Search

travel tips

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travel tips

My husband and I are trying to plan a trip to Ireland, Scotland and England. We used eurorail passes throughout Western Europe last year and would like to travel like that again. We are finding that travel on these islands is a bit different, we would like to used public transportation opposed to renting a car. Is this the smartest way to travel? Is there a big difference between standard class and first class on the trains in any of these countries? We need a bit of advice on how to travel and any spots that are truly worth seeing on any of these islands. Actually, any advice is welcome at this point.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:41 PM
rex

Okay, first advice: re-post this with a header that aactually indicates what you are asking.

"Seeking advice and travel tips for our trip to Ireland, Scotland and England - - particularly on travel within the British Isles".

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:58 PM

I am a huge fan of traveling by train in Europe. But in my opinion, in Scotland and Ireland, you've picked two places where you really want a car to make the most of your trip. It's easy to take the train in parts of England. Maybe you want to take a train to Edinburgh and then rent a car from there?

A good place to start, to gather tips about what to see in Scottland and Ireland would be to do a search for trip reports. There are quite a lot of them here.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:01 PM

I'm really reluctant to answer this one because the title is so vague. Almost every single thread is asking for or giving "travel tips". You really should start a new thread w/ a better title.

But before you do maybe do a little research and narrow down what you are asking.

You are asking about three really diverse places and rail travel works for some areas - doesn't for others.

"how to travel and any spots that are truly worth seeing on any of these islands" - - there are quite literally thousands of spots "truly worth seeing"

So when you post your new thread -- include things like how long your trip will be, what time of year, what sorts of things you enjoy -- things like that.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM

Train travel is really not an option for ireland - servce is slow and scarce and won;t reach a lot of places you want to see. Car is reallt the only option here is you want to go beyond Dublin. Most of Scotland is the same. Train is a better optoin in England - depeding on where you want to go.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 01:15 AM

Outside of Dublin the train is not economical not is it quick. I would rent a car for outside of Dublin
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:07 AM
rex

Bringing your message back up "to the top" since it is your first message here, ever...
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:48 AM

t
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:19 AM
hsv

helpmewithtravel,