Search

Traveling from Los Angeles to England, Paris,France, Italy -HELP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling from Los Angeles to England, Paris,France, Italy -HELP

Hello there,

This is my first time traveling to Europe and I can really use some guidance.

First off traveling from Los Angeles, CA to England for 5-7 days to visit Godson in Lakenheath Air Force Base in Mid June then hoping to make it to Paris, Italy (Tuscany, Venice, Rome (Vatican)

Any recommendations on which route to take, methods of transportaiton, places to stay/visit number of days, etc...would be greatly appreciated!

Looking to take a total of 14 vacation days from time leaving LAX back home.
Thank you!
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 10:14 AM

14 days total from LA.
Days 1 and 14 will be all about getting to and from Europe.
Therefore you have 12 days on the ground to do anything.
You plan for 5-7 days in Godson.
That leaves 5-7 days to see Paris, Tuscany, Venice, and Rome.
If you spend just 5 days in Godson, you have 7 days to visit elsewhere. Given the places you hope to visit, I would visit no more than 2 of the 4 in the 7 days.
Keep in mind that every time you change hotels/cities you will lose at least half a day to travel and logistics.
Also be sure to check into multicity flights: fly LA to England; travel around; fly from last place (Paris? Rome?) to LA.

Possibilities I see with your timing:
Godson + Paris
Godson + Paris + Venice
Godson + Venice + Rome
Godson + Paris + Rome
Godson + Rome
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 10:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ellenm has about laid out your options (only I think it is to visit your God son -- not <i>in</i> Godson )
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both very much for your input. Yes, I will be traveling to see my Godson who is in the Air Force in England then plan on heading off to the other places. Just to confirm. London + Paris + Tuscany + Venice + Rome is not very likely given the time frame? Is travel between each place considered a day trip, plane suggested between all destinations? Thank you again. Sorry for sounding clueless...I really am when it comes to this trip...
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 11:17 AM

every single time you move from one city/country to another you basically lose minimum 1/2 a day - and often a full day.

You have to pack, check out, transfer to the train station or airport, travel to the next destination, transfer to your next hotel, check in,unpack -- most of a day is shot. By the time you start to get even just a tiny bit acclimated to the new city, you have to pack up and start all over again.

day 1 is spent flying from the west coast to the UK; day 2 is mainly just getting your feet under you and recovering from jetlag; day 14 is eaten up w/ packing and getting to the airport 3 hours before your flight home.

So your 14 days is now down to 11 days actually free to see things. Then subtracting the rest of your travel time doesn't leave much. You could very easily spend the whole time in England. But a few days w/ your Godson, and1or 2 other places is really all that is practical. Which one or two of your wish list are most important to you? Then we can help you work out a doable plan.

Also -- are you flying home from Rome or London? That makes a HUGE difference. If Rome-- you pretty much have to include Rome. If London -- you should travel back to London the night before your flight out.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Most important are
1. England
2. Tuscany
3. Rome (Vatican)
4. Paris

London doesn't necessarily have to be the first place we hit....not sure if it makes more sense to do the other places and end the trip with England...then home...looking for recommendations...

If I wanted to hit all of the places on my list, how many days total vacation time is recommended?

Once again I thank you for time and input. Greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Well - that's a start. But still too much in two weeks (which is actually only 12 days).

If you want to go to East Anglia (where Lakenheath is), London, Paris, Rome and Tuscany - you'd need a minimum of 3 weeks -- and that would still be pretty rushed.

It will help a bit if you fly open jaw - in to one city and home from another. Say, to London and home from Rome.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Meant to add -- since you are flying out of LAX you probably know the west coast. Your original plan would be like flying in from Japan and visiting LA, San Diego, the Grand Canyon/Zion, Seattle, and San Francisco in 12 days.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 12:27 PM

I concur with all the postings above.

If you have 12 free days as originally planned, then the five options outlined by ellenem are possible, though still rushed.

If you have three weeks LAX to LAX, then you might have time for 5 days with your Godson and THREE (not all 4) of what you listed as "most important".

Hate to be one bringing harsh reality to your plans, but you'll be glad you listened to these experienced travelers. Trust us.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Makes perfect sense...THANK YOU....looks like we'll be cutting the trip to England, Tuscany and Rome....doable?
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Yes, that is doable. Be sure to book open jaw flights -- either in to Italy and home from London, or in to London and home from Italy -- to maximize your time.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 05:31 PM

To visit all of the places you want and really have time to see anything:

1 Leave LA
2 Arrive London
Days 3 to 8 visit godson
Day 9 Fly to rome
Days 10 to 12 Rome
Day 14 Rome to Tuscany
Days 16 through 18 Tuscany
Day 19 Head to Venice
Days 20 to 22 Venice
Day 23 Venice to Paris
Days 24 through 26 Paris
Day 27 Return home

Note that this is minimum number of days in Rome and Paris - I think each really requires 5 full days (6 nights) for a first visit.

You can of course follow your original plan - but it will really be a tour of the train stations of europe.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank each and every one of you for your reply.

At present it looks like we'll be doing:

LAX to Rome
Rome to Tuscany
Tuscany to London
London to LAX

Any recommendations on lodging, transportation
Which order we should travel in etc?
Once again, thank you!
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 11:51 AM

A few Rome options in <b>Rome</b>:

cheap -

http://www.hotelprimavera-roma.it/eng/index.html

moderate -

http://www.hotelteatrodipompeo.it/
http://www.residenzacanali.com/?lang=en

expensive -
http://www.hotelpontesisto.it/

very expensive -
http://www.stgeorgehotel.it/

in <b>Tuscany</b>:

WHERE in Tuscany? It's a big region with hundreds of towns and villages. Sienna is just one logical base as it is central to the region (if you want to stay in a town as opposed to someplace more rural). Need more info on what you are looking for...

..in <b>London</b>:
cheap -
http://www.sevendialshotellondon.com/

moderate -
http://www.thecommodorehotel.co.uk/

expensive -
http://www.thecavendish-london.co.uk/
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Forgot to mention transport:

Take a train from Rome to where ever you end up in Tuscany and <b>rent a car</b> for your stay there. Drop off the car in Pisa - where you will find the best (and cheapest) non-stops to London from that area.