Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

insane to take a 5yo and 7yo to Paris and London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at Spring break and feeling sad we're not going anywhere.... started checking frequent flyer miles and can go into Paris and out of London for 50k miles (direct flights and convenient times).

Thinking about taking my 7 yo and 5 yo. Am I insane ? Should I wait until they are older ?

My hubbie would go with us, so we have the extra hands to help, we would travel light (probably rent an apartment so can wash clothes). Thinking of 3 days in Paris, 3 days in London - and taking the Eurostar in-between. I'm thinking taking the train would be an adventure itself!

This would be over Easter -- is any city more 'closed' than the other ? We were thinking of starting in Paris and ending in London (flight schedules work better that way). I think with this plan we would be in London on Easter Sunday.

Thoughts ? thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:43 AM

surfmom, I think it is a wonderful idea. The first time I ever went to Paris was with my parents. I was 4, and I still remember parts of it. The first time I came back as an adult, I found the hotel where we stayed.

I think the apartment is a good idea. With your husband along, you should be fine.

I'm in Paris, so I can't tell you about Easter in London, but I would imagine there will be plenty to do.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:57 AM

You know your kids better than we do. Can they behave themselves? will they enjoy it?

I have been on tours where the young kids have been a joy and a total pain.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:09 AM

You and your husband can go IF and ONLY IF you realize that you can't see and do everything you could do without the kids...IF and ONLY IF you agree to go back to the apartment when and if they are tired to the point of a meltdown...IF and ONLY IF you realize that your dinner choices may be limited by having to eat earlier than most.

When my kids were small, we did very modest vacations...rented a condo on the beach, went to the lake, etc....NOT entirely because of the kids...partly because of my husband!

He is of the mind set of "if it can be seen, it MUST be seen"; "if it can be climbed, it MUST be climbed". When we went to Disneyworld (when the kids were older), we'd come back from the parks at 10 pm ready to die, and he'd put on his swim suit and try to talk the kids into going to the pool.

I knew that when the kids were small, there would be constant conflict and frustration if we took them on a "major" vacation where there was so much to do and see. There is no way-in DH's extreme vacation enthusiasm-that the kids would have gotten proper rest.

So, go with my blessing, if you promise to go at the kids' pace.

One more thing: YOu may not get any rest on the flights. It would be fantastic if the kids sleep, but if they don't, it will be hard on you. Our kids' first trip to Europe was when they were 13, 11 and 8...on the flight over, there was not a period of 10 minutes where one child or another did not need my attention for something. Last year (then, ages 15, 13 and 10), I hardly knew they were on the plane with me...what a difference a few years makes!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not insane to take kids that age to Europe especially if you're going to do the apartment thing. Both places offer plenty to engage kids.

However, I'd do one week in either Paris or London rather than split the time. 3 days isn't much time for adults to enjoy all that the two cities have to offer. You'll cover far less ground with two young ones.

Just me, but I wouldn't make a last minute trip like this but I'm much more of a planner (especially with my FF miles).
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:15 AM

We took three kids ages 3,9 and 11 to London and Paris two years ago and had such a good time that we're going back to Europe this summer. As stated previously, the only rule is that the trip must be tailored to what little ones enjoy. London was all about a few kid-friendly sights---boat rides and things to climb always work---and fun, pub food. Paris was seen through tripping through parks, including a fantastic amusement park right outside the city, accessible by the metro. We peeked in Notre Dame and enjoyed the Eiffel tower, but the Louvre just didn't cut it. So much of Europe for us is the atmosphere, and you can get that in many forms. Yet if someone is wed to certain restaurants and key experiences, it's better to wait a few years. As for the plane trip, our kids slept and watched movies. You might luck out with that!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:21 AM

We took our daughters on a spur-of-the-moment, use those frequent flier miles trip to Florence when they were 7 and 8. We had a blast. The key was to let them go at their own pace, and to leave time for them to relax in the apartment, especially the first couple of days when they were jet-lagged. We took them to some museums and the Duomo, but then my wife and I would spend more time there while the other went back to the apartment with the girls.

