Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip with 10 wk old baby -- which Parisian apt would you choose?

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just canceled our vacation to the Caribbean due to concerns with subjecting the baby to too much sun and mosquitoes -- we now plan to head to Paris next Tuesday. This is our first baby and we have no idea what traveling with him will be like but I'm hoping he's as sleepy and good tempered as he is at home.

We've both been to Paris before although not with each other -- I'd like easy access to food and beautiful walks. Our French is terrible. We will likely spend more time in the apt than we normally would since I need to pump milk every 4-5 hours and of course, we are more tired than usual. We are considering the following apts that have offered us last minute rates:

1. http://www.vrbo.com/35838 near Mouffetard, looks convenient. 900 E/wk

2. http://www.vrbo.com/261879 in the 10th, I don't know this hood but heard it's charming, convenient, and away from the tourist center. Afraid it's too small. 600 E/week

3. http://www.vrbo.com/25701 - Marais -- biggest but most expensive. I really like this one but don't know if I can afford it. 1500 E/wk

4. http://www.parisrentalconnections.co...rty/?propid=57 -- Marais, 900 E/wk

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 06:53 AM

Don't feel you need to reply since this iis personal but can you take with a portable purse sized pump and small cooler pack with you so that you aren't limited to having to be back at the apartment every 4-5 hours? That seems like you would just get out the door and have to be back home again. Could you find a discreet restroom in which to pump?
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 06:56 AM

I really am the last one on here to offer advice about apartments but have you thought about a hotel staying in a suite so you have a separate area for sleeping and living. The only reason is because after months of thinking about apartments we have decided to do this . . some hotels offer club level benefits and you might be able to sort an inhouse babysitter and go down stairs for a quickish romantic dinner etc also always having room service and the luxury of a hotel for room service and spa services etc sorry if this has confused you but as a mum of two kids the whole apartment thing and paying upfront etc just got all too much! Good luck ...and enjoy!
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to find restrooms to pump while we're out and about -- it takes me almost 20 minutes so there would have to be a lot of stalls for me to not tie up a bathroom.

Any suggestions about places where I could pump would be wonderful.... McDonalds? Changing rooms at large dept stores? Should I just plop down and do this on a park bench?
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 07:08 AM

My suggestion for an apartment for a trip with a 10wk old would be your own at home. Pumping will be a real inconvenience and at least once on the plane could be very awkward. Bathrooms are not the best place to do this at all..If you are tired now you will find you are even more so on this jaunt. Carting stroller, car seat, diaper bags, pumps,coolers and other sundry stuff will wear out the most well conditioned mom. Now the exposure to different foods, waters, time zones and pollutions to which your body must adjust will impact your system and therefore your baby's. April in Paris, as wonderful as the song says, may be your nightmare in Paris. Sounds like Tuesday fast approaches so if you must do this have lots of disinfecting wipes, and take it very easy. I know some airlines are not very helpful when it comes to breast milk considering it a body fluid and such nonsence so you might want to check out any complications there for heating bottles erc. All that said..my best to you and yours and Happy Trails.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 07:12 AM

Oh heavens! No, no pumping on a park bench! In some parts of Europe the bathroom walls and doors to the stall go floor to ceiling so there is discretion. It's been a while since I've been to France so I don't know. I know pumping in a public place is not ideal and I can imagine that McDonalds would not be the cleanest of places. My point was, I think with your baby at 10 weeks it is almost ideal for a couple to be able to get out and tour around and a shame to be bound to having to break up a wonderful opportunity to see Paris by having to stay close to the apt. Baby isn't crawling at that age and is either napping or amused by sitting/laying in a stroller so take advantage.

There's got to be some web info on a parent site that lists out what you might be looking for.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 07:16 AM

Well, you might get some glances on a park bench but I would happily deal with that over sitting in a unsanitary toilet stall.

Most cafés and restaurants have one or two toilets at most, not practical or polite to occupy one for 20 minutes. By the time you would find a store with changing rooms, you could be back at your flat. Actually, I'm not sure whether you mean a diaper changing room or a room to try on clothes but my comment still stands.

