Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you stand another Italy train question?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this has been answered but I've searched until my eyes are crossed.

Trying to buy train tickets thru Trenitalia from Rome to Florence on one of the fast trains for April 6.

1.Under the "buy" column, it says "No". Does this mean it's too early or it's sold out?

2. Under "details" it says that reservations must be made in Italy. I know I read here that with Trenitalia you got your seat reservation when you purchased your ticket. Did I dream that?

What is the difference between the ES train and the AV? They both have the same descriptions.

Thanks.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM

1. It only says No for regional trains; you can't buy tickets for most regional trains on line.

2. It's a bad translation. What they mean is that you have to have a seat reservation. On ES and AV trains, seat reservations are included in the fare.

3. The AV trains are the special high-speed trains, but since only the Naples-Rome high-speed track is operational, for Rome-Florence it uses the same track as the ES, goes at the same speed and should cost the same.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

So to clarify, Rome to Florence would be considered regional? Sorry if I sound confused....I stay that way.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM

No, Rome-Florence is NOT regional. If there's an R in the same column where you also see ES and AV, it's a regional, i.e., a *slow* train.

You say you want a fast train; why are you focusing on the one that is slowest?

Choose an ES or an AV train.

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:41 PM
J62

No, the high speed trains (ES or AV) from Rome to Florence are not regional. Those trains that show an R are regional - travel time will be about 3+ hrs, vs 1.5hrs for the ES/AV trains.

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Zerlina, I was not fousing on the one that was the slowest. I knew that the AV and the ES were the fast trains. The travel time was clearly indicated.

For some reason <b>ALL</b> the trains for that day had NO in the buy area. That's why I was not understanding your reply.

Just now, when I re-entered all the information and started over, there is a shopping cart under the fast trains and a NO under the first slower train in the time slot I had selected.

Obviously, since it now shows a cart icon under the ES and AV trains, there must have been a glitch or either I put the wrong date in. Which is entirely possible.

Thank you for your help.

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Hi Linda, personally I hate the trenitalia website! I was trying to look a train route and time for a Fodorite yesterday and the stupid website was so annoying I finally clicked off, lol. Are you arriving in Rome and immediately training to Florence or will you be in Rome a couple of days before taking the train to Florence? If you will be in Rome for a day or two personally I would just buy the tickets when in Rome. Best regards.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

We'll be in Rome for 3 days before going on to Florence. We would be travelling on a Sunday and I was afraid that might be a busy day for train travel. Maybe not?

I agree the web site is frustrating. I might just take your advice and wait until we get there.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Linda: Sunday is not the busiest day, and that train route is really much more frequented by business people, commuters, etc. I usually find that we tourists are the smallest number of riders on a train in Europe.

Like LoveItaly, I hate the Trenitalia English website, or even the Italian one. It really wasn't made for visitors from other countries, nor, as we have been reminded here, should it be. But that doesn't make it any less of a PIA.

If you are concerned about your tickets, you can keep trying to buy them from home. There are a couple of threads that are helpful, but only if the site complies.

I am probably going to get the tickets I need upon arrival in Rome. You can get train tickets for no fee at any travel agency in Rome (or any other Italian city) that displays the Trenitalia logo. No problem.

Of, if you are taking the Leonardo Express, you can buy the tickets from the ticket seller at FCO. Have a print out of the train you want, and the number of tickets, as that ticket seller can be busy. But most ticket windows at most stations are busy. And slow.