We visited Paris/Normandy for two weeks at Easter when the girls were 10 and 11. Again, it was a fantastic trip. We had an apartment in the 1st arrondisement about a ten minute walk to the Louvre. The museums didn't seem to be too crowded, even though schools were out, but we also had the Museum Pass, so we didn't have to wait in lines to get in. (The girls got into the museums for free. We never had any problem with them skipping the lines and going in with us since we had passes. I don't know if that's the way it officially works, but it worked for us.) The Good Friday service at Notre Dame is quite impressive, with displays of what are purported to be the Crown of Thorns and pieces from the true cross. The girls' favorite places were the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Eiffel Tower, the outdoor bird and flower mart near Notre Dame on Sunday, and the pond in the Luxembourg Gardens where people sail their model sailboats. We were in Honfleur for Easter Day, so I can't speak to what's open in Paris (or London)that day.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would pick Paris or London. It will be a lot easier just going to one place. Also more likely to find apartment rentals for a full week, rather than just 3 nights each place.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:34 AM

When we get back from our trip in March, our still- 6- yr- old daughter will have been to Paris 3 times already (as well as Rome, London, Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Kiev and Odessa once apiece). I'm not saying she enjoyed every minute on these trips (nor did WE), but she lived. And she remembers some of it. I say if you have the time and money- go for it. Life is short for all of us- who knows if there will be an opportunity later?

Rick
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM

Go! I don't think two cities would be impossible by any means but I agree with Suze that it might be easier to do one city or the other rather than both.

IMO, its less stressful to unpack and repack once with kids in tow. You already have a day of travel on both ends of the trip. Do you also want to have another travel day in the middle of the vacation when your time is limited?

Most apartment owners like to rent by the week although I've contacted some before who were willing to rent for less time at the last minute or during low season.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:45 AM

I've been to London over Easter and really enjoyed it. Be aware that the day after Easter (Easter Monday) is a "bank" holiday in the UK, as is Good Friday, but with a little advance planning disappointments are easily avoided.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:46 AM

I live in London and you will find Easter fine for a visit, it is very rare for anything to close (only Christmas Day). There are tonnes of things for kids to do. The London Eye, a boat trip down the Thames and the Natural History museum would be my top picks, but London is trying to become more child friendly. For example, the Tate Modern has recently installed a massive tube slide. Also, activities such as taking out a row boat in Hyde park are fun.
I'd say go for it!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:24 AM

I would also choose just one city if only going for a week. With kids in mind, that one city would be London. It is full of kid-friendly things to do: The London Eye, Changing of the Guard, Hyde Park & St. James Park, London Tower, cruise the Thames, and theatre at night (or even a matinee).

The food is great in London these days so they'll find things they like to eat. Riding in a cab on the "wrong" side will be a kick too.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM

Plus surfmom has failed to allow for jetlag. Splitting the time evenly between Paris and London is going to shortchange the first city. I agree a week in London is best. With a week you could do a daytrip on the train somewhere. Maybe York? Or to the coast?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:41 AM

Do you have an option for babysitting or is this a take the kids or can't go at all type thing?

While I love my 3 and 5 year old we are not planning on taking them to Europe until they are about 8 and 10 and can make memories that they will remember forever. Certainly each family should analyze their own situation but for me right now the best thing I can do for my two children is strengthen my marriage with their mother which we do by travelling together. For us trips are big financial events and so we only do them every 3 or 4 years. We're going one more time to Paris/Switz next year and then will hold off for a few years for the big family trip around 2012.

I certainly don't think kids shouldn't travel...but at ages up to 7 or 8 ALL kids want is time with mom and dad. They don't care if you are in Paris or in the back yard fort/pool. So for us financially it is a better idea to have fun here and save up for trips they will probably enjoy a lot more in a few years.

Once again this is our situation and different kids or different financial situations that allow for more frequent travel will change this for everyone. Just wanted to share my thoughts.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM

Just to respond to Wekiva's post, keep in mind that at some point , the kid discounts become fewer and fewer and they become priced like adults. For example, they are free on European trains until about 4 or 5, and on the Paris metro. They can sleep "free" in hotels when they are young. But as they age, much past 6 or so in some cases they get to be adults. Something to watch for
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Myself, I'd just go to Paris for a week and rent an apartment there. Certainly there's plenty to see and do to fill one week. And easier traveling with kids to just settle in once.

