Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling between Paris, London and Amsterdam

Old Apr 9th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling with 5 other family members to Paris in June. We want to go to Amsterdam and London. What is the best way to travel? Plane? Train? Also, is it best to go from Paris to London to Amsterdam to Paris or from Paris to Amsterdam to London to Paris?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 06:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It makes no difference which order you do things.

Train is 'generally' better between London and Paris and between Amsterdam and Paris. Between A'dam and London is 'generally' better flying.

What is important is to fly open jaw into one city and home from another.

So you could fly to Paris, train to London, fly to Amsterdam, fly home . . . or any other combination. Such as fly to A'dam, train to Paris, train to London, fly home -- OR -- Fly to A'dam, fly to London, train to Paris, fly home.

You pick 'em
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 06:03 PM

I love trains, and the trains between these cities are all nice, comfortable trains with frequent service. Trains get you from city center to city center, so no dealing with getting to an airport, going through security, etc.

The Eurostar from Paris to London makes sense. However, if you must return to Paris after Amsterdam, I'd probably from from London to Amsterdam - and then maybe train back to Paris from there.

Of course, even more ideal would be to fly into London out of Amsterdam or vice versa and take the train from London to Paris and Paris to Amsterdam - but you make it sound like you've already bought your Paris plane tickets...
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 06:24 PM

When selecting tickets, of course not two one-way, but not RT either. Choose multi-city or multi-destination. It will save the cost and time of backtracking.

Because departure taxes are higher from London, fly into London, train from London to Paris, train from Paris to Amsterdam and home from Amsterdam.
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 10:36 PM

This is what I would do.. fly into London.. start off in an English speaking country, plus its a bit closer so less of an overseas flight.
Then I would take Eurostar to Paris.. easy, 2.5 hours city center to city center.
Then from Paris I would take the Thalys to Amsterdam and fly home from Amsterdam.

You could reverse the order, but the airports in London have higher departure taxes.. so I would fly out of Amsterdam instead.

Purchase train tickets as soon as you can, they can be quite cheap purchased months in advance and the prices only get higher closer to departure date ( significantly so ).

Bring picnics on the trains. . you are allowed and most people do.. make the train trip fun. You can bring liquids ( including wine for lunch ) with you too.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 01:57 AM

Once I did a pretty stupid thing - I went from Paris to London by bus. It costed me 20eu but I had to go out of the bus for maybe three times during the night for security check-ups... Don't do this if you can afford something more comfortable
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 05:04 AM

Airport fees are built in to the ticket price. Using a multi-destination search function, you can look at the bottom line without trying to calculate tax and surcharge influence; the price is what the price is, however the airline tries to itemize it. Anyhow, for major train routes and European internal flights, the sooner you buy, the less it will cost, prices sometimes doubling (or more) as departure date nears. www.seat61.com
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 08:24 AM

Land in London

take Eurostar train to Paris

take Thalys train (3.5 hrs) to Amsterdam

Fly home from Amsterdam.

easiest way or vice versa so you need not do Amsterdam-London or v.v. though that is easy via train - Thalys to Brussels then Eurostar - about as quick as flying - about 5 hours tops.

Booking every early can save money - www.eurostar.com and www.thalys.com. For lots on trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 08:33 AM

Basically, everybody is telling of the same thing.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 08:34 AM

Sorry, telling you the same thing.