Reload this Page >

Returned from Paris with toddler, some observations

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:13 AM
trying

In Paris for a few days ending a week ago Monday. Took our 2.5 year old. Despite comments on this board, there were children everywhere we went. Granted, we only ate in neighborhood brasseries or cafes (not super fancy restaurants), but we saw lots of children in and around the restaurants and sites we visited. Interestingly, many of the families we came across spoke French and, I am guessing, were themselves tourists (possibly visiting from other areas of France). Another misconception: Clothing varied from person to person (whether French or not). Yes, some locals wore black, but despite opinions on this forum, jeans (often tight and often with faded patterns) were quite common. Shoes varied dramatically. Soccer-type tennis shoes were quite common. I'll be happy to answer questions. . .

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:45 AM
aboutkids

A friend of mine who lives in London thinks Paris is a great city for kids (unlike London). The French attitude toward kids is remarkable - kids go to restaurants and museums and are expected to behave well. She found that Londoners rarely take their kids out to dinner and have actually been turned away at restaurants in London! the wait staff in Paris restaurants went out of their way to make their daughter (age 3) comfortable and welcome.<BR><BR>Just relaying her observation, and not intended to start a row.

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Suzy

Many London pubs are not licensed for minors, so would have to turn away a family with kids.

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:54 AM
amy

Dear Trying: I'm interested in the "Despite comments on this board, there were children everywhere we went...". <BR><BR>I think I would have noticed if there had been a lot of statements on this forum that there are no children in Paris. After all, the French, not just Americans, have families, too. <BR><BR>I think what has been stated is don't go to Paris and expect "Happy Meals" at a Michelin 1 star.

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:56 AM
amy

Forgot to add with last post..."and our family witnessed an American mother asking for a children's menu at Jules Verne."

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Summer

I liked the title of this post. It sounds like someone kidnapped a toddler in Paris. (Fodorites will do anything for a special souvenir).

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:03 AM
xxx

...and I'm intrigued that "trying" found it "interesting" that many of the families she encountered while in France spoke French.<BR><BR>Does she perhaps confuse Paris with Disney World?<BR><BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Jen

Lighten up, xxx, she was just trying to make the point that the people she spoke to were't tourists from outside France. Was that too subtle for you?

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:10 AM
xxx

Oh, I know what her point was. I can't believe she is astounded that French people like to visit sites in their country, too.<BR><BR>She must be bowled over whenever she meets fellow Americans at the Jersey shore.

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:50 AM
trying

Humorous comments. I particularly like the souvenir comment. Amy and xxx, if you had read the comments on this forum regarding travel with children you would know that there are many people on this forum who suggest that children are not welcome in Europe (as if, as you noted, they don't have children in Europe!). Considering all such comments made on this forum, I was just particularly surprised at the number of tourists I saw with children and, yes, it should be a no-brainer, but a number of the tourists families were French. I was trying to correct a misconception, widely held on this forum, that children are not taken out in public or welcome in public in Europe (at least Paris). Perhaps my comments were poorly written.

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Jimmy

Trying: Having read a lot of the travel with children "debates" (and that is putting it nicely), I understood your comments. They were not poorly written, just poorly understood. Yes, there are children in Paris and I hope you and yours had fun.

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:04 AM
dan woodlief

I thought your post was fairly clear and interesting "trying," but I have read lots of the posts on traveling with children and was very familiar with the opinions referred to in your post. I have a three year old and would love to take her to Paris soon. I think she would really like it, but I am waiting until she is ready for such a long flight (an active child).

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:05 AM
dan woodlief

I would be very interested to hear what you did in Paris and what experiences you had when doing them with your child.

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:27 AM
trying

Dan: We obviously knew that our son would not "appreciate" the fine art and architecture, but we wanted him with us as we did our best to appreciate it. What our son liked (of course) was certain aspects of the physical environment: any open space such as around the Louvre and the Notre Dame was a good place to run. Right now he is into animals and enjoyed chasing the pigeons. He also enjoyed riding the "trains" (RER, Metro and Eurostar) and the boat we took on the Seine. He didn't appreciate the Louvre, per se, but we didn't expect him to. Though he enjoyed some of the commotion and all of the escalators! He really liked the excavation in front of the Notre Dame (lots to see at his level and buttons to push). He liked (a little too much when he saw some toys) a street market on the Rue cler. He liked seeing the "big buildings". He didn't like cobblestone, but did kind of like the Invalides with its displays (and horses). He did ok with the food. Croque monsiuer (sp?) and different salads were not too foreign to hime. We even found a hotdog for him at a baguette sandwich stand. We were only in Paris for 3 days, but for a longer trip we would have gone to some of the children-oriented museums. And he always likes exploring new hotel rooms. We had fun and so did he, even if sometimes on different levels.

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Louis Parent

Having traveled in Europe many times with my children, I can say that France is by far the most kid-friendly country.<BR>Just don't ask for a children menu. There is no such a thing. Most restaurants will be glad to prepare a "demie-portion" (half serving) of just about anything on the menu.

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Therese

Children's menus are, in my opinion, a stupid thing in any case. They're generally a list of nasty foods that you wouldn't want to eat, so why would you want to give them to your children? Restaurants (even relatively nice restaurants, both here and in France) are generally happy to prepare kid-suitable food without resorting to "chicken fingers and fries". Pasta or rice, some broiled chicken or fish, vegetables if they'll eat them. Half portions also work well, so long as the food is not overly spiced or exotic (though we encourage our kids to branch out along these lines as well). <BR><BR>I often order this sort of thing for my kids even in restaurants that DO have kids menus (though we generally avoid the sorts of restaurants that rely on that sort of food anyway).

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:08 AM
jan

In my opinion, while France is okay about children (and dogs!) the absolute most child-friendly country would have to be Italy...they are downright gaga for children, especially babies. You almost have to fight them off sometimes!

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Karl

The French regard taking your children to a restaurant as an essential learning experience. Just as, say Americans, consider teaching their children how to shoot a gun. The French know that the politics of eating and ordering wine are just as effective as a gun.<BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:48 PM
StCirq

I'm not a big fan of "kids'menus," nor our my kids, but it's inaccurate to say that there is no such thing in France. Menus enfants are everywhere that we've traveled in France in the past 15 years since we've had kids, and that includes Paris. It's almost invariably a choice of hamburger and fries, slice of ham and fries, or spaghettis bolognaise, a drink and a scoop of ice cream or sherbet. In the Dordogne, it's more likely to be a confit de poulet, but that's about the only exception I've witnessed.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:55 PM
nolene

I have found it interesting reading all the comments regarding children in Paris. I will be travelling there in September with my 3 and a half year old grandaughter. In her short life she has already had three trips to NZ and Australia and long distance travel is not a problem. My question is that when in Paris we intend to do a lot of walking and I would be interested to know if a jogging stroller would be too big and cumbersome on the streets. Also what is the situation regarding strollers in museums and the ease of use on the Metro. I have accessed the Louvre website and many other specific website but can not find any information about strollers in these places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -