is probably worth the extra $ if it's not too much.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

I just checked, and it is $62 to book a single ES* train from Naples to Florence (it stops in Rome, but is the same train). Booking the 2for1 AV train is $21.50 (per person) to Rome, and then it is $47 on a ES* to Florence. That's $68.50. This is booking a "Standard", not "Flexi" 1st class ticket. So the one stop direct train is cheaper. (However booking the two trains is cheaper than directly booking the two train combo, which comes in at $90). All prices in Euros.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Maybe someone can help me with the seat numbers on the ES* trains in Italy. It looks like there is a "row" number and then a 1-6 after that in 1st class. Are 1 and 2 facing seats that are alone on one side of the aisle, then 3 and 4 facing on the other side of the aisle, and 5 and 6 facing on the other window, next to 3 and 4? Thanks
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:07 AM

We took this trip 2nd class it was fine.