Crazy's comment is semi-reasonable but will make the 1500€ apartment seem like a bargain, which it may well be given your needs.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 07:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
For us, it would have to be your #1 apt. as we much prefer the left bank area to the Marais. It's close to Lux. Gardens. If the weather cooperates the outside space in the Lux. Garden and also the courtyard of the apt. would be nice.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 07:22 AM

I can see nursing on a parkbench but not pumping. Are there no nursing corners in the big department stores around Paris? Like in the US at Nordstrom. Comfy chairs and foot massagers.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 07:34 AM

Finecheap,

Pumping can be accomplished just as discretely as breast-feeding.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 08:31 AM
cw

I like #1 and #3. I think those are the most central locations for you to come and go. #3 has a separate washer and dryer which is not common and is a great convenience, and #1 being near the Luxembourg Gardens is nice.

I don't think #4 has an elevator and it says it's on the 3d floor so probably the 4th floor U.S.

Good luck!
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Hey all - we aren't bringing any gear for the baby besides a sling. He drinks breast milk at room temperature and will also drink it straight from fridge so we don't plan on heating bottles unless we are home. We don't feel comfortable leaving him in any babysitting service at this point so a hotel would not benefit us -- and I also want a kitchen so that eating at odd hours is easy.

Regarding the pumping: I plan to pump once on the plane sitting in the window seat with a nursing cover over me. my husband to the left holding the baby. The pumping noise should be largely drowned out by the ambient plane noise -- I don't see this bothering anyone?

I'm a bit worried about sanitary conditions in restrooms which is why I thought I should return to the apt, I could stretch it to pumping every 5 hrs. But now I'm wondering if I use the nursing cover, if I could do this on a park bench or similar -- it may be a bit cold outdoors next week?

I'm leaning towards #1 -- it looks sunny, reasonably sized, well-located, food options right outside the door, good places to walk around, close enough to walk to major tourist sites if we feel up to it.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 11:02 AM

Good choice...where does an infant sleep. See? My mother put me in a drawer when she went visiting...and I turned out ok...and I turned out OK.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 01:55 PM

Sueciv..I think that was standard practice..I did that to mine also.. fishee, yes # 1 looks like a winner.. Again happy trails!!
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 02:32 PM

Hi,
We traveled to Greece when our son was 7 months old and I was exclusively pumping for him by then (darn teething ruined nursing for him). I used a nursing cover and pumped in the rental car which worked well once we left Athens. When in the city, I used the restroom at McDonalds while my husband ate (we felt like we should buy a meal if using a bathroom stall for 15 minutes!) and played with the baby. The pump I had (Medela) is very discreet and looks like a large black purse. I found that I could stretch to 6 hours if needed with no impact on milk supply, but this is personal for each woman.
Have a great trip!!!
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 02:36 PM

PS
I had no problems pumping in the window seat of the plane while covered with a nursing cover, my husband to my right shielding me from the aisle. The plane noise indeed blocked out the noise of the pump.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 02:38 PM

Sorry, one additional PS. Bring LOTS of disinfecting wipes in case you do end up using public restrooms (despite the best plans, a baby can get hungry unexpectedly). Babies R Us sells them in portable packs that you can throw in the diaper bag for the day.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh how wonderful, fishee, congratulations!

Well, leaving out the most expensive one (my favorite), I'd probably take the one on rue Cujas because it appears to be the most pleasant compromise between what will be convenient with a baby and what you and your partner would perhaps choose without a baby (say, the 10th or the other one in the 3rd).

Again, you have my sincere congratulations!
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

leely --you're so very sweet, thank you! I appreciate your input.

texasaggie --please share any tips you have about exclusive pumping. I've been trying to figure out how to navigate through life while attached to this medela pump. It's definitely easier now than when I was pumping every 2-3 hours the first 6 weeks. Big relief to know that pumping on the plane was do-able, I was almost considering changing non-stop flights to a layover which would have been a pain and added many hours to our travel.

thanks to everyone, you're all always so helpful.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 06:08 PM

I am not sure if this is being helpful - but quite a few years ago when we stayed in Paris with our then youngest at 5 months I was able to breast feed him quite easily in most places.
Indeed despite trying to be discreet and sit quietly in a corner of a place I was often overwhelmed by groups of older women congratulating me on having a baby and on feeding him!

The same happened when out visiting various small towns and sites!

This was my third so I was pretty relaxed and thus had no need to have breast milk stored in a bottle ever on this trip.
This is a great age to travel with a bub as they cannot run away from you or ask for anything much other than a feed.

Have a wonderful time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -