Traveling with children

Search

Traveling with children

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling with children

I will be traveling with children ages 12, 10 and 1. Can anyone give me suggestions as to where to stay in Paris with these three? I know that not all places welcome children. I would love some advice on this! (I will be in London, too, if anyone has advice there as well!)
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:44 AM
rex

Hi... and welcome to the forum.

I see that you are new here (and your posting has already "fallen" to the "second" page with no replies!) - - how did I know that? click on your own name (this is one of the numerous useful tips that Fodors fails to tell you when they send you that first e-mail confirming your registration) - - we'll assume that you have also not taken the time to read the "HELP" (little tiny red letters in the upper lefthand corner) - - another oversight that Fodors fails to recommend to you to do.

Anyhow, you owe it to yourself to take a look there: http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm - - especially http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm#Q6 - - which I have listed below, in excerpt form, for you (my own emphasis added):

=========================

Finally, create a title - make sure it is concise and clearly describes your message (<b>and destination</b>, if applicable) -- and write your message in the space provided

==========================

Thus, when you re-post - - and you really should do that - - be sure and mention &quot;Traveling in Paris...&quot; or even better yet, &quot;Seeking a hotel, traveling with children in <b>Paris and London</b>&quot; in your message header.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I believe there are guidebooks specifically for Kids in Paris (or something like that). I'm not sure if they cover hotels or just activities. You might do a search at amazon.com and see what comes up.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:43 PM

I have traveled with my children all over Europe and never had a hotel not welcome us. You do need to consider that safety codes are different. Hotels will often not allow as many people into a room as in the US. If you make reservations on the phone make sure you tell them how many people you have. It is better to find out that you need two rooms before you arrive.

As far as recommendations there are several chains that you can look at. My favorite is Libretel. I stayed there with my children right by the Musee d'Orsay. It was a great central location. Another part of Paris that is good for kids is by the Parc de Luxembourg.

In London I would stay in the Kensington Park area because it is not as noisy and there is a Park and lots of museums. When I stayed in London with my kids we stayed at a Holiday Inn with no problems.

For general information about traveling in both cities I like Rick Steves books a lot and he gives suggestions about travels with children.

Have fun!

Rhonda
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:57 PM

We stayed here with our 2 boys - they are wonderful with children, make a hot chocolate for breakfast that kids love and the rooms are comfy (although traditionally small as most affordable parisian rooms are),have TVs,quite affordable and you can arrange a room with twin beds next to an adult room: give them the a call.
Familia
11 Rue des Ecoles
75005 Paris
telephone 33-1-43-54-55-27
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM

I don't have recommendation for Paris, but I think you'll be welcome in almost any hotel (exception being fancy B&amp;B types that ward off children by imposing minumum age requirements as in the US), but we found that traveling with our two children in Europe often meant 2 rooms (or 1 pretty crowded one IF the hotel even permitted that) if we stayed in a hotel. Besides the expense, that meant one parent would be in one room with one child and the other parent with the other child --the rooms were NOT connecting. I think you'll find an apartment works better..gives you the option of cereal and milk in the fridge for breakfast, simple meals in the freezer if you or the kids want one and you'll be &quot;together&quot; but not cramped and everyone gets a little more privacy. You can cook too, but I never do! It is usually less than 2 (or even 1 hotel room) in those expensive capital cities. We used the agency &quot;A Place Like Home&quot; for London...except for the fact that the mid-term linen change never happened (which I got a small concession for)...it wasn't a bad arrangement. They'll arrange --you pay for it--for a driver at the airport to take you to meet the apartment greeter too. This is pretty nice and saves you from hunting for an address on your own or schlepping your luggage. (Be sure and mention the size of your party though, so they'll send a mini-van.)
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:25 PM

jenbum,

What is your budget for London and Paris? Thanks!

Also, for activities with kids you might want to look at the books &quot;LONDON WITH KIDS&quot; and &quot;PARIS WITH KIDS&quot;, both of which are published by either Fodor's or Frommers. I found these books quite helpful a few years back when we were planning our kids' first trip to Europe.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:19 PM

I agree with the comments above regarding the HUGE advantage of staying in an apartment. You get space, and the flexibilty to not have to eat out in a restaurant (which, with a one year old might be a bit taxing at times). Also, everybody doenst have to go to bed when the baby does! Also, I have heard lots of stories about people being offered connecting rooms, then when they arrive find the rooms are not connecting, leaving children to roam around corridors on their own.

In London we have used the one in Kensington owned by Ascot properties (I forgot the name: Queensgate something or other). We booked it through Roy at LondonServicedApartments which is on the web.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:29 PM

with children those ages I would not recommend anything but an apartment in either city. There are quad rooms in Paris but they will be pretty small. A nice 1 bedroom apartment w/ a sofa sleeper or daybeds in the living romm, a full kitchen and bath will cost about the same or maybe less than a cramped hotel room.

And in London - a flat is even better because there are so many for rent and rates tend to be cheaper than in Paris.

There are MANY threads on here about apartments in both cities. The search function is not the best but you should still be able to pull up TONS of recommendations.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for being such a &quot;fodor's answer guy&quot; I shall try to post again with more information in my header. And I will take a look at the help and faqs. Yes, I am new here and still trying to figure this all out (as well as book this trip!) Thanks again for the reply. It's nice to know someone cares!

Jen