Search

Travelling by campervan in France

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2017, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling by campervan in France

Hello everyone !

I just quickly come here to tell you about a great way to travel in France and Europe, and the cheapest as well.

Travelling with a campervan !

Campervan hire in France is not as developped as in Asutralia but the company VAN-IT opened the first campervan rental in France 8 years ago and has a whole range of campers for everyone's need and budget.

From old Volkswagen California T4 campers to brand new Volkswagen California T6.

All equipped with cooking burners, fridge, sink, table, beds for 2 or 4 people, pop top roof to stand in the van and even heat for the winter.

France is quite an expensive country to travel to, and travelling in a camper saves you from paying expensive hôtels, restaurants twice a day and car rental / train.

And you're able to see a lot more of the country when you can go anywhere, anytime in your van.

Not much campervan regulations in France yet, by the way.

Enjoy your trip !
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:03 AM

This feels like an advert, but I'll bite.

There are plenty of campervan regulations in France and plenty of places which no longer allow campers to stop, even for a couple of hours during the day.

That said it is a good way to travel if you like it (I do), and don't want to visit citiies too much, but it is even better in something with onboard facilities so you can take advantage of the camper aires, and France Passion stops without loos and showers.
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:17 AM

well, you have to want a rural holiday because no, you are not going to see more of a country when you are stuck with a campervan if you want to see major cities. You will be stuck out in the suburbs somewhere and commuting in as a tourist which will take time and money. And you won't experience the city cafes and restaurants and life very much, if you are going back to your campervan to cook sausages for dinner. Not to mention most campervan sites aren't right next to a metro stop.
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:23 AM

I take it you don't like the idea, Christina?
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:17 PM

There are actually plenty of camper stops in the centre of cities. Paris has three.
In Amsterdam there is one a free ferry ride away from the centre.
In places like Avignon there are campsites and camper places on the island across the river, and a ferry or a short walk into the centre.
Amboise also has one across the river, and we watched the city turn to gold in the sunset just a short walk from our camper.

Many people make use of these, and of car parks where they are allowed to overnight, and they visit local restaurants for dinner. Many people also carry bikes with them so they can cycle into the centre if they are a little way out.
At around €15-20 a night (up to €40 in Paris) it can't be beaten price wise.
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:14 PM

As hetismij says Regulations about camper and started in earnest 30 years ago in france. We were several times forced to move out of places where we had stopped. By the cops.
In Monaco we were simply not allowed to stop in the Center.
If you stop in campings you pay a not so cheap price.
Highways are more expensive for campers too.
Fuel consumption will be higher.
So the advertisement should take these facts into account.
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:12 AM

Tolls depend on the size of the camper, so needn't be more expensive. We avoid toll roads in France anyway since the getting there is half the fun of a camper holiday.

Fuel consumption is higher, but we manage between 1/10 and 1/11 in ours, including going at 120km when necessary.

We travel out of the peak season, and use discount cards which make staying on campings pretty cheap. Organisations like France Passion and Britstops also mean a few free overnights.

It's just a different style of travel, and not for everyone. Certainly not for most Fodorites.
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

In France they start to put 2m barrier everywhere to avoid people sleeping everywhere but this only a problem for bigger motorhomes.

The purpose of campervans is especially that they are less than 2 m and can go anywhere.

And at the toll, the price is the same as cars since it's considered the same size.

But it's a lot nicer anyway to use small roads and see more of the countryside.

There is a few 1,90m barrier now in some car parks of the very touristic cities, like on the coast but with a campervan it's a lot better to sleep just outside a the city, under a tree, in the middle of the mountain...
Old May 19th, 2017, 04:46 AM

As you say hetismij, you go to campings, you don't stop - like we did 30 years ago - on the market place of a small village.

But yeah, I did a lot of camping van (or more like a small motorhome, we had a toilet and a (very) small shower.

I'd rather sleep under a tent - but it is me. I looked at the site that the ad is about, and definitely not for me, where would I put the kids and the dog ;-)

http://www.van-it.fr/
Old May 19th, 2017, 05:23 AM

We have a small Pössl. Enough room for the two of us and, when we had one, the dog. It has a loo and shower though we never use the shower.
We considered a tent before we bought this but my arthritis affects my movement, and I wasn't sure I could cope in a tent.
It cost a whole lot more than a tent, but we are very happy with it, and use it even in the winter. If house hunting wasn't taking up all our time we'd be away in it now.

I'd rather have a tent than one of those VWs!
Old May 19th, 2017, 07:04 AM

Looks nice in all honesty.