Search

Trenitalia Announces First Gender-Based Promotion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM
GAC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trenitalia Announces First Gender-Based Promotion

In what I believe the be a ground-breaking development, Trenitalia has, for the first time, announced a new promotion where benefits are based on gender:

The new promotion comes in two "flavors":

1. "SABATO ROSA" where, only on SATURDAYS in OCTOBER 2010, two passengers travel for the price of one (two for one), provided that at least one of the two passengers is a woman over the age of 12.

Conditions:

(i) valid for first and second class seats on all Trenitalia trains in Italy, excluding the "regionale" trains;

(ii) not valid for sleeping accommodations;

(iii) CAPACITY CONTROLLED

(iv) must be purchased no later than midnight of the day before travel;

(v) not combinable with other discounts (including discounts for kids);

(vi) on sale ONLY at rail station ticket windows and at authorized travel agencies in Italy (NOT available on the web);

(vii) NO changes of any kind, and NO refunds, allowed.

2. "PROMO ROSA" where, ANY DAY in October 2010, on all Trenitalia trains in Italy, excluding the "regionale" trains, women over the age of 12 travel free under the "Familia" promotional plan (groups of 3-5 persons). Men over the age of 12 travel at a 20% discount, children (either gender) between 4 and 12 at a 50% discount, and toddlers under 4 travel free.

Conditions: same as those for the "familia" plan

QUESTION: What do you think about this "gender based" promotion???

NOTE: This brand-new promotion has not yet been translated into English. The information is available, in English, on this website! Trenitalia states that the promotion is designed to support women's health.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 11:41 AM

oh, for dog's sake!!
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM

It's kind of strange and I think is sexist. Because I can only presume the purpose to avoid giving discounts to businesspeople, and thus they are assuming only men are traveling on business? well, may be true in Italy, but I doubt it. But then again, it is for Saturdays so I really don't grasp the concept. It can't be just for families, as two women traveling together would qualify, but not two men. So it's not just to avoid young people traveling as friends.

I think in the US there are been legal challenges to promotions based on sex, but I'm not sure if they've been upheld or not (usually having to do with bars where some night is ladies night).
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM

I'm assuming it's meant to be an awareness promotion for breast cancer month, which is October. Unless I've lost my mind, "rosa" is "pink" in Italian.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM

I think you may be onto something persimmondeb.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was beginning to wonder how riding a train would be good for my health...
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM

yeah, I gathered there was some tie-in for a promotion, but someone at Trenitalia still figured this was some marketing concept that would attract business in a way they wanted. So they still decided they needed more female business for some reason, no marketing person does things like this without thinking of the target audience and they should have a reason. Are they going to do a prostate cancer promotion next?
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 02:48 PM
GAC
Original Poster

If you read Italian, here is more information about this new promotion, which was launched today ("Frecciarosa Day"):

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/cms...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM

No need to bash Trenitalia with made-up suspicions and politically correct nonsense, if you can't even be bothered to read the actual announcements!

This is part of a much bigger "Month of the Woman" (my term) campaign.

It would be inappropriate to attack Trenitalia for <i>sexism</i> and such motives.

Before you jump to conclusions and shoot from the hip:

Read the website and read the links to government entities and other entities chiming it, then you see how Trenitalia is just doing its bit (although a highly visible bit - they paint entire trains pink for that month!) as part of an overall effort that includes the rights and welfare of women, women in the workforce, women prisoners etc.

The sentence <i>...con al centro una campagna di comunicazione e sensibilizzazione sui temi della salute, dei diritti e della sicurezza delle donne, con il sostegno e la collaborazione di Ministeri e Associazioni.</i> gives you an idea, loosely translated (by me, not official):

<i>...at the center of a campaign of communication and awareness in terms of women's health, women's rights and women's safety, with the support and cooperation of Government ministries and Associations...</i>

Some of those entities: The Ministry of the Interior and the State Police, The Department of Labor and Social Politics, The Councillor for Equal Rights, The Minister for Culture, the minister for Public Administration...

on and on, all the heavyweights - making Trenitalia looking like a bit player in this.

So enjoy the discounts if you can while they last, and tip your hat to women all over!
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 03:58 PM
GAC
Original Poster

All true, as is the fact that a mother/daughter (or mother/son) team qualifies for the discount on Saturday, whereas a father/daughter-under 12 (or father/son) does not (even if the man is a single parent)! Also, two women travelling together, but not two men, qualify for the discount. No need to become alarmist, yet it's not the optimal outcome, in my opinion. Trenitalia has its heart in the right place, but the promotion could have been thought-out better. It's also a way for Trenitalia to deflect attention away from longstanding complaints (especially from women) about cleanliness on trains.