Search

Cinque Terre

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Paci

Cinque Terre

I posted a similar entry in the the general Europe category and really wanted to post this on this post so if you are reading this twice, I apologize. Let's try again... Is it possible to do a day trip from Florence to Cinque Terre with a private driver. We really want to see this area but do not want to keep switching hotels. We will be based out of Florence and are already taking a side trip to Siena, Lucca, Orvieto and possibly San Gimignano.

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tt
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:04 AM

Doable but not easy. Probably 5 hours total driving time--depending on location--and expensive. Your call !
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:06 AM

The Cinque Terre zone is comprised of five towns. The probability of doing any worthwhile visiting in one day is dependent on how many of the towns you wish to visit and how many hours you can dedicate to the area (not considering the possible 5+ hours of commuting to and from Florence). It is not at all practical to drive from one town to the next, the train is the best option - or have the driver wait at the most easily accessible town while you transit between towns by train or ferry. And avoid at all costs going on a weekend.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Paci

Is it worth it to do two towns - hike from one to the other going east to west. My travel agent, who has never let me down, says this is possible but it will be a long day. That does not bother us.

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Paci: I would not waste my money hiring a driver. Take a train from Florence to Monterosso al mare (they all usually stop in La Spezia first, then connect with a local, 5-digit train to go to the CT towns.) You could see Monterosso, then take a local train down to Vernazza, Corniglia, then walk from Manarola to Riomaggiore (on the Via Dell'Amore) and then train from there back to Florence. So to answer your most recent question, it is possible to walk from 1 town to the next (Manarola to Riomaggiore) - that is the easiest stretch by far.

The CT is beautiful in all its ruggedess and resembles Big Sur in California. Despite the tourism in the area, it is well-worth a visit and is do-able in a day if you get an early start.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:49 PM

yes, yes, yes it is worth it!!! Don't miss out on the Cinque Terre!

My favorite town is Vernazza. There is a beautiful and famous 15 minute stroll along the coast called the Via del Amour between Riomaggiore and Manarola (the bottom two towns).

I'd have your driver drop you in Vernazza, then take the bus down from the car lot to the town. Spend a couple hours on the promenade and in the shops. Then hop on the train and go all the way down to Riomaggiore. Do the Via del Amore walk to Manarola. Take a little time to explore both towns.
From Manarola, hop on a train and go to the northernmost town (and the biggest) - Monterosso al Mare. Monterosso has the best beach (real sand) and some neat wine/ceramics/art/olive oil shops. Your driver can easily pick you up in Monterosso as it is the only cities cars can actually drive in.

This lets you see 4 out of the 5 towns. The one you are missing - Corniglia - is about a 10 minute hike up a steep hill from the train station. It does offer pretty views of the sea and cheap wine, but to me at least, it is the one village I would be able to leave out if needed.

Hope you enjoy your trip to the Cinque Terre, it's a magical area!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Paci

Huitres: Thank you so much for your response. Without trying to sound obnoxious, we thought that by hiring a driver, we would get to see more and be less structured. We are spoiling ourselves on this trip because it is our 30th anniversary and my 51st BD. What if we started in the first town, most eastern, I believe Riomaggiore, and going to Manarola and then continuing and maybe stopping at Corniglia. We want to hike from town to town and meet up with the driver or possibly do driver/guide combo. I realize we may not be able to get through all five towns but would this be worthwhile? Can you do Siena, San Gimignano and Chianti in one day? Thanks a lot.

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Hello again

Happy Anniversary! I have been married one month and 3 days and it sure is wonderful to hear people say they have been married 30 years

If I am remembering correctly, the hike between Manarola and Corniglia takes about 75 minutes and is moderate in difficulty. The trail is good, it's just steep at times.

So you could certainly start in Riomaggiore and do the Via Dell Amore walk to Manarola (15 minutes). Then hike from Manarola to Corniglia (75 minutes).

From Corniglia, if you have time, try to catch a train up to Vernazza for a quick 20 minute look at the medieval castle and square/promenade.
Monterosso is just another 4-5 minute train ride up and from the free public beach you can see all of the other 4 towns hugging the coast. It's spectacular and makes for an excellent photograph!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:13 PM

oh yeah, I forgot to post that the train ride connecting all 5 towns takes about 30 minutes. They run regularly in the summers and schedules are easy to find
You can also see all 5 towns by boat, but I believe these stop running around 5pm. Boat is slower, more expensive, but definitely more scenic
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:16 PM

We just got back from Vernazzo and Manorolo. I do not think ALL five of the towns are accessible by car. I know of some people that we met were hiking from one town to the next on foot and staying in a different village each night. They are beautiful, and we did two in one day. It is worth it. Vernazzo is very very beautiful. I'd take the train though, get it at La Spezia. It only take a few minutes and is very cheap. You can hop on and off at most of the villages from the train. You can also take a boat from the dock down in La Spezia (we couldn't because the seas were too rough that day - no boats running) and it stops at all of the villages. I am told that is a very nice way to see things.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:26 PM

As a further option, Rapallo and Portofino area is of course only just over 30 minutes away by rail also. There is a cable car in Rapallo that takes you up 600 metres above sea level to a Sanctuary called Montallegro. I am told that the walk from there to Chiavari along the ridge is absolutely outstanding. Similarly there are boats that go in and out of Portofino along the coast to link with the CT towns. Another plug for www.fishnet.it and the kind lady who has put so much effort into developing the links.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Paci

Everyone and a special thank you to TexasAggie for your responses. You have all been very helpful. It is really nice when someone tries to see the positive and be as helpful as all of you have been.

TexasAggie, you seem very knowledgeable and helpful. I have read other posts of yours and you have given some great advice. Thanks, again.