Reload this Page >

Travel to Paris with Adult Children

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Cindy

We are going to Paris with our adult children,(mid-late twenties) and son-in-law in February. It is our Christmas gift to them. We are renting an apartment and hope to do some things together and some things apart. Does anyone else have any experiences of this kind to share? Can a family coexsist in a small apartment, and cooperatively travel together for a week? This may sound like a silly question, just looking for some feedback. Thanks

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Andrea

I spent 2 weeks in Italy with my husband and his parents last fall (I'm in my late 20's - for not much longer!!). We all had a wonderful time. It can be done!<BR><BR>As with any group vacation, I think the most important thing is to discuss expectations ahead of time. You have the exact right idea to plan for some time together and some time apart.<BR><BR>Planners should be free to zoom off exploring museum after museum, Relaxers should be free to sit in a cafe for hours and watch the world go by.<BR><BR>My only other advice would be to treat them as you would a couple of friends your age, instead of children (i.e. no comments about where &quot;the kids&quot; want to eat for dinner, no disciplining that you wouldn't do with another couple your own age). Hopefully, they will treat you with the same respect. <BR><BR>Have a wonderful time! If you want to adopt another 20-something before your trip . . .

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Rex

I am researching apartments for a group that will include (at a minimum) my wife and myself, our three (young) adult daughters (1980, 1982, 1984), and maybe one or two others of that age. Even when an apartment has enough sleeeping space, it seems more cramped than we want for bathroom. I can't tell for sure if you are four, five or more, but I would urge you to look into two smaller apartments (thus getting a bathroom in each) rather than one larger apartment. I say this knowing full well that it is nice to have a larger (or &quot;real&quot living room, dining area or kitchen.<BR><BR>But I think not so cramped with more (rather than less) adequate opportunity for showers and other &quot;primp&quot; time/space might make this a better gift.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Fred

Certainly. We've done it with our sons, our sons and their wives, and all of them plus grandchildren. Just make it clear that anyone can go their own way if they wish, you don't have to be group all the time. For more Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com <BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Cindy

Thanks for the replies. I am a planner and my daughter is more laid-back, so therein lies the worry. I like to be on the go most of the time, so I will do that when I can and try to be more relaxed. I may even enjoy it. We don't have the option of two apartments (cost). But we raised them in a small, one bathroom house and we are very adept at maneuvering in small spaces. We look forward to a memorable trip.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Julie

This should be a wonderful trip for you. My advice, have breakfast together, go your separate ways during the day (but vary the groupings from time to time if it works out that way, e.g. one time you go with the young couple and your husband with the singleton, another the reverse, sometimes you and your husband alone while the kids go off together, etc.)and then meet up for dinner to swap stories. Paris offers so many options that there will certainly be something for everyone without requiring anyone to do something they don't want to. Enjoy

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Ann

We continue to travel with our &quot;children&quot; (now in their 20's); we're off to France with them over the Christmas holidays. My husband and I love traveling with them, and we're not hearing any complaints from them. So, absolutely, go for it! I agree with Andrea's advice - treat them as adults, and be flexible! And as others have said, some time apart during the day would help, too. Have a wonderful time, and feel really good about the fact that they want to spend this time with you!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 08:36 AM
trying

You have received some valuable advice. I would review some of the &quot;bad travel companion&quot; threads to see what to protect against. I think unrealistic expectations are the primary thing. Many problems stem from those people who expect to do no research and then are upset when they must follow someone else's lead. Make a joint effort at planning the trip, even if &quot;planning&quot; is saying every couple is on their own. Make it clear you are not a tour guide. Make it clear that everyone is responsible for their own experiences. Or, if you want to, you could have everyone post what they want to do and see if there is overlap and share those experiences. In Paris, though, there would be a lot of overlap, so be judicious (sp?) in agreeing to go together to each site.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 03:22 AM
vgt

very good thread<BR>

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:15 AM
xox

Cindy,<BR><BR>We are doing the same thing in Jan. This will be the first time we have taken the children (grown) and son-in-law. We have decided to get a room for the married daughter and husband and a room for the single daughter. Just to keep peace in the family and privacy. (Too many people in the bathroom in the mornings.) This is a short trip 2 days in Paris and 2 days in London. We will be limited on what we can see so the kids said it is ok for mom and dad to be &quot;tour guides&quot; I hope that this works out ok!

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Jill

Considering the size of most Paris apartments you are going to be very very cramped. It does not sound like fun to me for anyone even if you all love one another and normally get along fine. The married couple should have a little privacy, likewise you too. If you have not already gotten committed to the apt. I'd opt for two hotels rooms, that way you'd get 2 bathrooms. Lord only knows how everyone is going to take care of business in a tiny apt. bathroom!

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Jill

Incidentally, I'd not schedule too much &quot;together time&quot; either. Do some things separately, you will all appreciate one another a little more with some separation. I'm sure you are not all interested in the same things so if one couple wants to do museums and the other the shops by all means split up.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 10:07 AM
cindy

Once again, thanks for the comments. Jill, the apartment is a decent size and as for privacy, well, none of us minds not being &quot;alone&quot; for a week. We raised them in a small house with one bathroom. It will be like old times. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts.