Search

Midsummer in Helsinki

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midsummer in Helsinki

Dear all,

I need help on my Finland itinerary. I'll arrive Helsinki on Midsummer Eve (Friday, June 25) and stay for a couple of days. I heard that Midsummer Festival is a big thing there and virtually all shops will shut down. Can you kindly suggest how I should spend the next 3 days (over the Midsummer weekend) in Helsinki? I believe there are some Midsummer celebrations on Seurasaari Island. Anything else?

Thanks.
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:13 AM

try to get over to tallinn in estonia for a day trip
easy to do with the ferry services and well worth the time
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good download of Tallian on this site if you decide to visit. Richard WWW.INYOURPOCKET.COM
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:14 AM

Helsinki is a fine walking city, and Tallinn and Suomenlinna make enjoyable day trips. My phototravelogue is a few years old, but you may still find some ideas at: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-95hdl3
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:51 PM

Many places will be closed on Friday as well. Lots of folks start leaving the city for their summer cottages on Wednesday and Thursday.
Last year I went to Seurasaari for the celebration--buses were running late to take everyone home. Weather was nice. It was interesting with folk dancing, music, food, and bonfires. Most all the announcements and programs were in Finnish with no translation.

Saturday no buses out in the suburb where I was staying and almost everything was closed. I unexpectedly found a small restaurant in a park that was open, but that was it. I was told I wouldn't even be able to get a taxi because all the drivers had stayed up all night and didn't (or couldn't) work. I did lots of exercise that day.

I agree with suggestion to go to Tallinn on Saturday.
Suomenlinna is nice half day outing, but check the schedule for that Saturday for the ferry, museums, tours etc. as they may be closed.