Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Monaco from the Cinque Terra??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to be in the Cinque Terra for what it seems may be a few too many days, so my question is how unrealistic is it for me to consider getting over to Monaco for a day trip? Possibly by car or train?
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 06:08 PM

I'm just taking a stab at this...it's probably going to take you about three hours by train each way. If someone can confirm this timeframe, that's six hours traveling to-and-fro.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 01:11 AM

Nikkiz - It's not really viable by train - the minimum journey time is 4.5 - 5 hours each way.

Unless you want to travel overnight ...

Steve
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 01:57 AM

Just a suggestion - There are some lovely coastal towns on the same train line as the cinque terre towns, like Sestri Levante and Santa Maria Liguria. They have lovely views with palm trees and mountains (right now some are snow-capped), great shops and small attractions like cathedrals and gardens. You can stop in several towns and it would be an easy day trip.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thxs all for the replies...So am I right in assuming driving to Monaco is out of the question?
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Well, if you can organise a car, driving's a doddle. It's about 130 miles each way, usually taking a bit over two hours by motorway as there often seem to be traffic problems. Or you might want to drive on some of the pre-motorway corniches.

A great drive, though Monaco is hardly the most interesting place in Europe to visit. But taking different roads can make for a truly exhilarating day.

I've done it in reverse a few times, trying to get some edible food during Riviera holidays.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 10:15 AM

I have done the drive to and from and depending on how agressive you like to drive, you can absolutely fly on the A12, A7 and A10. I'm a leadfoot so doing the trip at an average of 170 wasn't a problem. Monaco is very cool and worth the trip if you think you'll not have a chance to see it again.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

This is all about getting out and driving in parts yet to be driven--My bro. has been to Monaco(he's the one going on the trip)he wants to take his fiancee and make a day of it!

Buongiorno, which of those roads mentioned is the quickest? and which is mainly coast?

Thanks again for the replies!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 11:58 AM

The roads I mentioned are all limited access highways with the longest stretch you'll be on being the A10 which you pick up around Genoa/Savona. They essentially all run along the coast but not necessarily right on the water. The roads I gave you are really in order of how you would take them depending on where you start from you'll likely get on the A12 heading for Genoa/Savona where you'll pick up the A7 for a short distance that will lead you to the A10 and you'll cruise through Italy, go through the French town of Menton and right into Monaco. Monaco is really pretty cool driving in as it's this huge bowl built into the cliffs.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

They will be starting from Vernazza. Thank you for the info. I think they are going to give it a go--The drive into Monaco itself sounds brilliant! Now if I could only figue out a way to squeeze into their suitcase ;-)