Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Possible to do a day trip to Cinque Terre from Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if it's possible to get there see something/anything and get back to Florence. Trying to reduce changes in hotels over the trip. Thanks
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 08:56 AM

No. The experience of CT is about wandering through the towns and hiking/training between them. I think it's worth at least one night in this national park area.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 08:59 AM

It's probably possible to get there, stay a few hours and get back to Florence in one day but it wouldn't be worth it. CT is a place to relax from your otherwise hectic vacation. If you don't want or need to slow down there, it's better to skip it.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 09:02 AM

The train from Florence to La Spezia will take 2-2.5 hours. Form there you take the local train to the Cinque Terre. So think about 3 hours in each direction. If that sounds reasonable to you, then give it a try.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 08:09 PM

I took a wonderful minibus excursion to the Cinque Terre from Florence in October,2008. I knew that it would just provide an overview and that I would probably return for a longer visit in the future. But I had wanted to see the Cinque Terre for years, and finally I had a way to at least feast my eyes on the towns.

Because the 8 person tour moved through the towns by walking, boat and car we comfortably spent some time in all the towns except Monteroso. I am so very glad that I took this tour. Even if I don't get back for a few years, I have "scratched the itch" of longing to see the Cinque Terre.

The company I used is called "Adventure Bellissime" and offers tours from several Italian cities. www.tours-italy.com
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM

We made a similar trip like Martha did. However, we did it from Milano.
We had not the possibility to spend more than one day there and we wanted very much to see CQ. We took an organized tour, and in this way we spent very efficient our time. We were very glad with this excursion, it gave us an idea about this beautiful place.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 01:21 PM

In the past I have said no to this question many times, but there is a newer tour (via bus) that people seem to be pretty pleased with. I have not done it myself (this tour) but it does sound pretty good - especially if you are a tour type of person. There is more about it on the Florence Journal blog - http://www.florence-journal.com/flor...-florence.html
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM

If you are coming at the peak of summer, be aware that by the time you get to le Cinque Terre, the hottest part of the day will be kicking in. Walking around the towns means steep climbing, even if you don't hike.

Also be aware that if you book a tour in advance, and it rains that day, le Cinque Terre is not very interesting in the rain and you may not get your money back. (Ask!)

You can take a 2 hour train ride to La Spezia, and from there catch a taxi to either the La Spezia boat dock or a more expensive taxi to the town of Portovenere, and from there take a public ferry boat ride along le Cinque Terre. That might be cheaper than a tour, and cooler too in high summer. But you MUST be sure of the boat schedule before you set out from Florence, and on windy days, you may discover once you get there that the boats aren't running, even if it is sunny.

But otherwise, it's a value call.