Travelling to Krakow: but how?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll be renting a car during our visit to Central Europe, but I'm unsure how to get to Krakow. I'm reluctantly willing to train if need be, but would rather drive. But which rental car companies would permit a 2 day drive into Poland? Or would one need to rent a car in a border city?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We rented in Krakow through Autoeurope and traveled into Slovakia, Hungary and Vienna. I assume that you would be able to travel the opposite direction. Our problem was finding a one way rental, not driving into these Central European countries.

If you haven't already done so, try Autoeurope.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:56 AM
tmh

Where are you coming from? We flew into Krakow and took public tranportation everywhere. Easier than trying to park and maneuver those old streets.

We took a train or bus to the Salt Mines, Zakopane, Czestochowa (the Black Madonna), Auschwitz and Kalwaria Zebrzydowska for the Passion Play (we went at Easter). We stayed across from the train/bus depot so it was easy and safe. We could also walk the town with ease.

Enjoy - it was one of our favorite places.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Most of the majors will now allow cars into Eastern Europe, but sometimes with a surcharge or insurance bump or other paperwork. As mentioned, Auto Europe seems to be more permissive than some. Just shop as you would - using the rental agencies' own websites rather than Expedia etc. as often they don't go into that detail.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:16 AM
rex

Might also be worth your while contacting affordablepoland.com - - I had a quote from them in 2003 (renting in Austria, but taking it into CR and Poland), but ultimately went with AutoEurope (came up with a lower price, and I felt more comfortable with the 24/7 telephone support offered by AutoEurope).

The biggest problem I see is your plan for TWO days' car rental. Hard to get ANYwhere.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Drat! I seem to be having problems communicating lately! Must be geezer dust in the wiring.
We thought we'd cruise around Vienna, Budapest, and environs, then cruise thru SR & CR on the way north. The two days was for Krakow alone, as I'm unaware of much else to see in Poland. As always, I'm more than open to being corrected on this matter. I'm not averse to charades as a form of communication; it's worked elsewhere.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 10:58 AM

You shouldn't have problem driving around in Poland but the drivers are risk takers when it comes to passing you on a two lane road. You can easily spend 2 - 3 days in Krakow - Poland itself would require at least 2 weeks to enjoy it.
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:37 PM

tmh, I'm going to Krakow in October. Do you remember the name of the place at which you stayed that was "across from the train/bus depot so it was easy and safe." I will be busing and taking the train to Zakopane, etc. as well. Many thanks.

Old May 30th, 2005, 12:04 AM

Hello Tomboy, other vistors to Poland,
Don't forget an IDP. Assure that you have an 'insurance green card' if you are driving. Only Krakow? Spend a few hours in Barnes and Nobel selecting a Polish guide book. Best new site in Poland is Lichen. I doubt that there is anything similar in the world. Car rental..try Hertz.
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:59 AM
tmh

Yes - it was Hotel Europejski Krakow. I googled the hotel and found it at least on one page to verify its name and location: travelpoland.com.

Enjoy. Lonely Planet was our guidebook of choice as it shares so much beyond the usual hotel and restaurant data.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Anyone with experience taking bus/coach from Krakow to Vienna?. We don't like the late (3pm) departure of the train and late arrival into Vienna, and haven't been able to find a one-way car rental or airfare under $300pp.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:29 AM

tracy2cents-

I'll be in a similar situation in Sept., except that we're going from Krakow to Bratislava (about an hour from Vienna). We are taking a train departing Krakow at 7 am with 1 stop which gets into Bratislava at 1:08 pm. From there you should find a train or bus into Vienna.

Also try AutoEurope for the car rental. I recently checked into renting a car from Krakow and decided against it because of the expense, however, while you don't say how many people are in your group (you base the price on per person), if there are only 2 people, I believe AutoEurope's rate was less than $600.00 total. Nevertheless, please be advised that they require a 3 day rental.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 07:19 PM

there seems to be a bus connection to Vienna thru Bratislava from Nowy Sacz which is near Krakow

http://www.pks.com.pl/index.php?path.../rozklad_jazdy

http://www.pks.com.pl/index.php?path=kontakt

But it is a a overnight and over 11hrs sitting down...

I would recommand taking a train from Krakow to Vienna (Wien)

Looks like your have 2 direct, with one overnight with sleepers at 22:50 taking around 7hrs and 1 express at 15:25 taking 6hrs both have restaurant cars...

http://rozklad.pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/...3&OK#focus

I would not recommand renting a car while in Krakow, since most of the Old city is closed to traffic anyway - and parkings near by are packed.

As for Braislava best option seems to be a 7am to Katowice with transfer for 08:30 Express from Katowice to Budapest thru Bratislava... arriving at 13:08 in Bratislava...

http://rozklad.pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/...9&OK#focus
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Am I reading the schedule incorrectly...? Isn't there an 8:30am Eurocity train from Katowice to VIENNA?
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 07:50 PM

I do not see any 8:30 from Katowice to Vienna... I see 8:30am from Katowice to Budapest thru Bratislava...

http://rozklad.pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/en

use Katowice / and Wien (for Vienna)

I also searched http://www.intercity.pl/en/main#

and don't see it - possible that maybe we are using different date to search - where schedule between 2 dates is different - so best to search yourself since there are english versions of both sites...
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 08:49 AM

I hope I am reading this correctly, I've been booking so many planes and trains my head is spinning. A 7:00am train from Krakow to Katowice on 8/11...and an 8:30am train from Katowice to Vienna.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Tracy I think that's right but I read the train from Krakow as arriving in Katowice at 8:25 and then departing from Katowice at 8:30 a.m. Seems a bit tight even if that 8:30 train is on the same platform. Don't know how reliable the Polish trains are.