That said, if you do two cities, then I would get a hotel room, rather than bother with apartments. It will be *much* easier to arrange and pay for.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:56 AM

I echo the sentiment of Paris OR London. I went last June with my kids (6 & 8 at the time) to both cities, but I had two weeks. Personally, I would choose London. Both kids and my husband liked London better, and I know at Easter there will be many activities at all the museums, as well as elsewhere.

As for their ages, I think it depends more on their character, and only you can answer that. Mine had a great time going to the museums, Tower of London, Hampton Court, covent garden etc. They didn't like Greenwich as much. When we went to a museum, it wasn't for more than 1.5 hours, apart from the Natural History Museum, which I couldn't drag them out of. However I had told them in advance what kind of holiday to expect - no pool at the hotel, no beach, some parks, etc.

I think even at 5 and 7, a foreign land can really open up their eyes to other kinds of enjoyment, IF you think that they are amenable. If not, don't torture yourself and wait for another opportunity!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Wow! thanks for all the great replies.

toupary, I think its really cool that you remember being 4 somewhere.

wally, my kids are a joy and a pain. And usually in about a 5 minute span. In public, they usually behave very well. At home is when they do more of the 'testing', but as a friend reminded me, 'they wouldn't be kids if they don't test.'

missypie, some good thoughts. We just got back from Florida and they traveled really well - which is why I started thinking about this. But I'm a believer in consistent bedtimes (especially during vacations!) -- kids are usually in bed by 7:30 at the latest. Tired kids are definitely unhappy kids. This would definitely be a kid-oriented trip. I would probably go wander the area after kids are in bed (7:30) with my camera leaving daddy behind with a beer and to catch up on work emails.

niddy, also good thoughts about kid friendly activities. I found a page on fodors (plug here) that lists kids' activities in Paris. While I haven't read it in depth, I glanced through it and there were some good ideas that I'm not aware of. I think we would try and combine a fun kid-oriented activity with something a little more serious... ie. they know Picasso (we have a few books about him), so I'd like to take them to see that museum, they know Degas and some of the impressionists, so we'd probably try Musee d'Orsay. I figure 1 - 2 hours is about their max in a museum. As for Notre Dame, they've seem all my photos of the gargoyles, so we are going to the top even if we carry them!

obxgirl / suze / halfapair / mimar / amwosu, struggling with that decision about 3 days in each city. We definitely would be able to do less this way, but would truly hit the 'highlights' of each. Jet lag is obviously a concern also. As for the packing/unpacking thing, we are going to try and travel with carry-on's only. Little people require little clothes and with a w/d, I hope to only bring 2 changes of clothes - one to wear on the plane and 2 more. We can always visit Du Pareil Au Meme if we run out of clothes for them.. and for us, well, we can pack light. The hardest thing is the liquids limitation and I think we'll just buy shampoo, etc. there. So - what I'm trying to say is that I hope to minimize the packing thing whether it be in one city or two.

scottvan / carrie100, thanks for the feedback about London at Easter. Didn't realize that it is a bank holiday, so its good to know that.

57BelAir, some great ideas there. Didn't even think of the market outside Notre Dame. Also not aware of the Good Friday stuff at Notre Dame, but could be interesting.

rs899, wow! impressive amount of traveling so young. I'm jealous... Good information about kids traveling free for certain ages, I'll have to investigate that.

Wekiva, I agree that a good family starts with a good marriage. My husband has had work trips that I've gone alone with him the last few years and I've used my parents for that. For this trip, I would leave our 3yo with my parents for the week (he loves Gma/Gpa!) But to leave all 3 is a handful since my parents aren't getting younger. We're lucky we're in a position to be able to do this (the free airfare thing helps) and hope to be able to travel individually with them in future years. While I agree that kids just want to spend time with their parents, if we don't go anywhere on vacation, my dh will work and I'll have them. Which is fine - I'm a sahm, and used to it, so the kids certainly see way too much of me already

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. We have until Saturday night to decide (holding the flights for us), so I'm going to visit the bookstore tonight and park in front of the Europe section and find more kid-friendly things to do and see if its do-able.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:07 AM

I think you, your husband, and the kids could have a great time. I agree with one city only. If you are concerned about budget, Paris is likely cheaper. The apartment sounds like a good idea.

The parents can split up the kids and go to different places to some extent, because the 5-year-old and 7-year-old will likely not have identical interests or tolerances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -