Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eger, Hungary to Krakow, Poland with stops in Kosice and Levoca. Slovakia

Old Feb 8th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to travel through Slovakia to Krakow and stop in Kosice and Levoca in Slovakia. Is there anyway to do this by easy public transport. We can't figure out how to rent a car that will let us drive from one country to another in Eastern Europe. Any ideas, please
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I traveled in Slovakia, including Levoca and Stary Smokovec, mostly by bus, with elektricka train where possible, and a "real" train from Poprad to Bratislava. From Krakow to Zakopane in Poland, and on to Stary Smokovec in Slovakia I used buses. I imagine it will work the other way too. I used the Lonely Planet guide to Eastern Europe.

You can take a train from Eger to Kosice, and onto Poprad. See bahn.de for schedules. Possibly you could rent a car for Slovakia, and take the bus on to Poland from Stary Smokovec or Poprad.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We rented a car (Vienna) thru gemut.com (a US company) that permitted us to drive from there, thru Hungary, into Slovakia, on to Poland, back thru Czech Republic, then Vienna.

Easy driving route, and a rental car gives you latitude to see Spis Castle, wooden churches, etc.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:53 PM

For that area you really could use a rental car. Unclear as to what is your arrival airport.
I have sometimes rented a car at the Krakow Airport and then drove along the city ring road to the south (E40, A4) with a right turn south on the Jakopanka Road, Rte 7 towards Jakopane, Poland.
You can go into Slovakia from there but I usually turn east at Nowy Targ and just east of the town turn south on route 49 on a lovely road into Slovakia.
There is a small delightful town named Zdiar in a lovely setting, low prices, that can be used as a base in the High Tatra area for cities like Poprad, Levoca and Spis.
Krakow is an easy airport to use and the driving is quite easy and the people are lovely. There is no problem crossing borders except for Ukraine.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 01:39 PM

We can't figure out how to rent a car that will let us drive from one country to another in Eastern Europe.

Have you tried www.kemwel.com ? Whatever rental you may find, and it is worthwhile to visit back country areas, keep in mind that if it is returned to a different country there will be stiff cross-border drop-off fees. It's best to work out a round trip when driving through different countries.

Old pictures, but still valid: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...th/4204746086/