london and paris with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning one week in london and one week in paris with two kids, ages 8 and 6. We are traveling next april, 2011. This will be their first trip abroad as well as my husbands.
I'm interested in suggestions for family friendly lodging and must-sees for kids... any help with planning would be great. Which neighborhood is best for kids in London and in Paris??
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM

Hi lb8618, in London any central neighbourhood, would be fine. For kids that age, it's nice to be near Hyde Park. South Kensington (somewhere like Queens Gate), near Science Museum, Natural History Museum, near tube station and Hyde Park is good.

But in order for people here to help you, do some research first; what is your budget, your interests? For a week, with kids, I would recommend a flat rather than a hotel; more convenient and it gives you more space. Hotel rooms in Europe are small, if you want a room for 4.

There's lots of information on this site; do a search for London and Paris with kids, and for apartments.
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:39 AM

Fodor's has two books, "Paris with Kids" and "London with Kids". There are over 60 sights listed, each with recommended restaurants in the area.

Search this forum and the forums at Trip Advisor for posts on kids + London and kids + Paris.

Check your local library for other guide books and for DVD's on these cities.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:38 AM

What is "family friendly lodging"? That's a term with no real meaning -- any hotel can be very friendly to families because they get additional fees for extra beds. Ronald McDonald House (non-Americans -- this is a charity) is family friendly lodging but no one wants to use it because it means that one of the kids is horribly ill.

Go to vrbo.com and check out the listings, google london rent apartment (same for paris) and look for apartments that fit your price range.

London is the size of NYC; Paris has a larger population than Chicago. There is no "best for kids" neighborhood and there is no way to answer your question because you don't say what the little monkeys want to do or even what sex they are so folks can give you generic boy or girl suggestions.
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:13 AM

We took our children to Paris in 2004 when my daughter was 10 and my son 7. I can tell you some of the things that we did that they enjoyed (in no specific order): Eiffel Tower, Seine boat ride (day), Luxembourg Gardens (rented the miniature sailboats for an hour), Louvre (only to see the Mona Lisa and a few other famous pieces of art), Rodin Museum (just walked through the gardens and looked at the outdoor sculptures), Musee d'Orsay (again, just the famous paintings that my kids would recognize), the Ferris wheel in the Tuileries, Arc de Triomphe (did not go up to the top, just had dinner outdoors at Laduree), Versailles (half-day on our way to Normandy), and Notre Dame (the smell of the incense inside bothered my son, who had to leave). We did a lot of walking, but one thing we did not do was a lot of shopping, even though my daughter would have loved to spend more time in the shops. We were there four days/three nights.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your replies... I'm new to the site and just beginning to plan the trip. I wasn't really sure what info to provide. Sorry about being so vague (unintentional). My son is 8 and my daughter is 6. An apt sounds like a great idea as I am finding that rooms are not made for 4 people as a rule. What I mean about "family friendly" is that I'm looking for a property that my not-so-quiet children will be able to stay without offending any other guests. They have manners and won't be acting crazy but they are kids and sometimes things can just happen. This site seems to be quite helpful and I will start doing my homework. Again, I appreciate all the input and welcome more.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i> What I mean about "family friendly" is that I'm looking for a property that my not-so-quiet children will be able to stay without offending any other guests. </i>"

If you rent a flat --you will have the entire place to yourselves. No problem disturbing other guests because you'll be on your own.

What sort of nightly budget do you have? Most any central neighborhood is great --easy transport and such. But I agree, w/ young kids, being close to one of the major parks is a big plus. Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, Green Park, St James's, Regent's all are big parks w/ good neighborhoods nearby.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

I'm not sure of the costs of flats... maybe $200 - $300 per night??
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- $200 currently = approx £140 - by next Spring, who knows?? Anyway, that would be £980 a week.

$300 a night would be nearly £1500 a week. That is a VERY generous budget.

You should be able to find a nice 1 bedroom w/ a sofa sleeper, or maybe a 2 bdrm apartment in a very nice neighborhood for between £115 ($165) and £130 ($190) a night. And possibly less.

Of course the sky is also the limit -- if you want to spend more for posh.

Same in Paris - you'll find lots of flats for around $125-$200 (€100-€165) a night.

But again, we don't know what exchange rates will be next year -- could be a lot better . . . or worse
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for the input. I'm thrilled to know that I will hopefully be spending less than I anticipated. What are the best sources for securing an apt. I'm looking for a company with a strong reputation. I'm loving all the help. Thanks again!!
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:30 AM

We just finished that trip with a 6 yo, 8yo and 10yo... they had a great time. Haven't written a trip report yet (my bad), but I'll try and get it done. We did some really fun things that the kids enjoyed!
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:58 AM

There is a long thread re Paris apartments including lots of reviews of various services:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ent-thread.cfm

We went to Paris 3 years ago with our 6 yo son, and are leaving in a month for London and Scotland with our now 9 yo son and 4 yo daughter. The Fodors books are helpful, but I really like the Cadogan "Take the Kids" guide for Paris, and I'm relying a lot on Frommer's "London with Kids" for our upcoming trip.

Paris highlights for our son included: sailing boats on the fountain in the Tuilleries (also available at Jardin du Luxembourg); playgrounds which are found all over (particularly at Jardin du Luxembourg, see also the trampolines at the Tuilleries); using Batobus to get around (the per day price goes down a lot if you get a longer pass--we stayed on the Ille St Louis so we had easy access to a couple of stops); Menagerie at Jardin des Plantes; pet shops at the Quai de la Mégisserie; crepes; ice cream.

London plans include: Natural History Museum, Science Museum, Horse Guards (we've read it's much easier for children to have a good view of this than the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace), London Eye, Golden Hinde, Diana playground, Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London (if your kids can stay up late for this, it starts at 10 and you have to write ahead for tickets), Hampton Court Palace (including return by boat), London Transport Museum at Covent Garden.
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:13 AM

Perhaps more info that you're asking for, but here's my report of trip April of '09 with my 6 yr old granddaughter.

http://tinyurl.com/mkv9kd

How fun for all of you to be planning this trip!
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for the thread to Paris apts. Super helpful. Is there a thread to apts in London?? I'm leaning towords staying in the 6th or 7th Arr. in Paris... any thoughts or feedback?? Again, my kids are 6 and 8. Thanks
Old May 29th, 2010, 06:42 AM

We've made many trips to Europe with our kids, now 10 and 14:

1) Yes on apartments - you'll save money, all have more space and can get away from each other a bit, it gives the kids a sense of how "real" people live in those cities and not just the tourist world.
2) Choose an apartment near a great park - kids that age can't do tourist sites all the time. We stayed very close to Regents Park in London last summer and it was wonderful - they loved the various park activities, they loved being able to run around, they loved walking along the canal right by there. That's what real London children do too!
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:33 AM

make sure you travel by Eurostar between London and Paris. A great experience for you to try.